Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 06:29 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Fair points but these cases have to be pretty rare, I doubt we will ever see a headline that indicates "Christian Awarded".

You mean like this one posted earlier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Beverly Butcher worked as a laborer for the company for 33 years when the company switched to a biometric hand scan to record employee hours. She refused because biometric hand scanning violated her religious beliefs as an Evangelical Christian. The company refused to accommodate her and she filed a complaint with references to the sign of the beast, with the EEOC.

In August, a jury awarded Beverly $587,000 for failure to accommodate her religious beliefs.

Hmmm, she was awarded more than twice as much as these two Muslims, but I don't recall a thread in here bemoaning that judgement. Perhaps I missed it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 07:32 AM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
If your company is a trucking company that delivers alcohol then in the interview the question regarding islam is valid. "Are you muslim and if so, do you have problem delivering alcohol?" If they answer they won't deliver alcohol then it's not religious discrimination. It's not hiring someone not willing to do the job.
Well that's a creative response.

First of all you cannot ask a persons religion during an interview, that is a violation.
Secondly you only need to explain the duties and expectations of the job, if the person accepts that responsibility then they have no case. Even if alcohol is brought up they cannot deny a person a position unless it is a beer company or similar where the freight is entirely alcohol.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You mean like this one posted earlier?

Hmmm, she was awarded more than twice as much as these two Muslims, but I don't recall a thread in here bemoaning that judgement. Perhaps I missed it?

Don't hold your breath for a "Christian Awarded" thread.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:24 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am not arguing Christians have not been protected under the same law. I am arguing no one should be protected by this law. It is unnecessary.

I can understand it is a clear case of discrimination if one was denied a chance of employment because of his or her religious background, but the law should END AND STOP RIGHT THERE.

If you cannot do the job, then you should seek other employment. It should be that simple.
EEOC is now 50 years old.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:30 AM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
EEOC is now 50 years old.
and EEOC is unnecessary.

If the government allows free market to make the decision, NO ONE would be shouting and screaming discrimination.

Christians, Catholic, Jews, Muslims, How about everyone just follows one rule? Make it simple.

If you cant do the job, please seek other employment. For the sake of your own mental health well being.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:14 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
Quote:
Well that's a creative response.

First of all you cannot ask a persons religion during an interview, that is a violation.
Secondly you only need to explain the duties and expectations of the job, if the person accepts that responsibility then they have no case. Even if alcohol is brought up they cannot deny a person a position unless it is a beer company or similar where the freight is entirely alcohol.
That is true.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:51 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,593,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
This is a token gesture and means nothing- the company went out of business last year.

Per article:

"Chief US District Judge James Shadid had found in favour of the commission in March, after the company admitted liability."

As a business owner, why waste resources on such a case when you know there can be no recovery?

There is no comparison to the "Kim Whoever" case since that was a *publicly funded* job which obviously was NOT going out of business like this company was. This company had no investment in the case either way. That is the massive difference. It's like winning because the other side didn't show up.

The plaintiffs will not be collecting this money.

It is unfortunate that this is just yet another issue to divide the country on......
Did the company pay the money ? if so,then bankruptcy did not change anything

Old 11-04-2015, 04:56 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
the trucking company should have told the drivers they were hauling goat milk.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
and EEOC is unnecessary.

If the government allows free market to make the decision, NO ONE would be shouting and screaming discrimination.

Christians, Catholic, Jews, Muslims, How about everyone just follows one rule? Make it simple.

If you cant do the job, please seek other employment. For the sake of your own mental health well being.

So you would be alright if Walmart only hired Christians, how would the free market address that issue.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:09 PM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
So you would be alright if Walmart only hired Christians, how would the free market address that issue.
I already expressed my opinion on this. Go back and read.

If you are too lazy, here goes it again

I am not arguing Christians have not been protected under the same law. I am arguing no one should be protected by this law. It is unnecessary.

I can understand it is a clear case of discrimination if one was denied a chance of employment because of his or her religious background, but the law should END AND STOP RIGHT THERE.

If you cannot do the job, then you should seek other employment. It should be that simple.

You even agreed, remember? To be honest with you, yes, I would be alright if Walmart only hired Muslims. But that is just me. However, I also know this is not realistic, so I posted.

Not like I have changed my mind about it

Private businesses should make ALL the decisions as long as they are aware of the fact this is a global market, as long as they can compete with everybody else, go for it. I agree with the Libertarian views when it comes to privately owned businesses. I simply don't believe too much power given to government when it comes to businesses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How would free market address this issue? I have the freedom to hire whoever I want to hire, you have the freedom not buying my product. (trash me on social media network, write me negative yelp review, etc, etc) If my business is booming, then let me be, if my business has to file bankruptcy, then oh well. Businesses make the decisions, no need to use a lawsuit to ruin other people's businesses. Let free market make the decision. Eventually, all the racism, discrimination will be resolved because let's face it, no businesses can really afford being a real "bigot".

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 11-04-2015 at 05:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies