Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 08:13 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,114 times

Advertisements

This is long overdue. It's patently ridiculous that the workweek has not only not decreased, but actually increased in practice as productivity has skyrocketed. All herping and derping about "small businesses" notwithstanding.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:13 PM

358 posts, read 283,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And they tax the crap out of you to pay for it.
False. Income taxes and property taxes for average worker in NJ, NY, CT are higher than in Sweden.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:14 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,211 times
Depends what kind of work you do. If you are stuffing envelopes then yes 12 hour days more envelopes, but if you are a knowledge worker after so many hours is diminishing returns. No one works a full 8 hours, your mind wonders if I had 6 hours I would probably be more productive.
Its funny people try to politicize this, I think politics aside, most people that work in offices know that it would be better to have people focused and productive for 6 hours than work for 5 hours then spend 2 hours walking around cubicles and on fantasy football.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:31 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
False. Income taxes and property taxes for average worker in NJ, NY, CT are higher than in Sweden.
Income is also a lot higher in NJ/NY/CT than Sweden, and Sweden has a 25% VAT. Saying, well, these states that are notorious for property taxes have higher property taxes than Sweden so therefore are a worse tax environment is kind of intellectually dishonest.

Also, on reading the wikipedia entry on Swedish taxation and having made below, at, and above the average income in NJ & NY it's pretty clear that as much as those states tax you out the wazoo you're still better off than in Sweden. That VAT is insane. Once you get even a little above average (~60K, which is actually somewhat below average for a household in the NYC 'burbs) Sweden charges a 51% tax, then you lose another 25% VAT when buying stuff, keeping only 36.75% on the margin. Even in NYC proper things aren't nearly that bad.....and at $80K it gets even worse at the margins. Did you not do any quantitative research or did you do it and assume no one else would?

edit: wow reading a bit more at the lower middle income things get even uglier. Everyone pays that VAT and Sweden's 31% rate kicks in at only like $3K USD. Thats way more regressive than what we have here in addition to being way higher.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:35 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Link?
I don't need to google for you.

But, if you google you will find that Scandinavians have more vacation and work less hours a week than Americans. I do not give you a link because what I am saying is common knowledge.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:35 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
Sweden moves towards 6-hour working day with same pay

Imagine this: Sweden moves towards a standard 6-hour working day - Independent.ie

On top of Sweden already giving all workers' 5 weeks of paid vacation & holidays, plenty of paid sick days, 18 months paid paternal leave, national health care and known for its work/life balance; many companies in Sweden including public workers are moving towards 6-hour work day with same pay as 8-hour work day. No, average Swedish workers' pay no higher taxes than average American if you combine federal and income tax, as well as property taxes and high corporation taxes, health care, child care and all the college costs we pay while in Sweden all free/very low cost!

Of course America always falls behind and corporations do not care about their workers' and people are overworking and do not realize that until they get heart attack or getting very old regretting many things in life and often nothing they can do about that
So start a business, work 6 hours a day, take 5 weeks vacation, take obamacare and hire people and do the same for them. Oh....that's right, your business would never get off the ground!

Old 09-30-2015, 08:38 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Hell, lets just cut out work completely. We can all just live off the government like half the country already does.
With technology and automation is natural for the work week to get shorter.

And one day we may only work 10 hours a week. It is call progress and civilization.

If it was up to the conservatives the standard work week would be 60-80 hours.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:41 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I don't need to google for you.

But, if you google you will find that Scandinavians have more vacation and work less hours a week than Americans. I do not give you a link because what I am saying is common knowledge.
It's also "common knowledge" that the Japanese people are hard working and that Greeks are lazy, but hey, Japapese work lower hours per worker per year than we do; and we in turn work way less than people in Greece. https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=ANHRS

Not saying you're wrong (because you're not on this), but making quantitative statements on the basis of "common knowledge" is setting yourself up to be wrong embarrassingly often.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:48 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
So start a business, work 6 hours a day, take 5 weeks vacation, take obamacare and hire people and do the same for them. Oh....that's right, your business would never get off the ground!
It would get off the ground just fine if your competition were held to the same rules.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:48 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
It would annoy me to get ready and drive just for 6 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.