Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:25 PM

170 posts, read 104,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Did you ever wonder if your grandmother had any dreams of her own? You know, for herself, not related to a husband and kids? Not that it mattered, because as a woman, her life choices were very narrow.
She was happy with what she got. She was VERY active in politics in the community,PTA,etc....only modernized woMEN act like being a mother and wife isn't good enough. Fortunately I got one of the good sane ones.She loves being a mother and wife. She says its the greatest thing in the world to do she truly ENJOYS IT. Love how people of today think women of the past were soooo oppressed. Such nonsense.They are more oppressed today when you really have no choice but to work because it costs so much to make ends meet.

18,391 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator1483 View Post
Obviously he does. My grandmothers did just fine. They didn't WANT to work they WANTED to be mothers and wives,the men WANTED to be husbands and the breadwinner....its when we actually had a REAL society...wish we still had it.Nowadays whether you want to work or not BOTH husband and wife usually have to work to make ends meet....
your grandmother had no other choice but to stay home. even though she managed the money and paid the bills she could not get credit in her own name. she could also be raped by her husband and it wasn't a crime. yeah the 50's were great

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Obviously he does. My grandmothers did just fine. They didn't WANT to work they WANTED to be mothers and wives,the men WANTED to be husbands and the breadwinner....its when we actually had a REAL society...wish we still had it.Nowadays whether you want to work or not BOTH husband and wife usually have to work to make ends meet....
Chances are that was because they had no real options otherwise. You tend to go with the flow when your options are more limited. It was expected women did this, but it doesn't mean they would of had they of had the choice either.

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
In some ways the 1950s were better:
-Much Lower Murder Rate
-More Intact Families
-More National Unity
-More Wholesomeness

In some ways the 1950s weren't that great:
-Cold War Anxiety
-Racial Segregation
-Females Disempowered

Old 01-10-2016, 07:27 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
I grew up then. Life was much better.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:28 PM

170 posts, read 104,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Wow, they had the right to manage the house? Sounds like women back then had it GOOD!
Who said anything about the RIGHT to manage a home? Well no one did except YOU. Thanks for showing your true colors....to people like you women aren't truly "free" unless they are forced to work in the workforce because being a mother and wife isn't real work eh? Such a misogynistic view....disgusting. My grandmothers and my wife's grandmothers were tougher women than ANY woman I know today other than my wife simply because she was raised by tough strong women. They didn't need a MAN telling them they needed to work to be "free"

Old 01-10-2016, 07:28 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
'Women may now feel more comfortable being honest about their true happiness and have thus deflated their previously inflated responses,' they said.

I always take the "happiness polls" with a grain of salt anyway.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:29 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I grew up then. Life was much better.
When Democrats had a super majority in the Legislature and the Presidency.

552 posts, read 314,147 times
Quote:
She was happy with what she got. She was VERY active in politics in the community,PTA,etc....only modernized woMEN act like being a mother and wife isn't good enough. Fortunately I got one of the good sane ones.She loves being a mother and wife. She says its the greatest thing in the world to do she truly ENJOYS IT. Love how people of today think women of the past were soooo oppressed. Such nonsense.They are more oppressed today when you really have no choice but to work because it costs so much to make ends meet.
The leftists hate it when a woman today chooses to be a mother and raise her kids. They even have a derogatory name for it - "stay at home mom" - as if there is something wrong with forgoing a career to teach your children values and the basics of life in the most nurturing environment - a home where the mother is the heart and the father is the head.

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Well, sure, if you grow up in a culture in which the only "career" open to a woman is wife and mother, that's what you believe you should be.

I have a 29 year old daughter, and I remember telling her that when I was growing up, I never dared to dream of being an astronaut or a doctor or lawyer, because there was no such thing for women. She couldn't believe that, because she never had any limits put on her dreams. That was a great day for me, realizing that my generation had opened the way for hers. That's something that a person who has never had such constraint could ever understand.

You don't even believe that your grandmothers ever wanted anything for themselves. The only thing they ever wanted, in your belief, is to take care of a husband and kids and a house. That you can't even imagine that they might have had unrealized dreams for themselves says a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies