Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 11:31 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I grew up in the same 40s/50s time frame and in addition to your list I remember cases of child and spousal abuse that was swept under the carpet as being no one's business. I remember stranger danger type flyers being sent home with school kids because someone was trying to lure kids into a car and a classmate dying in a back alley abortion. I remember whispers about the '*****' couple down the street and the women who had sex with teenagers. On the surface the 50s was an idealized time to grow up for many but the same social issues we have now were still there but they didn't get talked about like they do today, allowing most (but not all) kids to hold on to their innocents longer.
Yes. Americans watched "Father Knows Best" and "Leave It To Beaver", but real life really wasn't like that.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Cohesive, united country rather than a divided one.
May I be frank?

I read all your posts. I see many of them as being pretty divisive as you strongly push the conservative viewpoint. That's okay, but doing so isn't promoting national healing.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:36 AM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes. Americans watched "Father Knows Best" and "Leave It To Beaver", but real life really wasn't like that.
True, especially if you were Black. Having children out of wedlock, divorce, those are decisions of personal responsibility. Laws like Jim Crow, restrictive covenants, Blacks being banned from living in certain areas,etc. Those are not choices. Those were things done to Blacks.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:37 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,421,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator1483 View Post
Maybe as MANY MANY MANY tests and studies have shown SOME races aren't as bright as others....nothing wrong with it just the way nature made each race. Asians are on average the smartest Blacks on average are on the lower end. Don't blame the schools for the black kids doing badly. Ever heard you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink? Same thing. Can "make equal" anything you want but human nature and genetics and iq you CAN'T change with laws and giveaways.
The difference between the 50s and today: Your pseudoscience was mainstream back then, now it is an opinion shared only by people who live on the outskirts of society (extreme right wingers).

For that alone 2016 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 50s

Old 01-11-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'd rather grow up in the old west.

No laws, live off the land, gamble/live it up in town on the weekends with hookers.

That's my idea of wholesomeness.
We have that today. It's called Vegas!

Old 01-11-2016, 11:49 AM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
I don't wonder what the 50s would have been like. I have watched plenty of videos showing that. I know enough to understand that the 50s were not good.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:50 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
My best friend from HS got married after her first year of college. She was a stay at home mom to 2 kids. Her husband only had a HS diploma and worked in the oilfields in TX.

I got a college degree and attended law school. Lived in big cities, made lots of money. Have been married twice, struggle with saving for college and retirement.

All in all, my best friend has had a much happier and successful life in my view. She worked part time when her kids were in HS. Her kids both went to college. She and her husband own their home. They have a pool and a place at a lake a couple hundred miles from their home. She is still in the same town we grew up in and has time to enjoy her life as a wife, mom and grandmother.

She doesn't deal with a daily commute of an hour to and from work each day. Of child support and exorbitant mortgage payments. She has friends from childhood still living in the area, so she has roots and connections.

I bought into the Feminist lie of having it all, and all I have is a great paying job that keeps me away from my family 10 hours a day. No close family or friends to hang out with because nights and weekends are for doing all the chores that are not done during the week. etc., etc.,

I have no idea whether I would make different choices if I had the insight I have today, but I have no problem admitting that my BFF's life is much fuller and more rewarding than my "Cosmopolitan" life turned out to be!!
You chose that life though. You could of done something with the law degree that didn't require any of that. My Dad has a law degree and he never commuted an hour to work. He has close friends, and is home on most weekends. He could of choose to work in firms in D.C. that were further away and had the reality if he wanted to, but he didn't. That has everything to do with personal choices and nothing to do with feminism.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
During slavery? You do realize slavery happened to whites as well..see us whining about it? Nope. We advanced ourselves and took charge of our lives.
I knew it was only a matter of time before we saw that old chestnut. "You know _______ <----fill in privileged group here were slaves too!" No kidding, every group has likely been a slave at some point. Doesn't change the fact that black people dominated that field in America.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
How is truth and facts racist. You realize you just showed the problem. NOTHING is anyone's fault its all someone else's fault. The only problem is people trying to create equality when it can't be done. LAWS can't make IQ's equal...its that simple. No one's fault its just natures way of doing things.Not all animals are equal are they? Some animals kill and eat others. There is always someone at the top of the food chain and someone at the bottom.
Humans are the same species though, most of those animals are not. Given equal educational opportunities humans will flourish within varying degrees. IQ has been shown to move up as people become more education. It's not linked to racial components. Saying that one group of people is inherently flawed due to their skin pigmentation is the definition of prejudice. All people are not equal, and some will certainly thrive more than others. That has to do more genetics and opportunity than anything though.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:00 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The difference between the 50s and today: Your pseudoscience was mainstream back then, now it is an opinion shared only by people who live on the outskirts of society (extreme right wingers).

For that alone 2016 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 50s
Very few American white women want someone with such backwards views. I'm guessing he's probably a Stormfront poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Looking at this in a personal light, this is a major question. Why should I strive for those "good old days", the 50's? Knowing what I know about the 50's, and being a Black male, why should I strive for the 50s? What do I have to gain that I don't have now? I have a job, a college degree, I can vote, live where I want, eat where I want, date any woman I choose, basically, the same as anyone else. Why would I want the 50s when I consider all of the restrictions on ky lige as a Black man in America?
Ever wonder why, literally, 99% of people who want to turn the clock back to 1950 are white males, the other 1% suffering from Stockholm Syndrome from their bullying white husband and minorities (like a certain Hispanic-in-denial on this thread with a white wife)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies