Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is "white privilege" an excuse for black failure?
yes 204 71.58%
no 81 28.42%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 09:49 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,339,345 times

Advertisements

Historically, I think it existed, but is an idea whose time has long since passed.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:50 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's Black Liberation Theology. It preaches race-based hatred. Gave a brief example of it in this post, but there's at least several more examples I could give from the founder's (James H Cone) writings:

//www.city-data.com/forum/42420838-post22.html

I think to make an argument about most black people.....you need at least 20 million examples, given 40 million black people in this country.

I think that you can spot racism from the sampling errors. In other words, when sampling .0001 percent of black people tells you ALL ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE. Likely the sampling is too small...plus....selection bias. Why you did not sample Ben Carson opinions escapes me.....lol.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:50 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
But the writer DOES do that, a lot of writers do that. They want to make a living. It's very commonplace to do that.

What we're talking about here is someone either changing their name (in the case of a male romance author, changing to a female name) or just not writing the kind of books they want to write. Maybe it was always their dream to write those books. And so if they "can't" unless they give in and change their name, then what? Are they better off? Are they happier? Would you encourage them to not change their name? How would you suggest they make a living?

But that's the reality. People do this all the time, and have for ages. Many of them don't think twice about it, they just do it. In a small way, I have done it.

But you seem to think this one type is separate and special, and I believe, "worse" than the other types. I'm not sure that's always so.

I'm not trying to deny that there is discrimination against black people sometimes. There is. There is also discrimination against women, against old people, young people, fat people, and the list goes on.

It would be racist, but I'm not sure where "white privilege" comes in. I don't think that the fact that no one has ever told me to straighten my hair has made me privileged, when I still get told to get breast reductions, get told all sorts of rude, nasty things (as many—most—of us have). It's the human condition. People are nasty and rude to each other sometimes. The type of things we may get told vary depending on our sex, race, shape, but they all hurt and they all stink. So explain to me, what makes "white privilege" so especially grievous in this instance?
I said a writer shouldn't need to do that, I am aware writers do do that.

Why can't a writer write a book they want because of their name? You would read a good book regardless of what the writer's name was.

Just because something is a reality or has been done for ages doesn't mean it should be accepted and a continued practice. Gay marriage use to be accepted as being illegal, but that doesn't mean we should still be denying them the right to marry just because it was done for ages and accepted.

No, I do not think one type is "special," think this thread is about a specific topic, I suggest you stick to that one topic rather than trying to drive a thread off topic.

Yes, we are all aware that discrimination doesn't just happen to black people, thanks for stating the obvious.

So basically you don't understand what white privilege is, even though it had been pointed out several times in this thread.....

Old 12-28-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
And there's discrimination against the "privileged."

A gay friend couldn't get a job he was highly qualified for, because he was white and male. I asked him if his gay 'status' helped him (because being gay would make him a minority), and he laughed and said no. But just to be clear, he wasn't being discriminated against because he was gay, it was because he was white and male. Had he been female, had he been a person of color, he would have been hired for the job.

It's a shame when anyone is shut out from something they're qualified for, because they're the wrong race, sex, age, color, shape, etc. But it happens.
I doubt that, unless he was applying for a waitress job at Hooters.....

Old 12-28-2015, 09:52 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Historically, I think it existed, but is an idea whose time has long since passed.

But it IMPACT has not passed. We are no longer using agent orange in Vietnam, but its seeped into the soil and water and still causing genetic defects today. The fact that something has, stopped or diminished greatly, does not mean that the impact no longer exists either.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
What mash123's trying to say is Jews in this case DON'T let what others think or do "keep them down", the Jews find other ways to take care of business. Black Africans in the US have that SAME rep, they don't let some PWT bigot or hood rat keep them down.
I doubt Jews just accept discrimination as a way of life, nor should those in the black community, nor should anyone. The fact that you would even suggest such a thing means you don't understand discrimination or why it is wrong to discriminate because of someone's name.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:55 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think to make an argument about most black people.....you need at least 20 million examples, given 40 million black people in this country.

I think that you can spot racism from the sampling errors. In other words, when sampling .0001 percent of black people tells you ALL ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE. Likely the sampling is too small...plus....selection bias. Why you did not sample Ben Carson opinions escapes me.....lol.
None of your response is related to my post. I explained the race-based hatred preached by Black Liberation Theology and gave an example.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
How about a White Curse? What Black people fail to realize is....all people including White People are judged because of their skin color.

A black Person hiring for a position is more likely to hire a Black person.

A White Person hiring for a position is more likely to hire a Black Person ( for fear of being accused of being a racist).

Neither person ( Black or White) will hire the best 'Person' for the job.
If that were true, unemployment would be lowest among blacks because they would have the easiest times finding a job. Which if you know the statistics, you would know your statement was false. You also seem to make the assumption that the best person for a job search a white person.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:57 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
But it IMPACT has not passed. We are no longer using agent orange in Vietnam, but its seeped into the soil and water and still causing genetic defects today. The fact that something has, stopped or diminished greatly, does not mean that the impact no longer exists either.
There are many laws and systems out there in place to advocate for racial equality, if not outright preference for minority races. Non-white groups have loud and strong advocates in the public space.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:58 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Every dominant group has privilege. In Spain being Castilian is superior to being Basque. In China it's far better to be Han than Uyghur. In Turkey being Turkish is better than being Kurdish. In most cases the dominant group plays hard ball with the weaker group and punishes them for not assimilating and jails many for plotting against the dominate govt. Decades ago France wouldn't grant citizenship to children given Celtic names in Brittany. There is a general American privilege as well. If an American and a Moldovan get kidnapped somewhere whose govt is more likely to get them back? Do you think Captain Phillips is rescued by a fighter ship if he's from Namibia?

Black Americans were the low men on a racial caste system that was encoded in the legal system from 1600 to the 1960s. You have 300+ years of forced servitude with no freedom, families split apart at auctions, slave women forced to birth children from sexual assault by White masters, separate public facilities, lynchings, etc vs 50 years of much better though imperfect conditions. I think it's unreasonable to expect everything bad from 360 years of horror to suddenly disappear in 50 years. As I previously said the main problem facing Black America today is unequal enforcement of the law. Tim Allen sells a large amount of cocaine in the 1970s and is paroled after 2 years and becomes a comedian millionaire. Many Black men convicted of selling far less amounts are still in prison.
Jews suffered hundreds of years of discrimination in Russia, and in one generation, after being given almost equal rights in USSR of 1920-s, they became the most educated ethnicity there.
The same happened in USA. Jews escaped from the terrible pogroms and massacres in Russia at the late 19 century, they came to this country without English language, they suffered from american discrimination, and yet after two generations they became also the most successful minority.
So, I'm sorry, but I'm not buying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies