Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 08:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I simply said the women had abortions and, years later, were still upset about it. You're the one who said that they were "loose and stupid." So, was it the abortion that made them "loose and stupid" in your eyes or the remorse? I provided no other details about them or their behavior, but you assigned those particular adjectives to them.

Funny how a 16-year-old is a "child" when it comes to abortion but can be tried as an adult if she commits crimes and even get the death penalty. These "children" can also drive cars in the U.S. but not in other countries. So, we expect that they can make important, rationale decisions in other cases but not in regard to sex? Whatever!
A woman from my high school had two unplanned pregnancies -- the first while in high school. She opted for the open adoption where she selected the family and would receive a photo every year -- both babies ended up going to the same family. Her agreement was that other than receiving a photo, she would not interfere until the kids reached 18 and then she would meet them.

Last I heard about her the oldest child was 10 and she was looking forward to meeting him in just 8 more years. She had married and a couple other kids at that point but took the attitude it would be best for her first children that way. It was clear she had no real regrets that her children were alive and that she would eventually have a relationship with them beyond the pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 08:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Give it a rest will you?

I don't know how many times I have said that I am not proposing to make the billboards illegal.
However they have never changed my mind, in fact they have done quite the opposite.
You're kidding right? You would be more inclined to kill your baby because of a billboard you didn't like?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:01 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
wanted to give you some posivite rep, but wouldn't let me - yet.
Isn't it interesting how the majority of those who post on the "abortion" threads and are anti-choice are MEN? It's easy to be self righteous if you will NEVER be the one that is pregnant.
Yes it is and simply reflects how men want the say so over reproductive choices of women. It's called control, and I wouldn't be surprised if women are never involved when making the final decision as to whether or not to spend money to put up an anti-choice billboard.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:06 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
To those supporting the right to an abortion, is it an absolute right?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:53 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Yes it is and simply reflects how men want the say so over reproductive choices of women. It's called control, and I wouldn't be surprised if women are never involved when making the final decision as to whether or not to spend money to put up an anti-choice billboard.
There are many, many women such as myself who are pro-life. It's not an issue of "control" but of "conviction of the heart."

Old 01-29-2008, 10:34 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
There are many, many women such as myself who are pro-life. It's not an issue of "control" but of "conviction of the heart."

It may be for some women but GegW1 summed it up best:

""This argument has very little to do with the fetuses but a lot to do with controlling female right to their own bodies by a society dominated by insecure males that have to coerce women into having their children. The argument is about the establishment and use of coercion and power. In other words, Tyranny! Nothing else.""

BTW, I'm pro-life, anti-abortion, and PRO-CHOICE.

Pro-life:I want children to have good lives with parents who want them and can afford them.

Anti-abortion: Abortion is a sad fact of life, always has been ...and always will be.

I refer to people who are against a woman's right to her own body as anti-choice.....trying to control others .

Old 01-29-2008, 10:40 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
I would imagine it is quite tyrannical to the baby to be killed...

Old 01-30-2008, 12:28 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I refer to people who are against a woman's right to her own body as anti-choice.....trying to control others .
And I refer to someone who denies the rights of an unborn child as oppressive in their attempt to deny that child a life.

The crux of the issue is, when does life begin? It's as simple as that.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:24 AM

269 posts, read 542,523 times
The billboards? Tacky, IMHO, but kind of perversely amusing. They're part of the American landscape, as inescapable as McD's golden arches and Precious Moments memorabilia.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:01 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
For you who consider yourselves "pro-choice", do you really believe that abortion should be allowed until the umbilical cord is cut, for any reason including sex selection and convenience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies