Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 03:07 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,156,792 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 03:24 PM

57,410 posts, read 26,366,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Under Title VII of the federal Civil Rights Act, both public and private employers have a duty to exempt religious employees from generally applicable work rules, so long as this won’t create an “undue hardship,” meaning more than a modest cost, on the employer.

Who should be the one deciding what is "undue hardship"? Employer. How about not giving government so much power to run private businesses. This is a trucking company, if you cannot do the job, you should let the employer knew before they hired you. Let's face it, not many people understand another religion. Who knows what are taboo items for them?

You don't ruin other people's business by suing simply because you cannot do the simply job they require you to do.

By the way, to answer your question,

new ruling by a High Court judge - the first on the issue in nearly a decade - says that Christians have no right to decline working on Sunday as it is not a “core component” of their beliefs.

Christians have no right to refuse to work on Sundays, rules judge - Telegraph

Not sure if this is an U.S. case, but I doubt in the U.S. Christians have the right to decline working on Sunday because it is not our "core component" of our beliefs. LOL

As if everybody just knew what our core component is. hahahaha Funny

How about just make one rule for everybody, Christians, Catholic, Muslims, Jews, if you cannot do the job, find another employment. Keep it simple.
Like I indicated Christians are protected by the same laws, they could have reasonably accommodated the truck drivers but they did not. There was a prior case where a Muslim flight attendant refused to serve alcohol on a private jet, she could not be accommodated and was released.

I think the rule is misused in some cases but it is the law of the land, it seems that the only time we hear complaints is when there are Muslims involved. I don't believe this comes up very frequently because most people won't take the job in the first place if it violates their beliefs

Here's a Christian case for the ages, this employee was forced to retire and ended up winning his case against the company.

Quote:

According to EEOC's lawsuit, Beverly R. Butcher, Jr. had worked as a general
inside laborer at the companies' mine in Mannington, W.V., for over 35 years
when the mining companies required employees to use a newly installed biometric
hand scanner to track employee time and attendance. Butcher repeatedly informed
company officials that submitting to biometric hand scanning violated his
sincerely held religious beliefs as an Evangelical Christian. He also wrote a
letter to company officials explaining his beliefs about the relationship
between hand-scanning technology and the "Mark of the Beast" and the Antichrist
discussed in the New Testament's Book of Revelation, and requesting an exemption
from the hand scanning based on his religious beliefs.
Court Awards Over Half Million Dollars Against Consol Energy/Consolidation Coal In EEOC Religious Discrimination Lawsuit

Old 11-01-2015, 03:31 PM

39,336 posts, read 27,722,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Like I indicated Christians are protected by the same laws, they could have reasonably accommodated the truck drivers but they did not. There was a prior case where a Muslim flight attendant refused to serve alcohol on a private jet, she could not be accommodated and was released.

I think the rule is misused in some cases but it is the law of the land, it seems that the only time we hear complaints is when there are Muslims involved. I don't believe this comes up very frequently because most people won't take the job in the first place if it violates their beliefs

Here's a Christian case for the ages, this employee was forced to retire and ended up winning his case against the company.

Court Awards Over Half Million Dollars Against Consol Energy/Consolidation Coal In EEOC Religious Discrimination Lawsuit
I am not arguing Christians have not been protected under the same law. I am arguing no one should be protected by this law. It is unnecessary.

I can understand it is a clear case of discrimination if one was denied a chance of employment because of his or her religious background, but the law should END AND STOP RIGHT THERE.

If you cannot do the job, then you should seek other employment. It should be that simple.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:45 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,453,881 times
Quote:
I am not arguing Christians have not been protected under the same law. I am arguing no one should be protected by this law. It is unnecessary.

I can understand it is a clear case of discrimination if one was denied a chance of employment because of his or her religious background, but the law should END AND STOP RIGHT THERE.

If you cannot do the job, then you should seek other employment. It should be that simple.
Exactly.

Well said!

Old 11-02-2015, 06:50 AM

57,410 posts, read 26,366,976 times
Quote:

Fair points but these cases have to be pretty rare, I doubt we will ever see a headline that indicates "Christian Awarded".

Old 11-02-2015, 07:50 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,110,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Just stop allowing Muslims to immigrate to this country, including as refugees.

Some people criticize accomodations for Christians.

But, whether you like them or not (I do), Christians are already here, and they are not going away.

Muslims are mostly a new thing in this country.

They don't belong here.

In fact, it's time to just say to immigrants in general "Go fix your own countries. Only come here if you have tons of money and can create a business that hires Americans at an excellent wage."

Ya know -- actually doing things that benefit this country instead of destroying it....

That would be quite a change!
You really don't know American history, do you? You think ALL Muslims migrated to the US? There are generational Muslims in the US. Should they go back to "their own countries?" Countries that they never been to nor have a passport for??

If you were born in the US and someone told you to go back to "your own country", where would you go? To a country that you were never in but it's your country because of your ancestors?

I can give you a list of names of Muslims who migrated or were born in the US and have succeeded on their own. Here's one, who is a dear friend of mine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farouk_El-Baz

What have you done for your country??? How many Americans do you employ at excellent wages?

Old 11-02-2015, 07:53 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,110,536 times
Quote:
Fair points but these cases have to be pretty rare, I doubt we will ever see a headline that indicates "Christian Awarded".
True. But I don't know if a Christian I know would be thrilled to see herself in the papers after winding a fraudulent lawsuit.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:57 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,807,067 times
Quote:
Depends on what you mean by rare.

EEOC stats are that in 2014, there were over 3500 religious discrimination complaints filed with the EEOC.
Religion-Based Charges

And the trend has been up.

I can't find a list of cases tallied by the complainer's religion.

Lack of headlines does not mean a lack of cases. Here's a non-profit legal fund that takes on a wide range of these cases, including christians. The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty

And then there are Kim Davis' attorneys, Liberty Counsel, who specialize in cases involving evangelical christians - https://lc.org

Other kinds of cases that the EEOC handles - Enforcement & Litigation Statistics

Old 11-02-2015, 08:04 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,807,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Just stop allowing Muslims to immigrate to this country, including as refugees.

Some people criticize accomodations for Christians.

But, whether you like them or not (I do), Christians are already here, and they are not going away.

Muslims are mostly a new thing in this country.

They don't belong here.

In fact, it's time to just say to immigrants in general "Go fix your own countries. Only come here if you have tons of money and can create a business that hires Americans at an excellent wage."

Ya know -- actually doing things that benefit this country instead of destroying it....

That would be quite a change!
Not really. No one now knows the numbers, because no one at the time cared, but many black slaves from west africa would have been muslim.

Because of the last gasps of the Ottoman empire, immigration from the near and middle east increased in the first couple of decades of the 20th century, and a good portion of those immigrants were muslim. They wound up in Michigan because Henry Ford hired a lot of them.

And in 1957, President Eisenhower spoke at the dedication of a Washington, DC mosque.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:09 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,853,955 times
Hey... I'll become "Muslim" for a month...$240,000 in the bank would be nice. MF judges!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies