Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 05:28 PM

1,431 posts, read 913,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We don't have enough troops to take any country lacking a draft and we have no right to intercede into any countries affairs in any event. Panama, Vietnam, Phillipines, Nicaragua and now Afghanistan and Iraq have not worked out well, the American people have had enough.
We leave the Middle East now, we'll create a power vacuum and our terrorist problems will only get worse. Trust that. I don't like the wars, but we've backed ourselves into a corner.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:58 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,300,036 times
Not sure how to copy a jpeg, but here's an old favorite of mine

The Navy's New Terrorist Catch and Release Program

Old 11-09-2015, 07:14 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad14 View Post
Not really. Invading countries and expecting everyone to welcome the US with open arms is laughable. Dropping nukes on countries and then trying to lecture other countries about human rights is laughable. Same goes for waterboarding.
You posses what can best be described as a cartoonish understanding of military affairs and world history. Shallow and deeply uninformed.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:44 PM

1,431 posts, read 913,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
You posses what can best be described as a cartoonish understanding of military affairs and world history. Shallow and deeply uninformed.
Funny how three people said that three different ways.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:59 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The cost of moving them to the states is minimal compared to the cost of keeping them housed at Guantanamo. How much does it cost to keep a prison inmate, $100K, $200K, this doesn't make financial sense. Keep in mind that they have been flying legal teams, support personnel back and forth to Cuba for 10 years, not very practical.

The war in Yemen has restricted the releases to that country, some will be released and some will be sent to the states awaiting a trial which should have been concluded long ago.
Provide a link and give me some numbers, then I will believe you.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:18 AM

57,322 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Provide a link and give me some numbers, then I will believe you.
This makes no fiscal sense, they should be state side

Quote:
Representative Adam Smith, the top Democrat on the House of Representatives Armed Services Committee, testified during the hearing that the current cost of operating the facility has jumped to $454 million in the fiscal year ended September 30, according to the U.S. Department of Defense, or about $2.7 million for each of the 166 inmates.

Smith said overall, $4.7 billion has been spent running Guantanamo since the facility opened in 2002.

By comparison, super-maximum security prisons in the United States spend about $60,000 to $70,000 at most to house their inmates, analysts say.

U.S. lawmakers blast Guantanamo's $2.7 million per prisoner cost | Reuters

Old 11-10-2015, 06:22 AM

57,322 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
We leave the Middle East now, we'll create a power vacuum and our terrorist problems will only get worse. Trust that. I don't like the wars, but we've backed ourselves into a corner.
Yes we are in a corner and all by ourselves as usual, there is little interest even from even our european allies. I would like to see something done to limit the exodus and protect innocent people but none of the neighboring countries seem to care. Saudi Arabia, UAE and Turkey even backed off mainly because they have their own problems that could explode.

There is no good strategy

Old 11-10-2015, 03:10 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
The Constitution requires only one branch of the service, the US Navy, its in section 10 I believe. Read it, its a fascinating document very few politicians read, especially the POTUS. Its main purpose is to keep sea lanes open and to protect our country against threats foreign and domestic. The Army is only required 2 years at a time, if memory is correct.
So, if we need something from another country, such as oil(Which your life depends on everyday here from food to clothes, phones, laptops, tvs, homes, delivery of products supplies etc etc etc) , and we need to protect them for our oil reserves to stay full, well, then the ME is where we will be for a long time. Till we deplete their reserves, which is a strategic thing for the survival of our country.
And, to protect our allies there, such as Israel.
So, we arent leaving anytime soon.
Our lives are not dependent on oil. Our lives are dependent on water. And killing for oil isn't the way to go about procuring it.
Which one of our 50 states is over there again? I can't remember. Where in the Constitution does it say to protect Israel and nation build? Trade with all nations, entangling alliances with none.
The idea is to deplete the oil there and then live off of our oil reserves while others have none. Of course alternate energy sources will be out by the time the Middle East Oil is depleted.

We handcuff Israel. Even Netanyahu wants us out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies