Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 10:55 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
When I was in school in the late 1970's the BIG "climate" worry was "global cooling". So I DON'T take the "global warming" thing real serious at all.
No it wasn't. There was ONE article about this in TIME magazine, and saying that this has anything to do with the science today is only an indicator of someone who does not understand climate change.

It's similar to a denialist bringing up Al Gore, it is another indicator that the person has no scientific concept whatsoever of climate change.

The "global cooling" story was never BIG, it was a theory that was offered up once. It was never widely accepted and was wrong. It is now 2015, soon to be 2016. Things have changed since the 1970's, and one of them is the rate at which the planet is warming.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:00 PM

188 posts, read 103,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Certain foods could disappear thanks to our changing climate. Brace yourself: here are 10 foods you’ll probably be sad to see go:

1. Avocados
2. Apples
3. Beer
4. Rice and beans
5. Seafood
6. Chocolate
7. Coffee
8. Peanut butter
9. Wine
10. Potatoes

Sorry, you can’t have fries with that: Here are 10 foods that may disappear thanks to climate change

I'm not sure I want to live in a world without coffee, chocolate and peanut butter.
Are you expecting that any of this will be taken seriously by any serious person.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:24 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,981,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
No it wasn't. There was ONE article about this in TIME magazine, and saying that this has anything to do with the science today is only an indicator of someone who does not understand climate change.

It's similar to a denialist bringing up Al Gore, it is another indicator that the person has no scientific concept whatsoever of climate change.

The "global cooling" story was never BIG, it was a theory that was offered up once. It was never widely accepted and was wrong. It is now 2015, soon to be 2016. Things have changed since the 1970's, and one of them is the rate at which the planet is warming.
Your disinfo won't work, odanny. As the OP does, I remember too. Far, far more than "one":

John Holdren--now ~O~'s "science czar"--even insisted on the likely probability of a nearing anthropogenic "new ice age." Here are direct scans of pp. 76-77 of his 1971 book Global Ecology: Readings Toward a Rational Strategy for Man:
http://www.zombietime.com/zomblog/wp...76-7_quote.jpg
http://www.zombietime.com/zomblog/wp..._fullquote.jpg

Elsewhere, this:
“The world could be as little as 50 or 60 years away from a disastrous new ice age, a leading atmospheric scientist predicts.” -Washington Post, July 9, 1971 reporting on Dr. S. I. Rasool[/b] of NASA and Columbia University
https://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2015/04/02/45-years-since-top-scientists-warned-that-fossil-fuels-would-cause-a-new-ice-age/

Want more?

Last edited by mm4; 12-27-2015 at 12:15 AM..

Old 12-26-2015, 11:48 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
There is one thing we can lose for sure very soon. It's natural honey.
The last scientific observations show that year by year the bee's population on the planet is decreasing. It is possible that some day all colonies of bees will totally disappear.
Bee population rising around the world

Bee population rising around the world | Ag Professional

Old 12-27-2015, 12:12 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
AlterNutz

Old 12-27-2015, 12:21 AM

33,557 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
When I was in school in the late 1970's the BIG "climate" worry was "global cooling". So I DON'T take the "global warming" thing real serious at all.
Actually it wasn't....That was just your paranoid media in action.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:21 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,021,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Certain foods could disappear thanks to our changing climate. Brace yourself: here are 10 foods you’ll probably be sad to see go:

1. Avocados
2. Apples
3. Beer
4. Rice and beans
5. Seafood
6. Chocolate
7. Coffee
8. Peanut butter
9. Wine
10. Potatoes

Sorry, you can’t have fries with that: Here are 10 foods that may disappear thanks to climate change

I'm not sure I want to live in a world without coffee, chocolate and peanut butter.
Here's 10 things that could disappear with demographic change:

1. Good public schools.
2. Safe neighborhoods.
3. Good parks, both local and national.
4. Christmas.
5. Charity.
6. Good jobs.
7. Corruption free local governments.
8. The need to not be armed.
9. Vibrant urban cores.
10. Small businesses.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:34 AM

33,557 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Your disinfo won't work, odanny. As the OP does, I remember too. Far, far more than "one":

John Holdren--now ~O~'s "science czar"--even insisted on the likely probability of a nearing anthropogenic "new ice age." Here are direct scans of pp. 76-77 of his 1971 book Global Ecology: Readings Toward a Rational Strategy for Man:
http://www.zombietime.com/zomblog/wp...76-7_quote.jpg
http://www.zombietime.com/zomblog/wp..._fullquote.jpg

Elsewhere, this:
“The world could be as little as 50 or 60 years away from a disastrous new ice age, a leading atmospheric scientist predicts.” -Washington Post, July 9, 1971 reporting on Dr. S. I. Rasool[/b] of NASA and Columbia University
https://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/2015/04/02/45-years-since-top-scientists-warned-that-fossil-fuels-would-cause-a-new-ice-age/

Want more?
Yes I do....Please post any scientific study that confirms what you found on the denial site (Ironically named "Real science") and your Zombie site...

Steven Goddard (pseudonym for Tony Heller) is a blogger and the publisher of "Real Science," a website he established to promulgate his assertions that concerns over anthropogenic global warming are unfounded. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Goddard

More on Tony Heller (alias Steven Goddard) http://climatecrocks.com/tag/steven-goddard/

Try this site for the real story.... The 1970s Ice Age Myth and Time Magazine Covers – by David Kirtley – Greg Laden's Blog

By the way I do not believe the OP in the least...Our food supply will be just fine.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:54 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yes I do....Please post any scientific study that confirms what you found on the denial site (Ironically named "Real science") and your Zombie site...

Steven Goddard (pseudonym for Tony Heller) is a blogger and the publisher of "Real Science," a website he established to promulgate his assertions that concerns over anthropogenic global warming are unfounded. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Goddard

More on Tony Heller (alias Steven Goddard) steven goddard | Climate Denial Crock of the Week

Try this site for the real story.... The 1970s Ice Age Myth and Time Magazine Covers – by David Kirtley – Greg Laden's Blog

By the way I do not believe the OP in the least...Our food supply will be just fine.
I especially like that one of those sites pointed out that the Times cover claiming global cooling, did not in fact actually occur. IE people claiming it did are intentionally deceiving people.

However.....like other posters here during my high school one of my instructors did discuss global cooling, as I recall (it was a long long time ago) it was stated to be "some researchers claim". Peak oil was a larger concern, but my teacher also indicated that with more oil being found it was difficult to estimate when that would occur, and if we would discover other energy sources before.

Looking back, I had some pretty good teachers that taught well. (Well except for the aerospace teacher that taught us that glass is a slow moving liquid, he should have stuck with aerospace as he taught that well).

Old 12-27-2015, 12:59 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
NEVER going to happen.

seems you are rite....

Quote:
A controversial, but cheap solution of last resort has emerged known as “solar radiation management.” A geoengineering technique, it would shoot particles into the sky to reflect sunlight back to space.

“The central idea is to make the planet a little bit more reflective, which tends to cool it down, because it will absorb less sunlight. And that will partially and imperfectly compensate for the buildup of greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide, which are tending to trap heat and make the earth warmer,” says Harvard environmental scientist David Keith, who works at the intersection of environmental science, energy technology and public policy.

A cheap but dangerous global warming fix | PBS NewsHour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies