Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 11:07 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Might be time to dust off that history book and read about the crash of 1929 and its aftermath.
People were rushing to pull all of their money because if the bank went under their money was gone. That is no longer the case today so the scenario's are not comparable.

My banks could have went under (I would actually like to see that) but I'd still have my money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 11:09 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Students are not cognizant of the cost of college since the government just hands over money.

Heck I would have loved to go to MIT but my GI Bill wouldn't have covered that cost.
So I went to 2 year CC and then 2 year university.
2 year CC..both books and tuition was covered.
2 year university..tuition was covered and I had to buy the books..don't think I ever bought a new book and never kept any of my books. I also worked on campus and had a p/t job. Took me 5 years to get the degree.
Ended up with a whooping debt of $32

My niece could have stayed and went to a state university (NY) but no..she went to a private out of state university and also used loan money for living expenses (didn't want a job while in school).

Uncle Sam hands out the money like it's candy. And these gullible students eat it up. Where are the parents advising them ?

Old 11-13-2015, 11:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
So?

Couldn't care less. If businesses can't learn from history, they deserve to fail.
Government hasn't learned from history either. Business did what the government allowed them to do.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:17 AM

503 posts, read 772,436 times
Here are some free colleges -
11 Tuition-Free Colleges - US News

Well, not technically free. You either work on campus or have a service commitment. Or go the HappyTexan route - GI bill.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:28 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Students are not cognizant of the cost of college since the government just hands over money.

Heck I would have loved to go to MIT but my GI Bill wouldn't have covered that cost.
2 year university..tuition was covered and I had to buy the books..don't think I ever bought a new book and never kept any of my books. I also worked on campus and had a p/t job. Took me 5 years to get the degree.

My niece could have stayed and went to a state university (NY) but no..she went to a private out of state university and also used loan money for living expenses (didn't want a job while in school).

Uncle Sam hands out the money like it's candy. And these gullible students eat it up. Where are the parents advising them ?
Yep, not to mention they peddle the loans to be used for almost anything. Cars, vacations, cc debt, etc.

The reason tuition increases is because the amount of money available to pay for tuition by the government has increased. When is seems free at the time the cost doesn't really matter, same thing that happened with held insurance. When people stopped worrying about the cost of an actual procedure cause insurance payed the costs sky rocketed.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:31 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:

If these student loans are forgiven, then how is that fair to those of us who did the right thing and attended the college we could afford? This is like a woman going to Neiman Marcus and buying the most expensive dress they have and then returning it for a full refund the day after the event.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
If these student loans are forgiven, then how is that fair to those of us who did the right thing and attended the college we could afford?
It's fair in the same way that if my business failed the government isn't going to bail it out.

Quote:
This is like a woman going to Neiman Marcus and buying the most expensive dress they have and then returning it for a full refund the day after the event.
Angleo Mozilo broke law after law and walked off with $600 million dollars.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Yep, not to mention they peddle the loans to be used for almost anything. Cars, vacations, cc debt, etc.

The reason tuition increases is because the amount of money available to pay for tuition by the government has increased. When is seems free at the time the cost doesn't really matter, same thing that happened with held insurance. When people stopped worrying about the cost of an actual procedure cause insurance payed the costs sky rocketed.

My wife told me that many girls at the college she attends use their student loan money for boob jobs and other cosmetic surgery.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's fair in the same way that if my business failed the government isn't going to bail it out.

Angleo Mozilo broke law after law and walked off with $600 million dollars.

My point is that if I knew that it would be free, I would have gone to the better school.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:35 AM

174 posts, read 124,523 times
Quote:

Not sure if you noticed state schools have gotten pretty ridiculous in tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies