Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:04 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
It stopped. Has anything justified in the Koran stopped?
Yes, sure. Women in Iran back before the new fundie politics dressed in modern Western clothes, had jobs, etc. Turkey was liberal and more secular as well; still is, relatively. That stuff is subject to interpretation, and depends on who's in power.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:08 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, sure. Women in Iran back before the new fundie politics dressed in modern Western clothes, had jobs, etc. Turkey was liberal and more secular as well; still is, relatively. That stuff is subject to interpretation, and depends on who's in power.
You got it backwards. Koran and its "interpretation" never changed. All that happened was that the Shah did not rule by the Koran but the current folks do. They restored the Koranic rules, aka, sharia. So, no your analogy with the Bible does not hold water.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:22 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,550,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Germany and most of the Germans seem to be quite pleased with their continued support of Merkle and her plan. At this point, my sympathy for them has started to run dry.
I suspect mass forced deportations back to the "Holy Lands" are not too far away . . .

Old 01-06-2016, 10:44 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,760,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
it's totally disingenuous to equate this as some kind of "Christian" violence. Nowhere that I have seen have these scumbags been identified as Christian, either by themselves or by anyone else. .
I've found that some people think that anyone who is American is "Christian". Especially if they are white. And especially if they live in the South.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:40 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Learning from history is supposed to mean that the same bad mistakes aren't repeated.

It's not meant to compare ancient history to today and excusing what is going on today (with a faith that is stuck in ancient times) because "back then those Christians…."

Or is that "leaning" going to happen 50 years from now when your daughters and granddaughters have to walk 10 feet behind their "men" while covered from head to toe in black robes?

Who cares what bible verse supported what back in the day? Can't get away with any of that now, not in the US without being called a nut job.

So why not call the Muslim faith what it really is? Anti-woman & full of religious nut jobs. They'll kill their own in the name of their religion/religious expectations (run 'em over with a car, poison them, take a hammer to their head) in the US to make a religious point to their FAMILY MEMBERS….wake up….they care about you LESS than they do their own.

How are feminists going to be ok with the separation of women from men, you know, when it hits public schools too, and their little girls aren't good enough to be in the presence of a Muslim little boy? Separate classrooms for the girls who might offend a good Muslim boy? Will the pandering to the Muslim faith stop then, after more bras are burned?

Keep it up liberals, keep thinking Christianity is/has always been your problem instead of looking in the face of what is coming if you can't pull your "but, but, Christian history!" head out of your arse.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:17 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
This sort of stuff is going to lead to a rise of ultra far right, ultra nationalistic and racist neo Nazi type activity. Exactly what Germany loathes. Yet, the politicians set this up! What did they think would happen?! They opened the floodgates to one of the most inferior cultures on the face of the planet. How could they think this would have been a positive in any way, shape, or form for Germans? They are damn near traitorous as far as I'm concerned. And now, those politicians reap the consequences and tuck their tales. They've set the stage for increased conflict, violence, and crime. They are monumental morons! Why would anyone want to to sabotage their own nation!?

Old 01-07-2016, 12:47 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,472,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a good article that deserves its own thread. It starts off with the expectation that Muslim immigrants in the US would leave their religion behind at some point. This is an odd expectation. No other immigrant group that I know of has had that expectation of them from American society. As I said before, Russians and other Orthodox populations have their churches, East Asian Buddhists have their temples, etc., and no one has ever seen anything wrong with that.

The important point is does make is that it was Americans' reaction to Muslim immigrants among them post-9/11 that led the younger generations, some of them US-born, to adopt the hijab and to become closer to their spiritual community, after drifting away! Pre-9/11, according to the article, when Americans were accepting of their Muslim neighbors, or indifferent at worst, the communities were gradually assimilating. Upon suddenly encountering hostility from the dominant society, they drew closer to each other for support and comfort (a natural reaction), and this set the stage for the later radicalization of some.

The article actually supports the argument for tolerance, probably unwittingly. That is a crucial point it makes.
I think the article can be interpreted in many ways I suppose, depending on our own views and/or bias.

America's Muslims Aren't as Assimilated as You Think

I think we can say the same thing about many other ethnic groups and/or groups that practice a certain religion or strong belief and how they were persecuted/discriminated against in this country or anywhere in the world for that matter at some point in their history. Lots of groups that came to the US during the first wave of European immigration had lots of hate thrown at them based on their ethnic background and/or religion....the Irish Catholics were a big one. And if you know the history of the Irish, it was lots of ugly hate thrown towards them. Yet the vast majority chose to assimilate within a generation and didn't dig in even deeper to their way of life/culture/religion no matter how much hate was thrown their way.

On your point of the expectation of any group leaving their religion at some point, I think this is a common path for many who have been in America for a while. While of course some become more religious/retain their religion/pick a new religion, many people within a generation or 2 move away from it or at most practice a "light" version of it. Most Irish I know aren't at all religious Catholics anymore. I know a few people who are Jewish and not only are they not religious but they married outside of their religion so it all means nothing or very little to many, especially today. So I think the author is making a valid point in many people who come to American eventually assimilate and that includes leaving their religion behind often or practice the "light" version of it. It doesn't define them. As for churches and groups that you mention "have their churches", you might find this interesting which further emphasizes my point and the authors:

Millennials leaving church in droves, study says - CNN.com

On the topic of Muslim's and the author's point on what's going on in Europe and America, I think the issue with Muslim's is the radical side that exists that makes lots of headlines around the world that doesn't exist with example groups you used like Orthodox Russians, or Buddhists, etc. that I'm aware of anyways, at least not in large numbers. This is not to say all Muslim's are radical in any way, but you must understand when people around the world see more than a few people lobbing off people's heads, blowing up things/themselves to hurt people, shooting up people, etc. in the name of a religion, no matter how radical it is from the core religion, people are going to be suspicious of all people who affiliate with said religion because they don't know who are the radicals vs the non-radicals. And I think that's where we are today.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:16 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries, improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live. A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement, the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property, either as a child, a wife, or a concubine, must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men. Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the civilization of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilization of ancient Rome."

-Winston Churchill (1899)

Old 01-07-2016, 01:29 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,977 times
So the police were totally overwhelmed with the situation in Köln, so many assaults were happening at the same time they couldn't do a thing. Yet they reported that new years eve passed 'quietly'.

I wouldn't be surprised if the women who filed charges were tried talk out of it a'la "rape is a serious offence, do you really want to testify in court, think, this mark will stay with you forever, maybe this is just teenage hysteria..."

The regressive left would be like: "Did you get satisfaction? You did, well then it's not rape, you should be fined for having sex in public places!"
"You should be happy, you get a baby!"
"You're helping the Fatherland, where the birthrate is zero!"
"You'll get a medal!"
"You'll be the mother of the year!"
"You'll be the refugee friend of the year!"
"You'll get child support!"
"But psychological help you don't get, only a victim is entitled to this, sorry"

Politicians should take the responsibility what happened and will happen in the future, not the animals, because they don't know better, they act out of basic instincts.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:09 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,606,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
This sort of stuff is going to lead to a rise of ultra far right, ultra nationalistic and racist neo Nazi type activity. Exactly what Germany loathes.
this is already happening and not just in Germany, just look at how many Far Right groups and governments have been elected in the last few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies