Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 10:02 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So as the age of viability is pushed further and further back so would the right to have an abortion?

Is that correct?
I'm guessing so. Well, as far as the law goes, I don't know. As far as people's opinions, I would think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 10:04 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I'm guessing so. Well, as far as the law goes, I don't know. As far as people's opinions, I would think so.
So there will come a time when those so supportive of the womans absolute right to choose will be opposed to abortion because the baby is viable...

What an odd and contradictory position to have.

Actually so is the whole third trimester thing,if you believe it is the womans right then the baby cannot enter into the equation,otherwise it is NOT her right.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:08 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So there will come a time when those so supportive of the womans absolute right to choose will be opposed to abortion because the baby is viable...

What an odd and contradictory position to have.

Actually so is the whole third trimester thing,if you believe it is the womans right then the baby cannot enter into the equation,otherwise it is NOT her right.
Just a few of the reasons why I've had problems with this issue over the years.

And in reference to your last sentence, yes, I see the flaws in that argument, too.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:11 AM

Perhaps that is one of my problems with this issue,logic isn't being applied to it.

Logically if it is th ewoman's right, it is HER right,the baby has nothing to do with it.

But law and the very people who support the woman's right disagree and say it is NOT her right after a certain time peirod because the baby tkaes precedence...but didn't enter into it at all a month before...

Simply strange.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:24 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,157 times
Quote:
What an odd and contradictory position to have
So I'm guessing, when stating your opion or position on something, you never qualify whay you say/mean with "unless", "until", "but", "if only", "not including", ect...?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
So I'm guessing, when stating your opion or position on something, you never qualify whay you say/mean with "unless", "until", "but", "if only", "not including", ect...?
Sorry?

I guess people have trouble with grasping what a 'right' is.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:35 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times
"So now you’re saying that reproductive decisions are PRIVATE and that you just don’t want to foot the bill.

Ever see unwanted kids? They’re the criminals breaking into your house, they’re the kids hanging on the corner getting into trouble because no one takes an interest in them. How much money is spent on jails and detention centers, therapy, rehabilitation? What about the cost to society of gangs and drug addiction and alcoholism? $200 at the onset or megathousands later on, fiscally you should be looking at the big picture."

I've never said anything BUT that reproductive decisions are private and AS SUCH they shouldn't be funded by taxpayers.

Are you trying to say that every criminal, alcoholic, drug user, etc. was an "unwanted" child?! How on Earth can you make that assumption?!

I've taught in both private prep. schools and extraordinarily poor public schools and can tell you that the pampered little darlings got into MORE trouble and had more serious addictions to dangerous drugs than their impoverished, public school counterparts. In fact, one of my troubled prep. school students was told by her private counselor that she needed to go to the public high school because cocaine and mischief flowed too freely among the elite set and the environment was too tempting for her.

The argument from your side is all about avoiding personal responsibility and trying to find excuses for making poor choices. In your view, criminals and addicts come from children who should have been aborted instead of being people who simply chose a wrong path and made bad choices. And, women should be able to abort as freely and as often as they like, even though there are dozens of methods available to prevent them from becoming pregnant in the first place, EVEN a morning-after pill if they have an "oops."

Someone said that science hasn't come up with a way of removing a fetus without killing it. HELLO! Science has come up with a plethora of birth control options to prevent there being a fetus in the first place! Women want control of their bodies -- you bet! Start with protecting those bodies, understanding our bodies, and making thoughtful decisions.

Use TWO or even THREE birth control methods if you're concerned there may be a chance of becoming pregnant. If you're taking prescription medications, make sure you know if those meds. decrease the efficacy of the Pill. If you know you don't want kids for several years, get one of the long-term birth control implants so you don't even have to worry about it. If you never want kids, have you or your partner sterilized. There are SO MANY choices these days that abortions should not have to be performed often.

What's being fought for here is the right to be ignorant and lazy.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
What's being fought for here is the right to be ignorant and lazy
What is being fought is the right to make my own decision according to my beliefs and rights without having to answer to your judgement calls.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
What is being fought is the right to make my own decision according to my beliefs and rights without having to answer to your judgement calls.
Ahh but what if your beliefs are that you can have an abortion in the third trimester,your rights are being trampled upon.

Do you support abortion in the third trimester?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:59 AM

I am pro-choice. Period.

Who's having 3rd term abortions? They comprise a very slim margin of abortions. Why do people get them? I dunno, but I'm not in their shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies