Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 02:38 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Did I say the victims shouldn't fight back?

I thought SAFETY is the primary concern here??? Am I wrong? Isn't that's what's been said by gun nuts repeatedly??

Who said you must fight? fighting is not safe. Just run. You don't have to be the best fighter, just be able to run and dial 911 at the same time; or run to the nearest safe location if you don't have a cell handy.

I'll always try and take the high road if possible. Having said that, if someone has barged into my home, they've pretty much limited my options, as well as theirs. In other words, if someone wants burglarize my home, it would be in their best interest to do so when I or my family members aren't there. To do so when I am there isn't actually being safe on their part now, is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 02:45 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not rocket science.

Let's use medical science, then.

Randomly stab someone in the torso multiple times, and they can still easily reach for and use a gun. EASILY.

-Trauma doc

If the person can easily reach for a gun, then that person can also easily opens the door and get the hell out of there, doesn't it?

Old 09-09-2015, 02:48 PM

187 posts, read 270,399 times
Quote:
Who said you must fight? fighting is not safe. Just run. You don't have to be the best fighter, just be able to run and dial 911 at the same time; or run to the nearest safe location if you don't have a cell handy.
Who said that you must fight? No one...

Of course the better option is to get away to a safe location. Don't be a hero, especially as a bystander to another crime. But as many in this thread have stated, there are so many possibilities and scenarios that you can't do a one-size-fits-all how to handle yourself as a victim. To think as such is just ignorant.

Yes, in many scenarios it is far safer to run away or just hand over the cash register or your wallet and be done. You just simply may not be capable of drawing your weapon even if you do have it, may be bystanders that could be hit by the bullet, may be a clear exit path to run, you may not be a direct target to the criminal, etc.

There are also many scenarios where that gun may save your life. One example was posted with the lady getting robbed.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I'll always try and take the high road if possible. Having said that, if someone has barged into my home, they've pretty much limited my options, as well as theirs. In other words, if someone wants burglarize my home, it would be in their best interest to do so when I or my family members aren't there. To do so when I am there isn't actually being safe on their part now, is it?
Fine. If you're the type of person to prefers to stand your ground, it's a free country.

But that is a different argument than "Guns make it safer for me than other options."

Old 09-09-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
If the person can easily reach for a gun, then that person can also easily opens the door and get the hell out of there, doesn't it?

OTOH... one less criminal that we as a society would have to deal with. The POS could have easily chosen to be an upstanding and productive citizen, and not try to rob someone! Actions have consequences! Trying to rob people is a high risk "occupation" in which one tends to end up in prison, or dead.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Sorry.

I know I was going to refrain from any more responses, but I HAVE TO KNOW how you draw this conclusion.

PLEASE can you walk me through the thought process here?

She was going to be robbed.

She pulled her gun and shot the robber.

She was NOT robbed.

How does that equal "For one, having a gun certainly DID NOT prevent the crime from happening to the woman".

She used her gun and prevented the robbery. Isn't that EXACTLY what happened?

My head is spinning so hard that anyone could make the claim that she DID NOT prevent the crime from happening.

Because having a gun did not deter the crime. The crime still happened.

This is in contrast to some posters who said, "Criminals know my neck of the woods are well armed, so they leave us alone."

Do you get it now?

Old 09-09-2015, 02:53 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
But that is a different argument than "Guns make it safer for me than other options."
I'd argue that the elderly 85-year-old was much safer once he shot the 34-year-old thug who kicked down his door and was entering his house with his thug accomplice. The gun had the immediate effect of making the old man safe.

Quote:
Because having a gun did not deter the crime. The crime still happened.
Only the attempted robbery of her happened. We know for a fact the actual robbery was thwarted, and we can speculate that it may have prevented a deadly assault, a rape and possibly a murder.

Quick question for you. Would you rather be the victim of an attempted robbery or a robbery?

Old 09-09-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
OTOH... one less criminal that we as a society would have to deal with. The POS could have easily chosen to be an upstanding and productive citizen, and not try to rob someone! Actions have consequences! Trying to rob people is a high risk "occupation" in which one tends to end up in prison, or dead.
I agree. But it doesn't mean the victim should be the one carrying out the justice...

Old 09-09-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf408 View Post
Who said that you must fight? No one...

Of course the better option is to get away to a safe location. Don't be a hero, especially as a bystander to another crime. But as many in this thread have stated, there are so many possibilities and scenarios that you can't do a one-size-fits-all how to handle yourself as a victim. To think as such is just ignorant.

Yes, in many scenarios it is far safer to run away or just hand over the cash register or your wallet and be done. You just simply may not be capable of drawing your weapon even if you do have it, may be bystanders that could be hit by the bullet, may be a clear exit path to run, you may not be a direct target to the criminal, etc.

There are also many scenarios where that gun may save your life. One example was posted with the lady getting robbed.

Correct. Very good points.

Quote:
Fine. If you're the type of person to prefers to stand your ground, it's a free country.

The poster above said it better than I did. And as I said, I will always try to take the high road. However; again when the perp has barged into my home, the options are indeed limited and in that aspect I will stand my ground.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:57 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
I agree. But it doesn't mean the victim should be the one carrying out the justice...
She was PREVENTING crime.

Now you believe crime prevention should be avoided?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies