Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:14 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times

Advertisements

I spent several years working in the shipping/delivery business. Making "accomodations" to drivers so they can decide what deliveries they'll make is total BS. You can't run a business like that. If a driver doesn't want to do a particular delivery he has the freedom to seek employment elsewhere. And the government should stay out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 08:15 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,441,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
You really don't know American history, do you? You think ALL Muslims migrated to the US? There are generational Muslims in the US. Should they go back to "their own countries?" Countries that they never been to nor have a passport for??

If you were born in the US and someone told you to go back to "your own country", where would you go? To a country that you were never in but it's your country because of your ancestors?

I can give you a list of names of Muslims who migrated or were born in the US and have succeeded on their own. Here's one, who is a dear friend of mine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farouk_El-Baz

What have you done for your country??? How many Americans do you employ at excellent wages?
Sorry, but I was right when I said Muslims are mostly a new thing in this country.

This country was not founded by Muslims. I doubt there was even one Muslim living here at the time.

It has only been in the last fifty years or so that we have seen significant immigration to this country by Muslims.

But of course, you want to make it sound like they've been here for hundreds of years.

And then you claim I don't know American history.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:20 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Sorry, but I was right when I said Muslims are mostly a new thing in this country.

This country was not founded by Muslims. I doubt there was even one Muslim living here at the time.

It has only been in the last fifty years or so that we have seen significant immigration to this country by Muslims.

But of course, you want to make it sound like they've been here for hundreds of years.

And then you claim I don't know American history.
Actually, there were muslims living here when the country was founded. We don't know how many, because they were slaves.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Not really. No one now knows the numbers, because no one at the time cared, but many black slaves from west africa would have been muslim.
You don't know that.

Quote:
Because of the last gasps of the Ottoman empire, immigration from the near and middle east increased in the first couple of decades of the 20th century, and a good portion of those immigrants were muslim. They wound up in Michigan because Henry Ford hired a lot of them.
The Ottomon Empire didn't collapse until after WW I. That would be 1918. If you're suggesting that huge numbers of Muslims came here then, you need to back that up.

Quote:
And in 1957, President Eisenhower spoke at the dedication of a Washington, DC mosque.
If that's true, so what?

Here we go again with the "They've been a significant part of the fabric of this nation for a long, long time."

Absolutely false! Another case of multiculturalists making things up and trying to rewrite history.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Actually, there were muslims living here when the country was founded. We don't know how many, because they were slaves.
You don't know that.

And I'm not buying it.

If Islam were a big thing with the slaves, then of course it would have influenced their culture.

After emancipation, there would have been Halal food in New Orleans, and black women would have walked behind black men, just to give a couple of examples.

There might even have been an Islamic lilt to early jazz in this country. Finger cymbals, things like that.

It's just amazing what people try to sell in this forum!

Old 11-02-2015, 11:49 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,109,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
You don't know that.

And I'm not buying it.

If Islam were a big thing with the slaves, then of course it would have influenced their culture.

After emancipation, there would have been Halal food in New Orleans, and black women would have walked behind black men, just to give a couple of examples.

There might even have been an Islamic lilt to early jazz in this country. Finger cymbals, things like that.

It's just amazing what people try to sell in this forum!
It's amazing what people think they know.

I repeat, do some reading up on American History. There is nothing stopping anyone from self-education. Doing so will help them to avoid constantly looking foolish.

Let me give you a little help:

Quote:
What is clear is the make up of the first real wave of Muslims in the United States: African slaves of whom 10 to 15 percent were said to be Muslims. Maintaining their religion was difficult and many were forcibly converted to Christianity. Any effort to practice Islam, and keep the traditional clothing and names alive had to be done in secret. There was an enclave of African-Americans on the Georgia coast that managed to maintain their faith until the early part of the 20th century.

Between 1878 and 1924, Muslim immigrants from the Middle East, particularly from Syria and Lebanon, arrived in large numbers, with many settling in Ohio, Michigan, Iowa and even the Dakotas. Like most other migrants they were seeking greater economic opportunity than in their homeland and often worked as manual laborers. One of the first big employers of Muslims and blacks was the Ford Company—these were often the only people willing to work in the hot, difficult conditions of the factories.

At the same time, the Great Migration of blacks to the North helped encourage the African-American Islam revival and the growth of the African-American Muslim Nationalist Movement that still exists to this day. The hope remains to restore the culture and faith that was destroyed during the era of slavery.
Islam In America | History Detectives | PBS

That is just one source. There are millions of sources you can find on Google to educate yourself; or you can stay ignorant and not bother to check how wrong you are.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:24 AM

10 to 15 percent of slaves, big deal. And many of them converted to Christianity.

Sorry, Islam is a negligible part of our history.

And we should keep it that way.

Stop trying to rewrite American history.

Liberals seem to wish we were more Islamic. Why? So we can have more persecution of gays and women?

I guess they don't mind that if Jews and -- especially -- Christian white people that they hate are persecuted as well.

It's all a question of priorities for them.

They "love" women and gays, but will sacrifice them in a New York minute

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-03-2015 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: flaming

Old 11-03-2015, 07:50 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I spent several years working in the shipping/delivery business. Making "accomodations" to drivers so they can decide what deliveries they'll make is total BS. You can't run a business like that. If a driver doesn't want to do a particular delivery he has the freedom to seek employment elsewhere. And the government should stay out of it.
Seems simple, doesn't it? You're hired and paid to do your job, do your job. Don't expect someone else to do it for you just because you don't want to. Doesn't matter if it's a Muslim that doesn't want to handle pork or alcohol, or a Christian that wants Sunday mornings off while others work. You're hired to do a job, do the job while you're on company time. Play with your superstitions all you like...on your own time.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:57 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Seems simple, doesn't it? You're hired and paid to do your job, do your job. Don't expect someone else to do it for you just because you don't want to. Doesn't matter if it's a Muslim that doesn't want to handle pork or alcohol, or a Christian that wants Sunday mornings off while others work. You're hired to do a job, do the job while you're on company time. Play with your superstitions all you like...on your own time.
Right. And if anyone has a problem with that they're free to start their own company. The government should not be in the business of making it impossible to run a business.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:18 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOB View Post
The best place for practicing of their believe would be a Muslim country, not a Christian one.
As your location being NYC, you don't think that Orthodox Jews would have a problem with delivering pork products?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies