Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 02:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
The Sikh religion originated in India to stop the Islamic jihad. Many Sikh Gurus were killed by Muslims.

Americans are ignorant about world religions. Now that they have imported everyone, Americans will have to educate themselves; who is the friend and who the enemy.
Of course they are. We're not allowed to teach about them in the public schools.

I went to Catholic school and we learned about all the various religions.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:17 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
There was Sikh temple shooting few years back and even now, looks like it's no different.

A gurudwara that is not even remotely connected to Islam is vandalized with anti ISIS graffiti...

Gurdwara Vandalized in Los Angeles With Anti-ISIS Graffiti
I, for one, am well aware of what Sikhs are and have nothing but respect for these dudes wearing nice turbans and a well-groomed beard.

Unfortunately, Bubba needs some education...

Old 12-09-2015, 08:28 PM

369 posts, read 193,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Of course they are. We're not allowed to teach about them in the public schools.
Yes we are. Who told you that nonsense?

Old 12-09-2015, 08:52 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
VERY IGNORANT about any culture or religion that is different from their own. Sad.

Mass immigration of highly dissimilar peoples into America may bring misunderstanding, conflict and enmity. It may be "sad". But it does give you the chance to feel knowledgeable compared to the ignorant masses. And that's what's important, right? It isn't the good of society that matters, it's that rush you get knowing you're on the right side of history and not an evil bigot.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:54 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
probably the best thing possible to be ignorant of. go USA!
Yep..Just like juries who are ignorant when they pass judgement....As you just said..God Bless Ignorance about those who you sit in Judgement of!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
VERY IGNORANT about any culture or religion that is different from their own. Sad.
Yes..Sad indeed..Those lacking information and moved by bigotry are now released to threaten( which was warned by Secretary Lynch no less a week ago) and green light for HATE to get unleashed with Threats/ Pig heads being tossed on porch of Mosque...It's obvious..None of such folks have one clue about the religion of Islam) only what rhetoric that has been aspoused by Politicians and ISSIS themselves...BTW..ISSIS does not represent Islam ( as G W stated post 9/11) yet those 25% of hate filled ones want to declare a religion unwelcome. Obviously these same folks have no idea of the American history!! Religion was the sole reason for the founding of US..BUT ignorance abound will continue...and unfortunately..younger get influenced by OLD fogey's who have NO idea beyond yesterday let alone 250 years ago!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
You're kinda painting with the same broad brush. I think over all, Americans have as good a grasp or better than the rest of the world. As always, on any subject, we hear from the vocal minority.
I can only hope and pray you are right..however..between twitter and here..I'm wondering about some attitudes being displayed

Old 12-09-2015, 08:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhno75 View Post
Yes we are. Who told you that nonsense?
We don't. There is no "World Religions" class

Old 12-09-2015, 08:56 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Comparative religion was part of my middle school and high school public education in Connecticut. Of course, here, when they teach about Islam (or Buddahisim, etc) we don't have lunatics protesting that the public schools are trying to indoctrinate and convert the students...

Old 12-09-2015, 08:56 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
I can't say I really know much about world religions, I am no expert. I can't really say I understand everything about my own religion although I went to a Catholic school.

This being said, I have zero interests in other religions. But I do understand that in order to avoid conflicts, being sensitive towards other people's religion is essential. I just hope mutual understanding and respect can be achieved somehow. No more No less.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:05 PM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
I, for one, am well aware of what Sikhs are and have nothing but respect for these dudes wearing nice turbans and a well-groomed beard.

Unfortunately, Bubba needs some education...
Ya, like you care about what "Bubba" believes in. Good for you. The tolerance is just dripping here. We should all know every religion because people like you think we should. All 4200 religions.

But homeboys have a well-groomed beard. Talk about shallow.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:42 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Where I grew up, we had all kinds of religion and churches:
[] Russian Orthodox
[] Greek Orthodox
[] Syrian Orthodox
[] Polish Roman Catholic
[] Slovak Byzantine Rite
[] Lebanese Maronite Rite
[] German Roman Catholic
[] Irish Roman Catholic
[] Ukrainian Roman Catholic
[] Jewish synagogue
[] African Methodist
[] Episcopal
[] Lutheran
[] Seventh Day Adventists

[grin]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies