Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 01:04 PM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times

Advertisements

I was born in 1948. I well remember life in the 50's and early 60's, especially for women, as others have said. I will add another group: gay people. I grew up in Greenwich Village and went to school down the street from the Stonewall. The pre-teen boys in my school to prove their "manhood" would go out on a Saturday night and beat up gay men. The Stonewall back then painted their windows black so the police would not raid them. You want to go back to those days?

A few of us heard some boys from school bragging how they had beat up the "****". We told the principal of the school who called the police, and expelled them. Where did they get this from? Their PARENTS. You want to go back to those days????

I had a BF who came to our school from South Carolina. She was Black and I am White. Just two girls enjoying each other's company and mutual interests. We had eggs thrown at us once from other kids and were constantly taunted "stick to your own kind". Let me remind you all this was in NYC. You want to go back to THOSE days?????

No, I would not want to go back to those days having lived through those days.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:12 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This is a true story of one Chicago neighborhood over 50 years. Of course not everyone had a baker's dozen in the 50's and not everyone lives like the current occupants of this city lot. Most folk would probaby choose to not do without to the extent that a majority did, back when.

Your story does fall to extremes. I was not alive in the fifties but my parents lived in the same town from the fifties on. Most people had two or three kids, some had none. "Spinsters" lived across the street, they owned a bakery. It was not tract housing, but it had a suburban feel. The seventies there felt very fifties, but more socially liberal because of gains made in the sixties. Some moms worked full time, many part time, but it was by choice. You could still live on one middle class income. Families had two cars, a "rec room", content in their fifties homes, just finished off the basement to add space. Streets were very safe. No panhandlers. Two homeless people in the next city, we knew their names, merchants helped feed and clothe them, otherwise left them alone.

My parents said things hadn't changed much at all, until the 80s.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:13 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I was born in 1948. I well remember life in the 50's and early 60's, especially for women, as others have said. I will add another group: gay people. I grew up in Greenwich Village and went to school down the street from the Stonewall. The pre-teen boys in my school to prove their "manhood" would go out on a Saturday night and beat up gay men. The Stonewall back then painted their windows black so the police would not raid them. You want to go back to those days?

A few of us heard some boys from school bragging how they had beat up the "****". We told the principal of the school who called the police, and expelled them. Where did they get this from? Their PARENTS. You want to go back to those days????

I had a BF who came to our school from South Carolina. She was Black and I am White. Just two girls enjoying each other's company and mutual interests. We had eggs thrown at us once from other kids and were constantly taunted "stick to your own kind". Let me remind you all this was in NYC. You want to go back to THOSE days?????

No, I would not want to go back to those days having lived through those days.
Are you trying to say that Gay people didn't have it GOOD in the 50's?

Old 01-11-2016, 01:33 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,841,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
If I had been a woman in the '50s those would have been my choices. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

And what is wrong with either of those choices?

Old 01-11-2016, 01:35 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
This is about having MORE choices in life. How hard is that to understand?

Old 01-11-2016, 01:37 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Nothing at all. Except that those would have been my ONLY choices.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Me to and I grew up when those things were the norm. The transformation that has happened to this country is disgusting. It all started when Teddy Kennedy open the floodgates to every third world person that could get here. Today, was the icing on the cake. I was playing poker today and was surrounded by some Asians all talking very loudly, laughing constantly about nothing and repeating everything they said over and over. Then they started to fight loudly with one another and then with the dealer. Is this a cultural thing? They were irritating everyone else at the table. Myself and a couple of others just up and left.
Sorry, I know there is a Mary Jo Kopechne pun in there somewhere.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
At no point in the 1950s did the Democrats have a super majority in the legislature and the presidency - not even under Truman. BAM!
And Hollywood was not the arm of the Democrat party that it is today, either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a6YdNmK77k

Old 01-11-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I have no problem with what job a woman might want to do even if it is the same as it was in the 1950s. the point is. now a woman can do and does a whole lot more jobs now then she was ever allowed to do in the 50s. that is fact.
And yet, the is, now with this vast array of career choices women have today, they are less happy than they were back in the 50's.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:44 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
And yet, the is, now with this vast array of career choices women have today, they are less happy than they were back in the 50's.
Maybe more women are more likely to admit their unhappiness today as opposed to the 50's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.