Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2016, 10:02 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,062,274 times

Advertisements

[quote=phetaroi;42586803]
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post

Natalie, why are you arguing with me. We're actually in agreement!
Oh shoot, sorry

Old 01-10-2016, 10:03 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max340 View Post
The Civil Rights Act that eventually passed in 1964 was sponsored by a Republican. LBJ blocked it in Congress because he didn't want Republicans to get the credit. He is also the guy who said "We will have those n-words voting Democrat for the next 200 years".
Actually, Kennedy called for it in a speech in June of 1963. The Republicans, under Dirksen and Mansfield, wanted to maintain all-White hotels. There was a lot of maneuvering in Congress, as there always is. Kennedy was assassinated and things stalled. Johnson pushed it hard. Ultimately, enough representatives from each party voted for it, although the South remained mired in Jim Crow, and it took northerners of both parties to make it happen.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:06 PM

552 posts, read 314,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
No, the President supported the idea, but he didn't ultimately create the bill. If there wasn't enough Democratic support in committee it would never gotten to the floor. I guess it's possible that the only reason Johnson did that was because a Republican ruled the White House. I guess we will never know at this point, and it's all up to conjecture.
I'm not talking about President Eisenhower, I am talking about the bill's sponsor, Everett Dirksen, a Republican. As for why Johnson blocked it, it is generally accepted that supporting it would tear the racist Democratic party apart. The GOP was and always has been the leader in civil rights. The myth that they haven't has been created by the Dems in an attempt to erase the egg they have on their face for always being on the wrong side of history. That people buy their lies and propaganda so easily is truly a black mark on the face of the country.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:24 PM

170 posts, read 104,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
They love throwing that in.
Do you like the word WELFARE better? Free Stuff is just that. FREE to the parasites taking it. Its no longer a safety net,its a damn lifestyle! That's pathetic.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:25 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max340 View Post
I'm not talking about President Eisenhower, I am talking about the bill's sponsor, Everett Dirksen, a Republican. As for why Johnson blocked it, it is generally accepted that supporting it would tear the racist Democratic party apart. The GOP was and always has been the leader in civil rights. The myth that they haven't has been created by the Dems in an attempt to erase the egg they have on their face for always being on the wrong side of history. That people buy their lies and propaganda so easily is truly a black mark on the face of the country.
Except the the eventual Bill voted on came from the House and not the Senate. It wouldn't of made much sense for him to block a Democratic passed bill to spite the Republican who pushed for a similar bill that didn't pass in the Senate. There are no arguments on your civil rights assertions though. Nearly all civil rights and women's rights legislation was spearheaded by Republicans legislators. Like I said in my other post, the Dems spun it as their victory when the Republicans really passed the bill in overwhelming numbers.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator1483 View Post
Do you like the word WELFARE better? Free Stuff is just that. FREE to the parasites taking it. Its no longer a safety net,its a damn lifestyle! That's pathetic.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:32 PM

170 posts, read 104,857 times
Quote:
Speechless? Thank goodness.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:34 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ah. Well my mother was a woman back then. She worked until she had kids. Stopped until we were all in school and then went back to work.

Office job.

Plenty of women worked, plenty of kids worked too.

My aunts both worked..one for AT&T and the other was a bank manager.

Yeah I don't know what some of the other posters are talking about. My mother graduated high school in 1948. When she wasn't being a stay at home mom she had good jobs that college graduates have trouble getting today. My grandmother also was working starting back in the 1940's and made a very good living and retirement working for the rail road.

Leftist are always lying and rewriting American history with regards to sex and race to paint whites and males negatively. America was 85-90% white 10-15% black and 99% white in most areas from 1620 until 1970 after Congress decided to make America a non-Western and European country.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yeah I don't know what some of the other posters are talking about. My mother graduated high school in 1948. When she wasn't being a stay at home mom she had good jobs that college graduates have trouble getting today. My grandmother also was working starting back in the 1940's and made a very good living and retirement working for the rail road.

Leftist are always lying and rewriting American history with regards to sex and race to paint whites and males negatively. America was 85-90% white 10-15% black and 99% white in most areas from 1620 until 1970 after Congress decided to make America a non-Western and European country.
About 31 percent of women were in the labor force in 1947 and every naysayer in this thread had not one, but several female family members that not only worked full time, but held cushy jobs. Excuse me while I walk back from the growing noses.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:45 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
About 31 percent of women were in the labor force in 1947 and every naysayer in this thread had not one, but several female family members that not only worked full time, but held cushy jobs. Excuse me while I walk back from the growing noses.

You're the one with a growing nose. My mom is 85 and alive and I've asked her extensively about the 1950's. I'll take her eye witness account over leftist lies. I'm much younger, only 40, but I saw the country deteriorate further in the '90s due to mostly leftist policies.

The job market today for people even with college degrees is horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies