Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 07:13 AM

876 posts, read 1,001,860 times

Advertisements

I hate it how progressives and liberals often tell us that people are just all completely dumb and that the state needs to take care of them. But lately I have been wondering if perhaps there is a little (a little) bit of truth to this.

A great example is the rise in obesity in the west and the apparent inability of most people to give even a single **** about what they are eating, or how much of it they eat. Let alone exercise. Now don't get me wrong, if people are ok with being big and fat if it means they can eat what they want then that is fine (unless they are parents and they make their kids obese as well). Whatever floats their boat.

But that isn't what I am talking about here. I am talking about people who are just totally ignorant about what kind of filth they are eating and see no problem with eating 2 hamburgers every lunch. And then once they finally realize they have a problem, instead of just eating less crap and more healthy food, in addition to exercising a bit, they just moan about how they have some kind of "condition" that prevents them from losing any weight. Or they look for cheap "lose weight instantly" gimmicks that don't work. Or they start going to the gym and diet for a couple of weeks before just giving up and start crying about how it made no difference, even though they were only there for half a month or may not have fallowed the program correctly.

I mean ok, I know this doesn't apply to EVERYONE. But there is a shocking amount of people that are like this. I won't pretend I am innocent, I have eaten my share of crap food. But I wised up after a while and even in the past there was still a limit to how much I would eat.

I would probably be less resentful of these people if it weren't for the fact that they are constantly moaning and acting as if their lame condition wasn't their own fault. One of my coworkers is a really fat dude who a number of times has just left work only a couple of hours after showing up because of an "upset stomach", and also tends to be lazy as well in that he sometimes looks for excuses to not properly take care of the work that is given to him. It also doesn't help that he is a easily hurt manchild.

But I think I have perhaps ventured a bit past my original topic question: Are most people just too stupid and/or weak-minded to live a smart, responsible and a healthy life? Note that I am not counting people who KNOW they are living very poorly but understand the end-result and are fine with it as stupid. But rather, all of the dumbasses who think they can get away with anything and then are shocked when that turns out to not be true and instantly start to blame someone or something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 07:42 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
But I think I have perhaps ventured a bit past my original topic question: Are most people just too stupid and/or weak-minded to live a smart, responsible and a healthy life?
Here we go, another beat-up-on-fat-people thread, under the guise of "the epidemic of obesity." Time to load up the mindless venom and have a go at the fatties. Stupid and weak-minded...maybe we should put them in camps, you know, tuck them away so the rest of us don't have to be offended. Revoke their driving licenses...make those fat bastards walk wherever they go. I'm sure there will more great ideas.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:58 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,393,204 times
I missed the point about obesity making it OK for the government to control our lives. People make mistakes not just about diet or exercise or spouses or career paths or drugs or alcohol. Mistakes are going to happen and that does not mean we need a nanny government to tell us what to do -- even if our mistakes hurt us in the long run.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:03 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
A relative of mine told me many years ago, that to keep people under control, you only need to keep their bellies full.

Then, in High School, I was introduced to Cassius, of whom Caesar said, "He has that lean and hungry look; such men are dangerous."

Then, sure enough, he stabbed Caesar right in the Forum, and brought the blade up right just short of Anthony's speech.

I say CONSPIRACY!

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 01-11-2016 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-11-2016, 08:15 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,351 times
What the government has been telling us to eat for the past few decades is what made us fat. Carbohydrate-dense foods like bread, pasta, cereals, starches and sugars are the foundation of the American diet, and its what is making us fat. Added sugar is in a staggering amount of our foods. Even some meat has added sugar or grain-based fillers in it. Chicken nuggets are more bread than chicken.

When did obesity really start to get out of hand in the US? It was with the rise of low-fat diets. We replaced satiating fat with quickly-burned sugar in so many of our 'diet' foods, which just set the stage for the rapid increase in obesity in the US.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:18 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
The US people are the fattest in the world.

US healthcare is the most expensive in the world.

Think there might be a connection between an acute lack of personal responsibility and health problems and costs?

Overweight people are substantially more vulnerable to Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Stroke, Diabetes 2 and some Cancers.

Imagine if healthcare premiums and costs were based on waist size. Imagine if the only way one could be eligible for Medicaid or Medicare or VA or ... was their waist size. Would this be enough to motivate the masses to drop the lbs?

If so, the demand for healthcare would substantially decline. When the demand declines, prices decline.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:30 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
What the government has been telling us to eat for the past few decades is what made us fat. Carbohydrate-dense foods like bread, pasta, cereals, starches and sugars are the foundation of the American diet, and its what is making us fat. Added sugar is in a staggering amount of our foods. Even some meat has added sugar or grain-based fillers in it. Chicken nuggets are more bread than chicken.

When did obesity really start to get out of hand in the US? It was with the rise of low-fat diets. We replaced satiating fat with quickly-burned sugar in so many of our 'diet' foods, which just set the stage for the rapid increase in obesity in the US.
Proliferation of cheap food.

Local market has Kraft Mac and Cheese on sale this week for .59.
Soda ( my personal downfall) is 4 cases/$10, must buy 4.
Burger King is offering a Whopper BOGO.
Mc Donalds introduced a 2 for $2 menu.
All you can eat buffets proliferate.
TGIF and Olive Garden mails BOGO entree coupons.
Little Caesars ( and other national pizza pie chains) routinely offer $5 pizza or BOGO.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:51 AM

45,233 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Just think if people were responsible for their own choices

Old 01-11-2016, 10:01 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Proliferation of cheap food.

Local market has Kraft Mac and Cheese on sale this week for .59.
Soda ( my personal downfall) is 4 cases/$10, must buy 4.
Burger King is offering a Whopper BOGO.
Mc Donalds introduced a 2 for $2 menu.
All you can eat buffets proliferate.
TGIF and Olive Garden mails BOGO entree coupons.
Little Caesars ( and other national pizza pie chains) routinely offer $5 pizza or BOGO.
How can you even think about eating over processed macaroni and cheese out of a box?
Why *must* you buy 4 cases of pop? You are not allowed to drink anything else?
Burger King/McDonald's/TGIF/Olive Garden/Little Caesars, all fast food crap.
Your choice to stay out of buffet or limit the amount of food you eat while at a buffet.
The foods in your home would kill me in less than a month.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:37 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,229,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The US people are the fattest in the world.
Hey, Mexico took that title from us years ago.

We can all laugh at fat Mexicans now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies