Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 10:26 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
Why are right wingers so supportive of guns and almost worship them?! What makes it more frustrating is that they do not even want gun restrictions and don't care if psychopaths buy gun and shoots innocent people until one of their family members gets shot in the face and killed inside school or mall!
You seem to be frightened very easily. Do you sleep UNDER your bed?

Old 10-01-2015, 10:31 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
Quote:
Why are right wingers so supportive of guns and almost worship them?! What makes it more frustrating is that they do not even want gun restrictions and don't care if psychopaths buy gun and shoots innocent people until one of their family members gets shot in the face and killed inside school or mall!

funny, Obama's home state of Illinois and his city of Chicago have the toughest gun restriction laws in the country and its a holocaust of killing and high crimes....that's Obama's backyard and Obama rarely talks about that but he sure likes to play politics in a tragedy that the facts and investigation barely started.

Obama and liberals are clueless........Baltimore is another example that having tough gun restrictions won't bring gun violence down, the opposite.

Obama or Liberals can't legislate safety from mental health criminal with NO CRIMINAL RECORD ......unless you want to trim down the bill of rights and start arresting people because you think the person might be a danger to society.....you really want to go down that road? I didn't think so.

Why do liberals want to make government decisions on emotions in the heat of the moment instead taking a step back, wait until we get all the facts and make common sense laws with logic.

they believe if we expand the federal government and pass strict gun laws that criminals would never get a gun or wont find ways to commit violent crimes.....like that is working so well in Obama's Chicago.

What a joke!

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
It isn't guns. It is woosyified Americans. I heard he killed ten and shot 30? He didn't do that in ten secnds.

Instead of cowering or waiting to die - if 15 people had swarmed him they probably would have prevailed.

NEVER QUIT, NEVER SURRENDER.

History is filled with examples of people who refused to quit and prevailed. And of those who quit and died.

If you want to survive an event like this, charge the shooter from all sides. Yes, you might die - but not ten or forty.

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Do you seriously think we won't be right back here in a few weeks having this same discussion following yet another mass shooting? And then again a few weeks after that? And yet again a few weeks after that?

How is THAT working out?

Is your answer to simply throw up your hands and say, oh, well, that's how it is in America. Nothing we can do about it.

So long as we continue to do nothing we will all be here saying the same stuff again and again and again. That's the definition of insanity, and for sure what is going on in this country and these shootings is insanity.
You can change all the gun laws you like and this will not change. Your Utopian society will never exist. There will always be mass murders and there is a long history of such. The difference in today vs 150 years ago is the massive population increase. You can find mass murders in every nation on earth. Even Norway for crying out loud.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:32 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Quote:
Their guns are more important to them than the many lives that are lost by the almost weekly mass shootings. They will deny it and talk about the second amendment and about how guns don't kill people and parrot all the other propaganda the NRA has spewed over the years, but the simple truth is that their guns mean more to them than the lives of these nine students, and more importantly, the lives of the next group of students who are alive right now but will be the victims of the next shooter in another few weeks.
The OP's use of the over-simplified term "right-winger" serves as proof, from the start, that he has no concept of the diversity of opinion within the group who identify themselves as "conservative"; this is in sharp contrast to the group-think of those who identify themselves as "progressive" -- as defined by the Lords of Political Correctness and, as in Orwell's 1984, subject to constant change due to the whims and issues of the day. of a self-anointed few.

I'm a 66-year-old white male who lives in a rural community of about 15,000. (As such, I'm automatically stereotyped as likely to be hostile to the eco-feminist manifesto of the Politically Correct -- so when I raise a point, I'm much more likely to be overruled, or simply ignored.) As it turns out, I've never fired any weapon bigger than a .22-caliber rifle, and that in part to satisfy a Phys Ed requirement in college 45 years ago.

But I also live in an area where sport hunting is a strong tradition, and while I personally have no interest and experience in the practice, I'm grateful that other men have, because when history has forced American citizen-soldiers to defend our nation, our heritage of experience with firearms has given us an advantage over those unfortunates conscripted by totalitarian regimes where private possession of weapons was outlawed.

I support stronger sentences for felons using firearms in the commission of a crime; the same for laws to identify, isolate and exclude those with severe mental issues -- as is still the case in Canada. But it should be noted that the same clique of do-gooders calling for restrictions on firearms have emptied our mental institutions and filled the streets with dysfunctional individuals. Do I detect a double-standard here?; Do the same people who subscribe to the ethic of freedom of expression that was central to the Enlightenment (I disagree with what you say, but will defend your right to say it -- Voltaire) seek to set themselves up as judge, jury and court of final appeal when it suits them?

Finally, it should be noted that there are likely many city blocks in rough neighborhoods in places like New York and Chicago (which already have strong gun laws) where there are dozens, perhaps hundreds of illegal guns; in conversation and letters to the editor of local media, I've heard many times that if confronted with gun registration/confiscation, the responsible owners would register one or two items, and keep the rest out of Big Brother's / Sister's sight.

And my neighbors would likely present an even stronger -- more subtle, but better-organized resistance to involuntary disarmament than the "thug culture".

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-01-2015 at 11:59 PM..

Old 10-01-2015, 10:33 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Quote:

So long as we continue to do nothing we will all be here saying the same stuff again and again and again. That's the definition of insanity, and for sure what is going on in this country and these shootings is insanity.
So taking my guns, and denying me the right to defend myself is your answer? I can assure you, that will never happen.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:35 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Their guns are more important to them than the many lives that are lost by the almost weekly mass shootings. They will deny it and talk about the second amendment and about how guns don't kill people and parrot all the other propaganda the NRA has spewed over the years, but the simple truth is that their guns mean more to them than the lives of these nine students, and more importantly, the lives of the next group of students who are alive right now but will be the victims of the next shooter in another few weeks.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:35 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
You can change all the gun laws you like and this will not change. Your Utopian society will never exist. There will always be mass murders and there is a long history of such. The difference in today vs 150 years ago is the massive population increase. You can find mass murders in every nation on earth. Even Norway for crying out loud.
Norway has had exactly 1 mass shooting in the last 15 years and it accounted for 75% of the shooting deaths in that country over that same 10 year period.

Norway may very well be the worst example you could have come up with.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:36 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
Quote:
Do you seriously think we won't be right back here in a few weeks having this same discussion following yet another mass shooting? And then again a few weeks after that? And yet again a few weeks after that?

How is THAT working out?

Is your answer to simply throw up your hands and say, oh, well, that's how it is in America. Nothing we can do about it.

Of course these incidents will continue, there's some loser sitting at home right now, watching the wall to wall coverage of this killer's life, every little detail about him being broadcast to tens of millions of people and maybe this is what will inspire them to act, so that we can learn all the little details about their life to after they go and take their lives and that of others.

The media is as complicit as anyone else. We know for a fact that the media coverage is what drives some of these killers, including the one today.

Quote:
"Posts on an online blog that appears to belong to Mercer reference multiple shootings, including one in Virginia in August that left a television news reporter and cameraman dead. The last upload on the blog was Wednesday. when a documentary about the Newtown shooting was posted.

In one post on the blog about Vester Flanagan, the man who killed the reporter and cameraman in Virginia, a$$hle apparently wrote, "I have noticed that so many people like [Flanagan] are alone and unknown, yet when they spill a little blood, the whole world knows who they are. A man who was known by no one, is now known by everyone. His face splashed across every screen, his name across the lips of every person on the planet, all in the course of one day. Seems like the more people you kill, the more you're in the limelight."

Where there is a will, these type's will find a way. We look at other countries and ask "well, why aren't they having problems, it must be the guns", but we also neglect to notice that most of these other countries have far superior mental health treatment services and less of a stigma for seeking mental health treatment. Maybe the issue is just our culture as a whole, that you have these individuals that are so cold and callous, that think nothing of taking lives, just having the intent of murdering so many could be seen as an indictment on our society.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:37 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,518,799 times
Leftists are pussified and, based on their responses here, dumber than a bag of hammers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies