Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 02:19 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

I think my feathers are justifiably ruffled.

Look, I behave myself in a calm and civilized manner at all times, but that is not the point here.

The First Amendment protects unpleasant speech that challenges authority. That is why it's in the Constitution. Pleasant, civilized speech rarely needs protection. The Fourth Amendment protects against unwarranted search and seizure. The Fourteenth Amendment provides us all with due process of law.

Police officers are not entitled to disregard individual's rights. Not even the rights of mouthy, disrespectful teenagers. Or lowlife drug dealers. Or murderers. If you truly fully support the Bill of Rights, then you have to support the rights of people who act like asses. The rights do not just exist to for good, nice, law-abiding people, but for everyone. Everyone who is walking down the street and everyone who is accused of a crime enjoys the exact same rights that you do. And if we, the good, kind, educated, law-abiding citizens don't protect the rights of the jerks and the idiots and scofflaws, then all of our rights are at stake.
The kid broke the law. The police officer was not disregarding the kids rights.
You have the right to act like an ass, I agree, you also have the responsibility to suffer the consequences.
The first amendment protects unpleasant speech but go ahead and tell cops, judges, teachers to F off if you don't want to follow the rules, see where that gets you. While your at it call the president the N word. See where that gets you.
My point is that if we want to live in a civilized society we need to practice civility. Just because we have rights does not mean we cant exercise them without being an A hole.

I'm not going to get my feathers ruffled over some kid disregarding the law and suffering the consequences of conducting himself like a butt hole. You can probably get away with one or the other but Id say its not wise to try to do both at the same time.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:24 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The call for assistance was made AFTER the kid resisted. You saw that, right?
I don't know when the first officer called for assistance. I saw the kid sitting on the wall, but have no idea what happened before that time. I don't know what led to the officer cuffing the kid and sitting him on the wall. And I don't know why Beefy Officer #2 had to pick him up and slam him to the ground.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:27 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
I don't know when the first officer called for assistance. I saw the kid sitting on the wall, but have no idea what happened before that time. I don't know what led to the officer cuffing the kid and sitting him on the wall. And I don't know why Beefy Officer #2 had to pick him up and slam him to the ground.
I'm not sure what video you're watching, but the kid was not cuffed until the backup came . I think you have to get your facts right or review what you looking at cuz right now what your writing has no reality to what was shown.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Google: Chris Rock "How To Not Get Your Ass Kicked by The Police"
That skit was hilarious, Chris Rock for President.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The kid broke the law. The police officer was not disregarding the kids rights.
You have the right to act like an ass, I agree, you also have the responsibility to suffer the consequences.
The first amendment protects unpleasant speech but go ahead and tell cops, judges, teachers to F off if you don't want to follow the rules, see where that gets you.

This is the point, 2mares. Because you have the right to act like an ass, the police, who are representatives of the government, violate that right when they take action against you. It's not a right if the minute you assert it you are at risk of being arrested, beaten or killed. That is the government retaliating against you for exercising your right.

While your at it call the president the N word. See where that gets you.

People call Obama the N word all the time and nothing happens to them. They have the right to do that. If someone called Obama the N word and was arrested, I would be saying the same thing I'm saying here.

My point is that if we want to live in a civilized society we need to practice civility. Just because we have rights does not mean we cant exercise them without being an A hole.

You're talking about manners and I'm talking about rights. Yes, if you act like an a-hole, you're an a-hole. But you still have the right to be an a-hole.

I'm not going to get my feathers ruffled over some kid disregarding the law and suffering the consequences of conducting himself like a butt hole. You can probably get away with one or the other but Id say its not wise to try to do both at the same time.
When are you going to get your feathers ruffled? Do you think everyone roughed up (beaten, killed) by a cop deserves it? Can you envision a situation where an accused being beaten up by an officer might **** you off?

Old 09-21-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I'm not sure what video you're watching, but the kid was not cuffed until the backup came . I think you have to get your facts right or review what you looking at cuz right now what your writing has no reality to what was shown.
The video I saw started with the kid sitting on the wall. He appeared to be cuffed to me because he was using his feet and not his hands against the officer.

And I agree that at that point he was resisting arrest. But what I'd like to see is what happened before that.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:59 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,015,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
So in reality you don't know exactly HOW he crossed the street. Since you didn't see it happen. And your ASSuming a 16 year old doesn't know how to properly cross the street.

That's absurd.
I don't need to see how he crossed because the police department and even the person that made the video said he was in the street and not on the sidewalk. Basic research is your friend.

If he knew how to properly cross a street then we wouldn't even have this thread right now or are you saying this teen just didn't give a f*** ?

Quote:
How about he didn't cross the street in the designated walking area? Or didn't wait on the crossing light?
Do you need the meaning of Jaywalking?

Quote:
Because I'm pretty sure every 16 year old can cross the street.
The key words is cross the street properly in a Transit Center area. You make me laugh.

Quote:
And to that point. Anybody who's ever lived in the city knows that everybody jaywalks. Which goes back to this law being selectively enforced.
It doesn't matter if everyone seen someone jaywalked as the people only caught are the ones that is seen by a police officer. I'm waiting for your proof on your selectively enforced logic.

Last edited by Devon011; 09-21-2015 at 03:22 PM..

Old 09-21-2015, 03:04 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,015,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Based upon the video it looks like the cops were out of control. At one point the kid was just sitting there and then two cops came and attacked him.
The officers were responding to the teen behavior.

Quote:
What is there reason for attacking him when he was just sitting there?
Department spokesman Officer Joseph Silva said the officer, who is assigned to the transit center, told the 16-year-old boy to move from the bus-only lane, but he refused and cursed.

"Edgar Avendaño, who posted the video to Facebook, said the teen was stopped for jaywalking after he stepped out of a bus Tuesday morning near the San Joaquin Downtown Transit Center and was standing 2 feet away from the sidewalk.

“The cop was telling him to take a sit but the teen kept walking to his bus but the cop kept grabbing his arm and the kid took off the cop's hand off his arm"

Attacked? Hardly. He was told to do something after he committed an offense in a busy Transit Center area. The video also doesn't show everything that happened. Amazing how that always happen

Last edited by Devon011; 09-21-2015 at 03:15 PM..

Old 09-21-2015, 03:10 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
The video I saw started with the kid sitting on the wall. He appeared to be cuffed to me because he was using his feet and not his hands against the officer.

And I agree that at that point he was resisting arrest. But what I'd like to see is what happened before that.
He was NOT in cuffs at that point. The cuffs did not occur until after backup was called.

Can you see how an incident can be misconstrued by getting facts wrong?

Old 09-21-2015, 03:16 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Boy something is going to boil over for sure if they don't get a handle on this stuff.

Nine cops to take down a 16 year old for simply not jumping to a cop's tune.

Teen Boy Beaten With Baton, Swarmed by Nine Cops … for Jaywalking | Filming Cops
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
So was he beaten for jaywalking or for not obeying an officer's command?

Don't ge me wrong, those cops are pigs, but the disingenuous wording of the title (which has become a popular thing lately) takes away from the proper understanding of the problem we have with the police today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Ain't that the truth!

So, none of you will call the police when needed....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies