Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Rahm Emanuel Resign as Mayor of Chicago
Yes 70 56.91%
No 16 13.01%
Chicago is a Lost City. Doesn't Matter. 37 30.08%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 04:44 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
If there is no further political fall-out I too will be disappointed. I live in Chicago, and not in some posh neighborhood either, so of course I'm concerned about what's going on here. The problem with some people is they seem to think that if you're concerned about disproportionate police brutality towards Blacks (The focus of BLM), then you can't also be concerned about Black on Black violence. They seem to think that you can't be willing to condemn corruption in the government and also willing to condemn gangs and crime. I condemn all of it. I hate to see police (Not all police, not even most police, but still too many) violating the trust of the black community, and I also hate seeing the black community complain that the police don't do anything to help them while clinging to their stupid "no snitch" policy. (In the Tyshawn Lee case, word on the street was that everybody knew who killed him, but no one, not even his own father, would cooperate with the police. Partly because of some idiotic code, and partly because of a desire to dispense "street justice" which, sadly could involve the shooting of another innocent child)

Personally, I'd love it if bad cops would stop brutalizing black people, and if black people, particularly the idiot gangbangers, would stop brutalizing each other (and countless bystanders) BLM can't focus on every problem in the city, and yet they are continuously criticized for not doing so. And the people spearheading the criticism, like (as you mentioned) Limbaugh, aren't toothless demagogues. They may not cause BLM much consternation, but he and his ilk are very powerful when it comes to shaping the rest of the public's perception of the movement. They seem determined to make sure that that perception is negative, and make every effort to invalidate or marginalize BLM's concerns with the rest of the country.
Are there any influential conservatives expressing support for BLM? Or even acknowledging that there is an issue with disproportionate police brutality towards blacks, particularly black men?
You mentioned that in organizations like BLM or NAACP, conservatives aren't given a seat at the card game. Have they been trying to get one? If not, why not? Seems they're more interested in discrediting, marginalizing and dismissing the concerns of those movements/organizations than addressing injustices towards the Black community.

Regarding the $5mil. That has nothing to do with BLM. It wasn't paid to BLM. It was a (perfectly legal) out of court settlement paid to the family. Out of court settlements are commonplace, and non-disclosure/confidentiality clauses are very often part of them. After all, the point of a settlement is usually to avoid bad publicity. There is nothing illegal about that. It is a civil matter. The family are horrible people who abandoned and abused that kid all of his life, and got a payday out of his tragic death. My disgust with the settlement doesn't make it any less legal though.

Now, there is widespread assumption that Rahm was directly involved in a cover-up of the criminal investigation, but no evidence has been presented yet to back that up. (He wasn't the one at the crime scene bullying witnesses, writing false reports, and erasing surveillance videos and audio) If evidence comes out that he was involved, I will gladly call for his head, sign the recall petition, and cast my vote to oust him, but until all the information comes out (The FBI is still actively investigating) no one knows who is involved, or to what extent. I certainly believe that it is possible that he was involved, and his political connections have kept him insulated from the fallout, but I think this has become too high profile at this point for him to be protected if he was. I hope the truth comes out soon, and I too hope that BLM continues to apply pressure until the truth comes out, and until meaningful change happens.

On a final note: You've made some good points regarding the Chicago Dem's often contentious history with the Civil Rights movement, and I thank you for your reasoned and well thought out response. [MOD CUT/trolling]
You raise a good point about the FBI investigation, I'm glad they are digging around. Maybe I'm a little jaded because we all know that the Blago fed probe ended *prematurely* after an *unknown leak* alerted the 5-6 bidders that would be sharing a cell with him otherwise.

I also agree that BLM is inherently separate from black on black violence....and I get tired of everyone racializing everything (both sides). Sometimes someone does something bad to someone of another race just because their a-holes and not due to race lol.

Good discussion and stay warm up there, I don't miss my mile long walk across the downtown to work from the train station.

P.S. I also might be jaded because the whole anti-war movement got subverted by politics as well (Cindy Sheehan would be the poster child) Then you have Occupy....nuff said. All organizations with valid points that imo lost legitimacy by straying off core mission and becoming lapdogs.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-08-2015 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I voted #3. Chicago deserves the very person that it elected.
Elected? lmafao.

Appointed by the oligarchy is closer to the truth.

Whomever wins the dem primary is the next mayor.

Whomever gathers enough back-room support generally wins the primary.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:51 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
I voted NO because I want him to run again and suffer the most humiliating defeat ever done to any candidate. He was a total jerk from the very beginning, should never have been mayor and was/is an obama lackey. He should leave office in complete disgrace !

Old 12-03-2015, 05:47 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Mayor Rahm Emanuel of Chicago, formerly Obama's Chief of Staff, has decided to throw his police force under the bus by firing the CPD Police Chief today. Some local community protesters are also calling for his resignation.
That police force chief is a liar and deceiver. I don't know about his direct responsibility in the shooting incident, but the fact that he covered it up is enough to kick his butt. The truth should be made public. If he supports his officers he could say "I take all responsibility".
Quote:

Should Rahm Emanuel resign?
Why? I mean he could resign on every day, but why now? However, if he participated in cover ups - he should go as well

Old 12-03-2015, 06:48 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Under the best of circumstances Emanuel could have claimed he knew nothing up until the award, that is a difficult to imagine since he claimed the video was under wraps because of the FBI investigation which turned out to be a blatant lie. The worst could be that he purposely delayed the award and release of the video until after the election, either way he needs to go.

Over a year to investigate a shooting that was clearly caught on tape.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:06 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Rahm needs to go, to prison. Period.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:37 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Resign or be impeached

Old 12-05-2015, 05:01 AM

As we speak, Rahm is negotiating with Sharpton or Jackson to come to Chicago and cool things down and say nice things about how Rahm is working hard to help blacks etc etc.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:45 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
The Latest: No charges for Chicago cop in black man's death

Police say the 25-year-old Johnson pointed a gun at officers before Hernandez shot him in the back.

The Latest: No charges for Chicago cop in black man's death

Was this like one of the old wild west trick shot things where he was using a mirror to aim the gun behind him?

Old 12-08-2015, 05:53 PM

Bump. Looks like chicagos politicians are getting away with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies