Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:02 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
The jobs you mentioned aren't common at all. What percentage of the population works as police officers and firefighters? Less than 1%, I bet. And government jobs, back in the old days, weren't as lucrative and cushy as they are today.

The jobs that were common back in the day were manual labor jobs and do you think women wanted to or were capable of doing those?

As if being a teacher is soooo bad ... My grandman was a teacher, seemed to have loved it, and is receiving pension payments 70+ yrs later ...
you do need to get educated on the subject, your knee jerk, just guess is no where close to the right percentages. 12% of police officers are women some 700,000. we are still underrepresented.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
And yet, there are also a whole slew of women doctors and lawyers and cops and scientists and engineers, and yes, even astronauts these days. As a child in the '60s, any of those were unheard of. It's not so much about what one chooses to do, it's about having the ability to make that choice.
Hey..don't shoot the messenger. The top jobs of the 50's for women are still the top jobs today for women.

Sure it's expanded but not like they were hated jobs. Women still gravitate to them today.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:05 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator1483 View Post
How do you know the guy hung and the one being attacked by the dog didn't commit a crime? Would you rather have it nowadays where murderers sit on death row for 30 years? I think quick and efficient was better.
do you even know American history? get educated about the treatment of blacks in the US before the civil rights era. educate yourself on the civil rights movements and accomplishments and you would make such ill informed statements.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:07 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Such as?

Quoting another poster:

-More Intact Families
-More National Unity
-More Wholesomeness

Add to that abortion wasn't legal, gays couldn't have a traditional marriage, immigrants assimilated into our society, much less illegal immigration, far less national debt, people were working not living off of welfare, most women weren't having babies out of wedlock, etc. I am sure there are many more but these are the ones that come to mind.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:12 PM

170 posts, read 104,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
do you even know American history? get educated about the treatment of blacks in the US before the civil rights era. educate yourself on the civil rights movements and accomplishments and you would make such ill informed statements.
Yes I do. My point stands. How do you know?

Old 01-10-2016, 08:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
that photo of the lynching in Florida was from 1935.

Here's lynching statistics for the 50's.

In 1950 there were 2 lynchings..one White and one Black.

Lynching Statistics by Year

Old 01-10-2016, 08:17 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Quoting another poster:

-More Intact Families
-More National Unity
-More Wholesomeness

Add to that abortion wasn't legal, gays couldn't have a traditional marriage, immigrants assimilated into our society, much less illegal immigration, far less national debt, people were working not living off of welfare, most women weren't having babies out of wedlock, etc. I am sure there are many more but these are the ones that come to mind.
So basically nothing was really better.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:19 PM

65 posts, read 68,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Do you ever wonder what it was like when we had common values, common religion, a real culture?

This is a joke, these pictures is America through the lens of Time Life, or Look magazine. The America of TV, Ozzie, Danny, Jim Anderson, Ricky and countless other prefect dad's and household. TV didn't show the America where I lived. What I find strange is the lack of perspective, this question is ask by every generation. More than anything those picture depict a idolized world of your Twilight Zone fantasy of days gone by. They never show picture of the drunk neighbor next door to my house, the beating kids took back then by abusive moms and dad. Or the always bruise Mrs. Williams and a couple other women in my neighborhood. It wasn't that great back then as a kid either. We lived in fear of a nuclear bomb drop on our heads every day. Or the worry on my parent face that the new neighbor might be different. lol Mama and dad where bigots. I don't even mean blacks, but Jews, Italian, Catholic and anyone deem different and not Baptist. You need to look at it historically and ask that question. And it's easy to see it was never that great for those who lived thorough it. So whenever you're harkening-back to a simpler time, it's all bull crap. Today is what you got now deal with it.

Last edited by biggiE48; 01-10-2016 at 09:16 PM..

Old 01-10-2016, 08:19 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
that photo of the lynching in Florida was from 1935.

Here's lynching statistics for the 50's.

In 1950 there were 2 lynchings..one White and one Black.

Lynching Statistics by Year
I would imagine that a lot of lynchings were never reported or even investigated as such. Chances are the real numbers were always higher for each year out there.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:26 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max340 View Post
I thought that when people turned nostalgic for the time of a real and coherent society it was the 1950s they were thinking about. Truman was president for two years of that decade, but he ended his term with the U.S. mired in a war in Korea. Ike pulled our chestnuts out of the fire and our servicemen and women fought to secure the best result we could out of that debacle.
I am somewhat of a fan of Ike's, but not in regard to Korea. What he left us with in Korea is what led us to where we are now with North Korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies