Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Flint, MI residents pay their water bills?
Yes 8 8.00%
No 92 92.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 12:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
It's documented, not just vague opinion or rumor:

Document: Snyder Admin Trucked In Clean Water for State Building in January 2015 - Progress Michigan

He should be ashamed, and he should resign. So should all his cronies involved in this despicable mess.
So the local city council who is responsible for city water is off the hook? Strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 12:59 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Compared to the $1 billion it's going to cost to fix the problem, $36,500/year is still extremely penny wise and pound foolish. The fact that people knew that the Flint River was unsuitable back in 2011 but yet still did this makes it even worse!
I agree completely, but if you are going to use figures to make your case, they should be the correct ones.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:00 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
This is a very good post and I agree with most of it.

The one point that you missed the mark on is the part I bolded.

That attitude was a direct response to this post:

This post, like so many others on cd, seem to take EVERY issue, and turn it into "the man is still keeping us down".

Your assessment is probably 100% accurate. nowhere in that dramatized version of events did I see "Well Flint is mostly black right? Good. Let's poison them".

Yet that is the mindset portrayed by many on cd time and time again.

I will admit there definitely are some flaming racists on cd that hate every time they can without cause, but sometimes I think you see people just responding to nonsensical cry of "cause they were black" at every turn.
Thanks. I only included that because laying the blame for this on "mostly blacks and leftist" was all over the first page of this thread, and continues to be pervasive with many on the right.

Fixing this shouldn't be a partisan political issue. But assigning responsibility for how it happened sure as heck should be.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:02 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Awful. His attitude was essentially that Flint spent itself into a deficit, and therefore the (mostly black) people of Flint did not deserve clean water. This is some really sick stuff. Rick Snyder needs to do prison time for this.

Yep ,him and a few others . I like to make sure we put them on a slightly different bottled water plan , fresh from Flint.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:39 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So the local city council who is responsible for city water is off the hook? Strange.
That's what you're not getting here...the city council is NOT/was not responsible for the city water and hasn't been since the governor forced a state manager on them who had complete control over all city decisions. That manager is the one who decided not to use a $100 a month treatment on the water for the area and without that treatment the pipes all broke down beyond repair, allowing lead from the pipes into the homes. It was that state appointed manager who helped hide the problem from the population for months and months while protecting himself with a bottled water cooler next to the drinking fountain in his Flint office.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:47 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Is your point; therefore the blacks should suffer?

BTW, was that spending that the 95% black city council did, for infrastructure improvements?
I think that might have been said person's point.

Tlint isn't the only city suffering. Sebring, OH, a town of 4,300 people is having a similar issue. 97.8% White and there is a scare over possible lead contamination in the water.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:54 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Problem continues, now they are finding the water filters aren't capable of filtering out the levels of lead in the water ...

Last edited by florida.bob; 01-30-2016 at 05:13 AM..

Old 01-30-2016, 04:59 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Is there nothing we as a country can agree on anymore? I mean really, children are being poisoned, still, right now and people are trying to turn it into a Republican v. Democrat fight. The attitudes of some that this is all Flints fault and since it's their fault they can fix it.

What happened to our country? We used to be able to put party politics aside and come together to help each other when a community was hit with a public health and safety crisis.

This whole situation is an embarrassment.
Now that the water delivery system is a total mess; why not fix it. A plumber on the news said he knows 200 plumbers he can put to work. Thousands have been laid off in the oil industry; I will bet some of those people can lay pipes. Stop the blame game for now and fix the problem.

Maybe, some genius engineer or someone can turn this disaster into a model city. Our infrastructure in America needs help. The people in Flint need their water clean and safe again.

When we lived in Alaska, the water ran red one time; I was appalled and shocked. Well, sad to say, it was a wounded dear that had gotten into the town's water supply.

Poisoning people and harming children for the rest of their lives, is very serious. Please, just fix it.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:00 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
This post, like so many others on cd, seem to take EVERY issue, and turn it into "the man is still keeping us down".

Your assessment is probably 100% accurate. nowhere in that dramatized version of events did I see "Well Flint is mostly black right? Good. Let's poison them".

Yet that is the mindset portrayed by many on cd time and time again.

I will admit there definitely are some flaming racists on cd that hate every time they can without cause, but sometimes I think you see people just responding to nonsensical cry of "cause they were black" at every turn.
Please. If you really think that a wealthy, white suburb like Grosse Pointe, MI would have been allowed to languish for more than an entire year with no clean water, I've got a bridge in Michigan to sell you...

Old 01-30-2016, 07:02 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
social Darwinsim is a necessity. By not having it people learn to become dependent just like wild animals do when you feed them.
Indeed, when government fails to provide something as basic as water, we can no longer call ourselves "civilized."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies