Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2016, 11:04 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,876,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
This is also a factor

Bill Gates doesn't have many children but some folks in Africa have

I have a topic in Great Debates section about overpopulation and this came there as well.

A control mechanism of poor population would definitely help
Flood the poor with wealth?

Old 01-18-2016, 11:09 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Flood the poor with wealth?
No just allow them to have one kid

If they get wealthier then allow more.

You would see poverty massively declining.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:12 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
No just allow them to have one kid

If they get wealthier then allow more.

You would see poverty massively declining.
And who would do the allowing and sanctioning in the case of a violation?
I mean, the one-child policy has already caused quite some damage in China. And since Africans are also very conservative people, they would also prefer their only child to be male.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:25 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
And who would do the allowing and sanctioning in the case of a violation?
I mean, the one-child policy has already caused quite some damage in China. And since Africans are also very conservative people, they would also prefer their only child to be male.
Yes unfortunately the issues you mentioned will pop up

China did wrong cause frankly i wouldn't impose a child limit on middle class and rich.

They can have as many babies as they wish

Old 01-18-2016, 11:41 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I agree with you in America anyone with normal intelligence and an able body can work themselves out of true poverty. If you happen to be born in a ghetto in Nigeria that may not be true.
i think even in nigeria one could work their way out of poverty, but i will grant that the task would be far more difficult to achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
It would stand to reason that someone who has been studying economics for the majority of his life knows more than you or I about economics. That would be a logical conclusion. The guy (if you looked him up) has been involved in economics quite heavily across the board. Even without the award it's clear that he's spent his adult life working in economics and studying to understand it better.
the problem with most economists that make the claims this guy did, is that they constantly use a static economic model, rather than a dynamic one. and the reason is simple because it makes the math and conclusions easier for everyone. it is also easier to mislead those that prefer to let others do their thinking for them.

Quote:
You have to have money to make money in this country. The idea that one can always get enough money to start on that path is completely unrealistic.
that depends on where you start, and how much sweat equity you are willing to put into the effort of making money. for instance there is a company here in tucson that has three retail food outlets. the owner however started with one hot dog cart, selling basically one product at the side of the road, and built up from there. and he did it since 1993. in fact they are opening a restaurant in phoenix very soon as well. and he wasnt rich when he started his hog dog cart either, he made himself that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You are missing the point. This isn't about knowledge of economics. It's about cognitive dissonance. When Nobel Prize winning economists contradicts rbohm's entire ideology, it creates psychological discomfort. rbohm can address that either by changes his views to correspond with facts; or, dismiss the facts and stick with his long-held ideology. We see what he chose when he questions whether someone who won a nobel prize knows more about how economies work than everyone else. It's essentially, 'I know what I know and nobody is going to change that.'
so now you are some kind of psychoanalyst? most of the people like this economist you are defending make the same mistake because it makes the math easy, and it makes it easier to deceive the massas that dont want to think for themselves, and that is to use a static economic model, rather than a dynamic one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Don't count other people's money.

How do you suppose these very wealthy people acquired, maintained, and advanced thier wealth?

Life is not a zero sum game. If one is wealthy, that does not mean that someone else must be poor.
exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
One out of the whole bunch probably did it legally, morally correct, and honestly-- GROW up and smell the cafe!! Even if they think they doing it the right way- they so high up at the top they have NO idea what their investment are doing. JUST like Trumpy - he has many, but many illegals working for him-- but he is too high on the mountain to smell the stench of the paupers in the valley-- give me e BREAK Steve JOB was an intelligent man- but public money got him started the rules are fixed so we the taxpayers who funded his Co get ZERO back - and HE makes his shyts in China with slaves-- please go sell the Washington bridge to another ignoramus
so then every business owner/operator is essentially a criminal in your myopic little mind because you said so? you claim trump has illegals working for him, but you dont know that unless you have checked into his companies, have you? or are you just making accusations because you can?

and by the way, incease you didnt know, steve jobs is DEAD so he cant have his products made in china, the current owners of the company are. but again, so what? business will do what business needs to do to stay in business. if you dont like it, then buy the business, and make the changes as you see fit. and by the way, business is also going to use the laws in any country to do what it has to do to stay in business. again if you dont like it, work to change the laws, or would you rather leave things alone so you have something to complain about?

Quote:
Many taxpayers can't even afford Apple products.
and yet apple products are selling in large numbers daily. and far too many people are going into debt buying the damn things.

too many people cant afford to buy a new car either, and that is why we have 84 month car loans. and many of those people decide that after two or three years they dont like their car, so they trade them in, even though they still own huge amounts of money on them, and the dealer is more than happy to roll over the excess owed on the car into the new loan package. so lets say you own $30,000 on your current ride, but it is only worth say $25,000. that means you are underwater by $5,000. you are looking to get a new car, and the price on that is say $40,000. the dealer will roll the $5,000 you are underwater into your new car loan, which means you start off $5,000 underwater on your new car.

is that a smart way to go? no it isnt, but it happens everyday, and no one blinks an eye, they just accept it. well stupid is as stupid does.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:44 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,702 times
Quote:
Btw, someone said that the gap becomes wider because the poor are reproducing like rabbits.
In that link it says that the change takes place on both sides, the rich become richer and richer, and the poor poorer and poorer.

Just 62 people own as much wealth as half the world

"The wealth of those 62 one-percenters has risen by more than half-a-trillion dollars in the last five years, the report said. At the same time, the total owned by the poorest half has fallen by a trillion dollars.

In monetary terms, that club of 62 has seen its riches climb by $542 billion, or 44%, to $1.76 trillion since 2010. That’s as the less-fortunate half has seen its wealth slide by 41%."
Their riches climbed by $542B since 2010 to be fair how much did it fall when the market crashed in 2008-2009?

Old 01-18-2016, 12:02 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Yes unfortunately the issues you mentioned will pop up

China did wrong cause frankly i wouldn't impose a child limit on middle class and rich.

They can have as many babies as they wish
That makes it even harder because most countries have laws according to which all citizens enjoy the same rights.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:24 PM

674 posts, read 611,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and yet apple products are selling in large numbers daily. and far too many people are going into debt buying the damn things.

too many people cant afford to buy a new car either, and that is why we have 84 month car loans. and many of those people decide that after two or three years they dont like their car, so they trade them in, even though they still own huge amounts of money on them, and the dealer is more than happy to roll over the excess owed on the car into the new loan package. so lets say you own $30,000 on your current ride, but it is only worth say $25,000. that means you are underwater by $5,000. you are looking to get a new car, and the price on that is say $40,000. the dealer will roll the $5,000 you are underwater into your new car loan, which means you start off $5,000 underwater on your new car.

is that a smart way to go? no it isnt, but it happens everyday, and no one blinks an eye, they just accept it. well stupid is as stupid does.

I think this kind of thing plays a role.

The window for getting into the middle or upper-middle class can close somewhat early on in life, but the trapdoor down to the lower class is always there waiting for people who make really bad financial decisions.

I can guarantee that I make a lot more money than most people who buy Apple computers, many of whom are underemployed recent college graduates who use them as conspicuous consumption to impress their friends. That's... not a good economic practice. I make more money than they do because I have a nice, adult job. However, I do not consider them to be something I can afford.

That's still relative, though, because I do need a laptop. However, there's basically nothing my refurbished $250 laptop can't do that someone's $1200 Apple laptop can.

This sort of thing definitely became a mark of conspicuous consumption for people too young and poor to do the same with their cars. I remember people constantly asking me for details about my laptop computer back when I was a student. I had no idea. I had to look on the side to know what brand it was. I did know exactly what flavor of Linux I was running on it, but no one ever wanted to talk about that. They just wanted to see the label on the side of the box.

Still, if it's just something you get once every few years, burning a few thousand dollars on a nice computer isn't a huge deal.

But cars... wow, what a lousy investment.

I've known people who made $40,000 per year who were convinced that they just couldn't be seen in public in anything less fancy than a Lexus. I drive a Corolla. My boss, who owns multiple houses, decided to splurge on a car; he drives a Camry.

I don't want to be one of those people who insist that financing a car is never the right move, but financing all of it and then turning around and trading it in before you get any value out of it seems kind of silly to me. How is it possible to owe $30k on a car loan you've been paying down for three years?

While I can see the appeal of getting a nicer car (hey, most people spend hundreds of hours in their cars each year), I don't see how the difference between a good-but-still-kind-of-affordable car and a fancy label is worth a significant fraction of a down payment on a house (or a condo, for our friend making $40k).

Some of these same people who make $40k per year then regularly order $20 lunches. I've known some people who made minimum wage but then dropped a hundred or more on alcohol every weekend. I've known unemployed people who complained endlessly about their parents' financial strain but who refused to look for work, instead sitting at home and playing video games all the time.

I guess a lot of people prefer looking rich to other people over feeling rich when looking at your bank account balance. I don't quite get it. I'm sure I'd get a rush from owning luxury goods once in a while, but I've been poor before. I know what it's like to have to check your account balance before paying a bill. I know what it's like to have to plan your bill paying schedule around when your money arrives. I know what it's like to have to count the price of your groceries to make sure you have enough left to cover rent.

And it's not fun. You know what is fun? Not having to think about money! Having a lifestyle that allows you to put your bills on autopay (including your 401k contribution) and then sitting back and watching your accounts move in the right direction induces far less stress. The first step in toward a life like that is cutting out the junk that wastes thousands of dollars for no reason.

I don't want to try to say that poor people don't deserve to enjoy anything in life. Far from that. But geez, have some self control!

I know we're programmed (by our televisions, mostly) to want expensive things, but it's not that difficult to get just as much joy out of life while eschewing wasteful spending. For a lot of people, that can be the difference between whether or not one can save a few dollars, buy a house, and climb out of poverty. It can be the difference between whether or not someone has enough to get by when a job vanishes suddenly.

And yet, so many people can't seem to manage it. The allure of the cleverly marketed luxury car and the slick personal electronic toys is just too much. It's enough to overcome any instict to act in the interest of one's own security and peace of mind.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
I think this kind of thing plays a role.

The window for getting into the middle or upper-middle class can close somewhat early on in life, but the trapdoor down to the lower class is always there waiting for people who make really bad financial decisions.

I can guarantee that I make a lot more money than most people who buy Apple computers, many of whom are underemployed recent college graduates who use them as conspicuous consumption to impress their friends. That's... not a good economic practice. I make more money than they do because I have a nice, adult job. However, I do not consider them to be something I can afford.

That's still relative, though, because I do need a laptop. However, there's basically nothing my refurbished $250 laptop can't do that someone's $1200 Apple laptop can.

This sort of thing definitely became a mark of conspicuous consumption for people too young and poor to do the same with their cars. I remember people constantly asking me for details about my laptop computer back when I was a student. I had no idea. I had to look on the side to know what brand it was. I did know exactly what flavor of Linux I was running on it, but no one ever wanted to talk about that. They just wanted to see the label on the side of the box.

Still, if it's just something you get once every few years, burning a few thousand dollars on a nice computer isn't a huge deal.

But cars... wow, what a lousy investment.

I've known people who made $40,000 per year who were convinced that they just couldn't be seen in public in anything less fancy than a Lexus. I drive a Corolla. My boss, who owns multiple houses, decided to splurge on a car; he drives a Camry.

I don't want to be one of those people who insist that financing a car is never the right move, but financing all of it and then turning around and trading it in before you get any value out of it seems kind of silly to me. How is it possible to owe $30k on a car loan you've been paying down for three years?

While I can see the appeal of getting a nicer car (hey, most people spend hundreds of hours in their cars each year), I don't see how the difference between a good-but-still-kind-of-affordable car and a fancy label is worth a significant fraction of a down payment on a house (or a condo, for our friend making $40k).

Some of these same people who make $40k per year then regularly order $20 lunches. I've known some people who made minimum wage but then dropped a hundred or more on alcohol every weekend. I've known unemployed people who complained endlessly about their parents' financial strain but who refused to look for work, instead sitting at home and playing video games all the time.

I guess a lot of people prefer looking rich to other people over feeling rich when looking at your bank account balance. I don't quite get it. I'm sure I'd get a rush from owning luxury goods once in a while, but I've been poor before. I know what it's like to have to check your account balance before paying a bill. I know what it's like to have to plan your bill paying schedule around when your money arrives. I know what it's like to have to count the price of your groceries to make sure you have enough left to cover rent.

And it's not fun. You know what is fun? Not having to think about money! Having a lifestyle that allows you to put your bills on autopay (including your 401k contribution) and then sitting back and watching your accounts move in the right direction induces far less stress. The first step in toward a life like that is cutting out the junk that wastes thousands of dollars for no reason.

I don't want to try to say that poor people don't deserve to enjoy anything in life. Far from that. But geez, have some self control!

I know we're programmed (by our televisions, mostly) to want expensive things, but it's not that difficult to get just as much joy out of life while eschewing wasteful spending. For a lot of people, that can be the difference between whether or not one can save a few dollars, buy a house, and climb out of poverty. It can be the difference between whether or not someone has enough to get by when a job vanishes suddenly.

And yet, so many people can't seem to manage it. The allure of the cleverly marketed luxury car and the slick personal electronic toys is just too much. It's enough to overcome any instict to act in the interest of one's own security and peace of mind.
sorry i cant rep you for this post, so these will have to do

Old 01-18-2016, 12:49 PM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
It is an interesting dynamic. Poor people who buy luxury name brands and brag about them to people who can better afford them but choose not to buy them. What do they mean to accomplish? They are not impressing the wealthier person by showing off their lack of self control and reckless spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies