Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 11:24 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I have. And I've spent quite a lot of time talking and working with women who do live in the Middle East. There are big differences in women's situations from one country to the next in the Middle East. And in most countries, honor killlings, stonings and lashings are not the norm.

In fact in Jordan, which has rightly been criticized for its leniency on men guilty of honor killings, has about 30 honor killings each year. That's with a population of about 2.3 million women. As a comparison, approximately 10,800 women in the US are murdered each year by their romantic partners. That is out of 158 million women, so a larger population, but also a much higher incidence. Yes, the laws here are better for convicting the men who commit this violence, but the odds of you or I being murdered as a woman in a gender-based crime are actually quite a bit higher here in the US.
I suspect that you are comparing apples and oranges here.

The National Forensic Medicine Center recorded 120 murdered women in Jordan in 2006, with 18 cases classified officially as crimes of honor. When you run the numbers, the rates are remarkably similar.

Furthermore, the BBC stated that many honor killings in Jordan go unreported so the Jordanian rate could be higher.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
There is no "British Asian" community. It's PC whitewash to describe those of Pakistani and Bangladeshi descent.
Yes there is. Most are Pakistani and Bangladeshi but many are of Indian origin.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
No, but honor killings account for about a quarter of all murders in Jordan, regardless of the gender of the victim. Domestic violence leading to homicide in the US accounts for about 1/3 of all murders where the victim was a woman in the US. The murder rate in Jordan (2.0) is actually significantly lower than the murder rate in the US (52.6). If most of us women in the US go through life without being constantly afraid we will be murdered and our murder rate is that many multiples higher than the murder rate in Jordan, you can probably understand why fear of becoming a victim of an honor killing is not really something that is on the minds of most Jordanian women I have spoken to.
You are cherry picking by using Jordan (and your murder rate for the USA is wrong). Why not use Pakistan, Iran or Iraq?

And none of it is relevant to the discussion which is about the cultural attitudes of young men of North African or Middle Eastern origin towards women and the extent to which those attitudes have been influenced by religion.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:32 AM

1,261 posts, read 951,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
So now we are full circle in your SOP. America is to blame for women being molested and raped by Muslims in Cologne Germany. You are a one trick pony.
Omg, that is not even close to what I said, Old Guard.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:32 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,826,547 times
The German people know how to deal with outsiders. This will get solved internally by citizens

Old 01-06-2016, 11:46 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,491,666 times
Quote:
Omg, that is not even close to what I said, Old Guard.
Than why do you have to bring up Christians, Americans and in this specific case white supremacists in every discussion about Muslims behaving badly?

These were not skine heads in Russia preying on foreigners and homosexuals which is actually a known issue and there has been speculation that the government gives at least its tacit approval for. This is not domestic violence where one of the two people who were in a relationship got stupid.

These were Muslims foreigners in a non-Mulsim country banding up and sexually assaulting and raping women in the host country.

This has nothing to do with Christians, excepting the victims may have been Christian, or Americans but you go to page on one your Al Quida handbook and start trying to blame shift.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:50 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
This massive influx of Muslims who do not share Europe's liberal values means the end of the EU, and the end of liberalism there. Next elections will see a massive shift to right wing, anti immigrant, anti Muslim parties.

Let's hope so. That's the only way I can see this being nipped in the bud, before it gets even worse. And it WILL get worse, if left unchecked. These "young men" aren't refugees, they are invaders.

Honestly, I don't see why Europe seems so gung-ho in favor of Muslim immigration. Even if the immigrants were as peaceful as a Buddhist monk, the question remains: what's in it for the host countries? What is the benefit to them? (Of course, the fact that the invading hordes are about as "peaceful" as Genghis Khan just makes the whole thing all the more perplexing.)

Old 01-06-2016, 11:53 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Yet to this day whenever there are anti-migrant/refugee protests, there are pro-migrant/refugee counter protests that are even larger. Germany is getting what it is asking for, basically. Hard to feel much sympathy. Hopefully we can learn from their mistakes, but it is unlikely. Political correctness is a powerful mental disease.

'Political correctness is a powerful mental disease."

Love it. I'm normally not of the one size fits all mentality, but every rule has it's exception. I sympathize with the Muslims that are good law abiding citizens, and my heart breaks for the innocent children suffering. But, if you're a guest in my home and you behave in an inappropriate manner, you will be asked to leave and never return. I do not believe that we should be tolerant of anything less. Cultural differences or not.

I believe Isis is an internal problem that should be solved in the Middle East. If we allow refugees to come and we take care of all of their problems, like we do with the welfare culture, are we then creating a culture of infinite dependence? I don't know. I see the billions we spent arming and training the Iraqis who outnumbered Isis fighter by a great number, yet, they still ran away leaving all of our hard earned dollars and equipment in Isis hands, and I think that we need to find a way to stop.

Are we supposed to stay for decades fighting a mentality that we have no control over? I wonder how much better off we would be if we focused our efforts to be independent of anything coming out of the Middle East instead? Could we then leave them to their own devises like we do in Africa as we turn a blind eye to their genocide and atrocities?

Ah yeah the political correct, but it only applies if we don't need something from you.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
So now we are full circle in your SOP. America is to blame for women being molested and raped by Muslims in Cologne Germany. You are a one trick pony.
That must have been in their talking points. That's the bulk of comments I see from the left..."well in the US ....".

They don't want to stay on point and within the topic.
They want to go and talk about rape crimes in the US instead.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:08 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
REVEALED: 1,000+ Migrants Brawl, Rape, Sexually Assault, And Steal At ONE German Train Station On New Year's Eve

This isn't getting covered in the mainstream media, or if it is, it's as a brief mention. Appears that a mass crowd of over a thousand migrant men from North Africa and Middle East groped, tore clothing off of, and even raped German women as the women tried to reach the train station on New Year's Eve.

Wonder why this is being downplayed in the media? No report of it on NPR, CNN, NYT whatsoever. And it happened five days ago.
The few who were arrested all had immigration papers, they weren't migrants, they were legal residents and skilled workers. The German police characterized the incident as a new dimension in "organized crime". But who knows, it could have been an internet flashmob, or something. Investigations are ongoing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies