Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 02:19 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,936,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The weather and geography will keep attracting people and business to California.

Business owners will pay a premium to be there because it's a great place to live if you're rich. Workers will pay the high COL for the weather and the jobs.

If the water weren't so dang cold and I was loaded, I would consider moving there. The California beach lifestyle is extremely appealing to me, but I can't afford it.
To be fair; the coastal Calif weather IS very good. Tho if a person's gonna deal with Palm Springs climate straight to the Nevada or Arizona borders; it's less hassle to live in in those 2 states because the weather's the same and MUCH less regulation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 02:23 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,740,421 times
Samsung, Intel, Google Fitjsu..... All moved to Austin. Microsoft is on its way.(I think they are/were Washington based)

California is reaping the Liberal harvest it has sown over the decades !!! The liberals in California are directly responsible for the collapse of the California economy !!!!!!!!!! California is getting what it voted for over the years !!

It costs twice as much to rent a U-Haul, to move from San Francisco to Austin, then it does to go the reverse direction. The reason? U-Haul has to pay people to bring trucks back to California, because almost no one will do it voluntarily. It’s an exodus caused by the economic desert that California’s Democrat lawmakers and regulators have created.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:32 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,387,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Samsung, Intel, Google Fitjsu..... All moved to Austin. Microsoft is on its way.(I think they are/were Washington based)

California is reaping the Liberal harvest it has sown over the decades !!! The liberals in California are directly responsible for the collapse of the California economy !!!!!!!!!! California is getting what it voted for over the years !!

It costs twice as much to rent a U-Haul, to move from San Francisco to Austin, then it does to go the reverse direction. The reason? U-Haul has to pay people to bring trucks back to California, because almost no one will do it voluntarily. It’s an exodus caused by the economic desert that California’s Democrat lawmakers and regulators have created.
Folks, the sky isn't falling. We're fine despite all the usual nay-sayers.

California Business Climate: Market Says It

Our state budget is back on track. I'll take our so-called "bad economy" to that of Kansas and Louisiana anytime.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:32 PM

45,719 posts, read 27,340,900 times
Why Businesses Leave California

The Texas Public Policy Foundation’s Chuck DeVore served in the California state assembly from 2004 and 2010, and he has written frequently about the vastly different approaches to tax policy and economic regulation found in California and Texas. He echoes The Economist’s pessimism about California’s ability to sustain the current tech boom, let alone expand on it to benefit the rest of the state.

In recent years, he says, “California’s job market has rebounded on the strength of Pacific Rim markets, Silicon Valley, and the creative industries. But the Golden State’s big-government-knows-best policymakers continue to export jobs from more traditional sectors of the economy. The net result is a widening rift between the elites who live within ten miles of the Pacific and the rest of the state. It’s only a matter of time before California’s high-tax, heavy-regulation policies will cause the state to once again lead the nation in job losses.” And low-tax, business-friendly Texas will be the biggest beneficiary.

Here's testimony from a guy who has served in both states. Taxes... regulation... it's not difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Folks, the sky isn't falling. We're fine despite all the usual nay-sayers.

California Business Climate: Market Says It

I agree the sky is not falling, but there should be at least some concern. I am sure those business would rather stay in California than spend all of that money and time to move.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:41 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,417,491 times
I just started a business in CA.

And Texas is a flat, humid, ugly hellhole.

That is all.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:45 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,949,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

That is all.
I couldn't help but laugh at this, since much of California climate and geography is very similar to Texas..

Old 11-13-2015, 02:51 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,137,024 times
Leftists here, this is what's known a a clue. The opposite is happening in Texas and South Carolina.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Toyota moved to Plano.
Look at the context - that's more for logistical and geographical reasons than just about cost.

When Toyota set up shop, it was an importer, primarily, so it made sense to have US headquarters in Torrance, CA. Closer to Japan, close to the port (LA-Long Beach).

Today, Toyota is pretty much a home-grown, North America centered company with manufacturing plants located in the heartland of the US. So it's a good idea to have your HQ near a major air hub (DFW) with direct flights everywhere - you're sending managers all over the place.

Their design shop, CALTY, I believe will stay in California, because the designers are there and don't want to leave.

On another note --- GM, Ford, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz (and perhaps others) have all opened R&D centers in Silicon Valley. Why? that's where there's a lot of engineering talent.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Leftists here, this is what's known a a clue. The opposite is happening in Texas and South Carolina.
Not really. The so-called Texas miracle is way overstated...

Oops: The Texas Miracle That Isn’t by Phillip Longman | The Washington Monthly

Old 11-13-2015, 03:01 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,678,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post

That is all.
Since the tallest mountain in Texas is higher than any mountain in the US west of the Mississippi, it is quite clear the poster is not only ignorant of Texas but also butt-hurt.

Ugly Texas:

Guadalupe River:

South Padre Island:

Lake Travis:

Big Bend:

Houston skyliine:

I could post photo after photo, but since this post will most likely be deleted, there isn't much use.

The point is, the poster doesn't know anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies