Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 12:59 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Indeed that is possible. But yes, that is my point. These are general idea's, not policy or law.
And my problem with that is that a lot of republicans have been elected on general ideas.

Quote:
And those who argue for a suffocating government. Neither are correct.
I completely agree, however I dont see the opposite being advocated. that could be my own bias, but i just dont see it.

Quote:
Most who argue that also argue a replacement.
the few examples I have seen of a replacement is simply going back to the old ways(higher import tax), which isnt going to work either.

Quote:
I'd start with the wars and foreign aid.

Total US foreign aid last year was 40.1 billion, the troops in Afganistan was 90 billion( the info im looking at is on a graph in increments of 10, so it could be a little more, or less).

cutting both of those things is only about 10% of the amount you need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 01:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
You're kidding, right? RP blames the US for foreign issues as easily as he draws breath. You can start with 9/11... one of his faves.
Then feel free to provide his statements.

I believe you once supported pedophilia. Not that I actually have to provide anything to back that up, it should just be a given.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:57 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Ron Paul, Pat Buchanan and others have rightfully stated there have been negative consequences from our midadventures in foreign lands. To quote Buchanan "Terrorism is the price of empire".

Old 09-16-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
And my problem with that is that a lot of republicans have been elected on general ideas.
We aren't speaking about Republicans. On top of that, Obama had a ton of great general ideas, that he never followed up on.

Quote:
I completely agree, however I dont see the opposite being advocated. that could be my own bias, but i just dont see it.
CLose enough.

Quote:
the few examples I have seen of a replacement is simply going back to the old ways(higher import tax), which isnt going to work either.
I have no idea if it would work but it seems to me many argue for a consumption tax.

Quote:
Total US foreign aid last year was 40.1 billion, the troops in Afganistan was 90 billion( the info im looking at is on a graph in increments of 10, so it could be a little more, or less).

cutting both of those things is only about 10% of the amount you need.
It's also not very inclusive. We have bases everywhere. We are still engaged in the war in Iraq also.

I would then start on the waste and abuse that is rampant in all government programs.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:16 PM

659 posts, read 312,917 times
"Obama had a ton of great general ideas, that he never followed up on."

If only Obama could be king...?

Old 09-16-2015, 02:18 PM

659 posts, read 312,917 times
"I believe you once supported pedophilia."

Will this also be debated tonight?

Old 09-16-2015, 02:22 PM

1,160 posts, read 714,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Did you answer the question? You understand the relevance.
What? It's apples and oranges. You can say an action conducted under an entirely different form of government has any relevance to US law, US law is not based on the NAP. It amazing how you do not understand how you pretty much trumped/violate the NAP with another moral imperative, i.e. justice, not to mention doing it illogical as as to say you did not violate the NAP.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
What? It's apples and oranges. You can say an action conducted under an entirely different form of government has any relevance to US law, US law is not based on the NAP. It amazing how you do not understand how you pretty much trumped/violate the NAP with another moral imperative, i.e. justice, not to mention doing it illogical as as to say you did not violate the NAP.
It's not, but you can't take one statement out of context with the rest. If you could the 1st amendment would allow for someone's free speech to threaten someone with harm.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
Currently, the most vocal libertarians incessantly talk about anarcho-capitalism along with other extreme libertarian "ideas" (by American political and economic standards).
Yes and what hurts their case is they make it seem like any other libertarian whether it is the Pauls, Gary Johnson, presidential candidate Esteban Oliverez and any other candidates. These libertarians just cheerlead failure. What a way to want to see the world change.

As for Ron Paul himself, his issue is he has radical ideas such as ending the FED which we don't know if it is a good idea or not. Anytime it is between the devil you know vs. the devil you don't, I don't know about you but I'd rather go to the devil you know.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:35 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Ron Paul's "crazy" ideas about government (no income tax, legal prositution, legal drugs, formally declared wars, etc.) were the norm in this country for most of its existence. Why do people act like he's crazy?
He's not crazy. It is very difficult for most people to understand freedom because they have lived all their lives under the control of Big Government. So they don't know what freedom is. They think Big Government is normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies