Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 04:09 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,341,660 times

Advertisements

Speaker of the House is a HUGE position, a dream job in politics. The fact that NO ONE in the Republican party is willing, never mind actually wanting, to stand up and throw their hat in the ring. The Republican party is a house divided that needs some serious rehab.

It's impossible to blame the minority party in Congress for doing nothing and shutting down the government when the majority party can't even agree amongst themselves what to support.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:20 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,803,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
If not super conservative enough the candidate won't get enough votes from the tea party side. If super conservative the candidate won't be voted in by the GOP establishment. Where do they go from here?
Good question.

Dunno what happens if the House can't elect a Speaker. Anyone know of any precedents?

The establishment Rs might have to swallow hard and approach some Ds. Who of course would be absolutely delighted to help them out...

Old 10-08-2015, 04:27 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,341,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Old school vs new school!

They shouldn't have postponed the vote. Vote now, and dispense with the wheeling and dealing.
They don't have a nominee to vote on, that's why it was postponed.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:30 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,304,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Milk Toast exit stage right.
Showed his weakness apologizing for the Hildabeast comments.
Showed his idiocy by revealing the truth to everyone.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:31 PM

4,516 posts, read 5,075,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Name calling is so mature, regardless what side you are on. I do not care for him, I would love to see someone from Ca get the position just not him, but there is no reason for calling him an idiot. We live in a country where we may not agree but we have the right to do so. This doesn't make a person an idiot.
You're right, this doesn't make him an idiot, he did it all by himself !

Old 10-08-2015, 04:32 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,720,402 times
Fascinating the people here who argue FOR politicians who put their principles aside so they can support the party. Just like lemmings.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:32 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,557,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Apparently McCarthy didn't have the needed 218 votes to be elected Speaker. If the establishment can't cobble together enough votes without the help of the Tea Party congressmen, what does that mean for the POTUS election?
It foreshadows a brokered and bloody GOP convention next summer.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:38 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,353,352 times
I love the liberal "news" headlines: "Republicans In Chaos As Favorite Quits House Leadership Race."

That was AOL News (A.K.A. "Huffington Post")

Whose "favorite?" He didn't have the votes! Nobody wants him, as many constituents contacted their Representatives and told them they'd better not vote for McCarthy (I'm one of them, and my FB page testifies to many others who did the same).

There is no "chaos." They will simply regroup. Until then, Boehner will remain. I have no doubt they will pick someone who all will be able to vote for. They are not going to give Democrats a chance to name a Speaker.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:41 PM

57,410 posts, read 26,359,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
In all fairness though raising the retirement age is a common sense measure. Social Security was not designed for people to draw benefits for 20+ years. IIRC when the program was set up back in the 1930s they designed it for the average person to draw benefits for 5 years ... and they still set the age high enough that a considerable number of people would die before becoming eligible.

I favor raising the retirement age to 70.

Good points, people are living longer but also there are fewer paying into system and we have an aging population taking out, if it weren't for immigrants even illegal immigrants it would be in worse shape.
The formula needs to change because in the next few years it will not balance.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:44 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,353,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Name calling is so mature, regardless what side you are on. I do not care for him, I would love to see someone from Ca get the position just not him, but there is no reason for calling him an idiot. We live in a country where we may not agree but we have the right to do so. This doesn't make a person an idiot.
Many people were not in favor of McCarthy simply on the basis of his position. It makes little sense to just vote for the next in line. Especially when that person is not much different from his predecessor.

The House has had a problem in not passing the kind of legislation their constituents elected them to pass. This is the reason Boehner was forced to step down, and the reason McCarthy was rejected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies