Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 09:04 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
So you're saying when he released his tax documents they were falsified?

I don't think so.
The lie is that he is entitled to different tax breaks than you are. Your capital gains are taxed at the same rate as is, as is your income. The difference is that he has more of one, and you have more of another.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:25 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
The lie is that he is entitled to different tax breaks than you are. Your capital gains are taxed at the same rate as is, as is your income. The difference is that he has more of one, and you have more of another.
In fact a middle class persons capital gains usually are taxed at 0 percent. If not maybe 10%. I think the capital gains rate for married filing joint with taxable income less than around $75,000 is 0.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:58 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,362,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
There is no lie because I have no capital gains, just earned income.

So try again.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:02 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
First off, for clarity, we don't live in a democracy but a representative republic-there are specific differences. I can assure you that I am far from being obtuse or willfully ignorant (I always liked that word-obtuse). Understand that I don't necessarily disagree with your statement about control and influence being exercised by the .001%, it has ALWAYS been that way and nothing you or i can say or do that is going to change that. However, my point is and has been, I doubt that the evil .001 percenters have done anything to prevent you or others from being successful. If you can think of a specific instance perhaps you can change my mind. You see, I grew up poor but found a way to go to college and get degrees in economics, business and electrical engineering. My friends were also poor and made different choices-and as a result they are still poor and find themselves depending on the Powerball for their retirement program. Over the last 30 years I was able to build 3 successful businesses in different sectors of the economy. Funny thing is, those in the 001% didn't even care one way or the other.
So you acknowledge the corruption but think it's ok because in your opinion "nothing can be done".

I live very comfortably and grew up very modestly. My Grandparents even came to this country with nothing. But you are wrong in saying that the corruption has ALWAYS been this bad. It has been a progression, but it is worse today than it ever has been.

Personal anecdotes are meaningless, when the incomes for 90% of the American population have been in decline or stagnation. This is during a time when unprecedented money has been created out of thin air by the Fed and given to the richest and most powerful in society by the TRILLIONS via corporate bailouts and quantitative easing. Why should we not care about that UNEARNED money, which has been very detrimental to the population and economy at large?

And it is not even about being moral or just, or even helping those that need help anymore. The financial corruption and Fed policies are hurting our economy-which is VERY MUCH consumer based. It is hurting our national sovereignty, as we allow Politicians to support nationless banks and corporations on their goal to global economic hegemony, and desertion of the American people.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmith713 View Post
I'm sure the Clintons share the same tax rate as Romney, lets not try and pretend that folks in both political parties do these things.
Oh I agree. It's ridiculous that anyone with that much money pays so little as far as percentage goes towards taxes.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
His rates weren't falsified. The media is too stupid to know the difference between marginal and effective rates.

High Income Households Paid an Effective Tax Rate 16 times Higher than Low Income Households in 2010 | Tax Foundation
And I'm right in the middle, I'm not high but I'm not low and my tax rate as far as percentage paid in goes is higher than his.

If you think it's ok for the middle class to carry a heavier burden than the ultra wealthy then so be it, but I'm not ok with it.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:37 AM

1,431 posts, read 913,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
If you don't realize things are going wrong, you have a problem.

Also, many rich people are rich because of crimes and immoral actions such as tax evasion.

Nobody on earth deserves to own hundreds of millions let alone billions of dollars or euros, not a single person, no matter what their work is.
Lol. Jealously at its finest. This is sad.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
If you think it's ok for the middle class to carry a heavier burden than the ultra wealthy then so be it, but I'm not ok with it.
Let's see here, the top 5% of earners pay 57% of all income taxes and the top 1% pay 35% of all income taxes, and you feel they aren't carrying a heavier burden?

I really need to see your math on this.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:48 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let's see here, the top 5% of earners pay 57% of all income taxes and the top 1% pay 35% of all income taxes, and you feel they aren't carrying a heavier burden?

I really need to see your math on this.

The poster is talking about effective tax rates for individuals. It's really not that hard to understand.

To try to simplify further, why should a Billionaire pay ~20% of his income in taxes while someone earning $100,000 pays ~30%?

Old 01-19-2016, 12:15 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
The poster is talking about effective tax rates for individuals. It's really not that hard to understand.

To try to simplify further, why should a Billionaire pay ~20% of his income in taxes while someone earning $100,000 pays ~30%?
Sorry, but it's the 1% who are carrying the heaviest burden at 35% of all federal income taxes.

Additionally, are you claiming that billionaires pay a lower capital gains tax than what a middle class person pays in capital gains tax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies