Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 10:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If it had been a loan we would see the difference.

TARP: The bailout success story that wasn

They didn't.

TARP: The bailout success story that wasn

Quit lying to me. Can we just let the kids write the loans off?
Rather than rely on a 2013 opinion piece why not look at the figures.

october 2015..we're ahead by $64 billion

https://projects.propublica.org/bailout/

LOL...just write off $1.2 trillion ?
Imagine the cost if that became reality ? Everyone and their brother would be going to college, the most expensive college at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 10:23 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
They should have no problem paying back their student loans. Problem solved.
Good point. If what mlassoff posts were true, student loan debt wouldn't be a problem. College grads would easily be able to pay off their debt with their higher percentages of employment and higher incomes.

LMAO!!!

And... wouldn't that render the million student march completely pointless? So... why did it even happen?

Old 11-13-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Good point. If what mlassoff posts were true, student loan debt wouldn't be a problem. College grads would easily be able to pay off their debt with their higher percentages of employment and higher incomes.

LMAO!!!

And... wouldn't that render the million student march completely pointless? So... why did it even happen?
They want a clean slate so they can start off with a new car and new home.
Can't do that when you have a student loan.
Wipe out the debt so they can accumulate new debt.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Many of the protests are only asking for the same interest rates the mega-banks get. Why should students pay 7-8% interest when the Federal Reserve loans money to their favorite banks at much lower rates-who can then loan out and make more than 10x what is actually in reserves by charging exorbitant interest rates?
They're getting a pretty sweet deal. Average credit card interest is about 18%.

Average Credit Card Interest Rates (APR) - 2015

Old 11-13-2015, 10:31 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This is what college students are learning. She didn't just make this up. She's being taught this. The Democrat Party and the liberals who are permanently ensconced in our institutions of higher "learning" are the biggest promoters of this nonsense.

Myth: Most of the nations wealth is owned by 1% of the population, and they are hoarding it
Truth: Wealth is created. There is no wealth "pie" that is finite. Wealthy people do not "hoard" their money; they invest it, which allows others to grow a business and create more wealth, no only for the investors, but for other people, and they create jobs and opportunity for people like this young lady to begin growing their own wealth. It's a long process, and it takes hard work and drive, but that is how wealth is created.

If I were this child's parents, I would pull her out of school so fast it would make her head spin, and tell her to get a job and work. Her formal education is done. The best place to learn about how the world works is not through "higher 'education'" but through life experience. These college kids are 'know nothings.' They have learned nothing but the rhetoric of the Left. "America is bad. The system is rigged (Elizabeth Warren). Rich people are greedy," etc., etc. But who's really greedy? They are those who think somebody else should pay for them.
And so what if they did? It's THEIR PROPERTY. They can do with it whatever they want.

I would like an iPhone. I assume this dimwit has one. Or, more specifically, is hoarding it. How about I take that phone from her, because I've decided that it's only FAIR, and is one of my demands? I bet she's have a problem with that.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Many of the protests are only asking for the same interest rates the mega-banks get. Why should students pay 7-8% interest when the Federal Reserve loans money to their favorite banks at much lower rates-who can then loan out and make more than 10x what is actually in reserves by charging exorbitant interest rates?

I'm sure you'd disagree with that as well. Why don't you care about the Federal Reserve creating unprecedented amounts of money since 2008-not only via bailouts but quantitative easing? 95% of that newly created money has gone to less than 1% of the population while the incomes of 90% of Americans are in stagnation or decline. For you to infer that this is not a real problem is lunacy-unless of course you do not wish for a sovereign United States in the future and instead want a globally hegemonic economy controlled by the parasites in US Government and Corporations now.

We saved the banks, who have only grown to control more of our economy post 2008. They are detached institutions that really do not have as big of a connection with the future and success of our country as having an educated and well trained American workforce does.

Yes, it's probably true that Government backed student loans have caused tuition to inflate to insane levels and yes students should have been more aware of what they were getting into-but saying that over and over without any action doesn't solve anything and won't save our economy and future as a nation. Enough with the bankster rhetoric and propaganda -we must do what is best for our country and its future. Everyone should have to play by the same rules. There should be many banking institutions dismantled and many in Government and Financial sector rotting in a jail cell.
but your benevolent government does that.
Nationalizing students loans is right up their with Obamacare.
Both were lauded by President Obama as making stuff "more affordable".
He just forgot to say "...and will load you down with debt".

What's best for our country is to follow Europe's guideline..the best and brightest get the free college.
But we'll never see that here in the US and you know why.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:38 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They're getting a pretty sweet deal. Average credit card interest is about 18%.

Average Credit Card Interest Rates (APR) - 2015
For one thing-student loan debt cannot be defaulted on. Credit card debt can, and often is.

2. Student loan debt has now surpassed credit card debt, and all debt.

And finally, some things should just not be for profit-including education, healthcare, war and prisons. It is cannibalistic for a nation to profit off the misery of it's people (in war, prisons and healthcare) and it's stifling to limit the success of it's people (with student loan tuition and debt).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
but your benevolent government does that.
Nationalizing students loans is right up their with Obamacare.
Both were lauded by President Obama as making stuff "more affordable".
He just forgot to say "...and will load you down with debt".

What's best for our country is to follow Europe's guideline..the best and brightest get the free college.
But we'll never see that here in the US and you know why.
Oh, I agree. It makes no sense to force everyone into a broken system (like ACA). I have little faith in Government to do what's right.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:39 AM

756 posts, read 424,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
And so what if they did? It's THEIR PROPERTY. They can do with it whatever they want.

I would like an iPhone. I assume this dimwit has one. Or, more specifically, is hoarding it. How about I take that phone from her, because I've decided that it's only FAIR, and is one of my demands? I bet she's have a problem with that.
Excellent point!
Poor people in third world countries need food, shelter and clothing too! Maybe we should tax her and other entitled, first world college students until those needs are met!

"Many of America’s 99 percenters, and the West’s, are really 1 percenters on a global level."
We’re All the 1 Percent | Foreign Policy

Old 11-13-2015, 10:40 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
Isnt college a privilege? If you want to go to college for free work your butt off for a scholarship. If everyone gets the same education, everyone becomes equal per say which means everyone will fight for the same jobs and it will leave all of the "menial" jobs vacant. Because there are only so many jobs that require a degree those that didn't obtain those jobs will refuse to work "menial" jobs because they have a degree and feel they deserve better. Who is going to fill them, the illegal immigrants that everyone wants to stay so bad? I busted my butt to get an education because I wanted it. A degree should not be free but rather earned. You don't learn responsibility if everything is given to you.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
For one thing-student loan debt cannot be defaulted on. Credit card debt can, and often is.

2. Student loan debt has now surpassed credit card debt, and all debt.

And finally, some things should just not be for profit-including education, healthcare, war and prisons.
Feel free to open your own non-profit uni.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies