Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 10:19 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times

Advertisements

Man some real high quality individuals, anti-government, anti-semites, anti-Muslim, just peaceful occupiers.

"The BLM became a target of their anger in Oregon, according to an FBI affidavit unsealed as part of the criminal charges.

One local BLM employee said Jon Ritzheimer, an anti-Muslim activist involved in the occupation, and another man accosted her in a grocery store for wearing a BLM shirt.
“When she turned around, the second individual shouted, ‘You're BLM, you're BLM,' at her,” FBI Agent Katherine Armstrong wrote in the affidavit.
That person further stated to [the BLM employee] that they know what car she drives and would follow her home. He also stated he was going to burn [her] house down.”

Three more arrests at Oregon refuge as some holdouts leave voluntarily - LA Times

Last edited by Goodnight; 01-28-2016 at 10:47 AM..

Old 01-28-2016, 10:20 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
Actually, the feds make payments to counties called 'payment in lieu of taxes' to offset this. I would be fine with the BLM raising grazing rates to market value and using the income from this to increase the payments to counties and to help maintain and restore the damage done to the land by cattle. Somehow I don't think ranchers would agree with my plan though.....
That is only true when money is earned off that land (thought activities like mining, logging and yes, grazing fees). My area has been hit hard. There used to be significant forest management on the ~65% of the state that is owned by the federal government (about 22 million acres of National Forest that is purposed to be managed for multiple use, plus BLM land). And when that occurred, the counties and state did get some PLIT payments that offset some of the loss of tax revenue. Equally counties got tax revenue from the people working in the woods and from the processors of timber. Today, timber harvest (and PLIT) is virtually eliminated on federal lands. The only thing that's going up...is our timber. In smoke due to wildfires due to the lack of management.

Many rural counties are hit hard by deadbeat landowners that pay no taxes. And when many counties have more than 85% of their property owned by the federal government it cripples counties when there is nothing being done with that property. Well, except letting it burn.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:25 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
And today they are crying "we just want to go home" and "we were only camping".

What clowns. They expect to hold federal property hostage for almost a month and walk away with no legal repercussions?
They expect to post videos of themselves damaging property and walk away?

So much for the whole personal responsibility thing.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:33 AM

677 posts, read 653,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

What clowns. They expect to hold federal property hostage for almost a month and walk away with no legal repercussions?

Does that surprise you really though? Typical teabagger/sovereign citizen BS ...

Old 01-28-2016, 10:35 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:

They did a lot of damage to that refuge. Yesterday they spent hours digging a trench with a back hoe. They've broken into government computers, ripped out fences, tore down security cameras, to say nothing of the amount of money it has cost in LE for the county.

Supposedly, many of these heroes got so rattled when their leaders were arrested that they fled the refuge leaving their guns behind. Yeah, real tough guys, all right. I'm not surprised those who remain are whining like little girls now.

No pass for them. They're going to prison for a good, long time. And as the charges are felonies, none of them will ever be able to legally own a firearm again.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:44 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
They did a lot of damage to that refuge. Yesterday they spent hours digging a trench with a back hoe. They've broken into government computers, ripped out fences, tore down security cameras, to say nothing of the amount of money it has cost in LE for the county.

Supposedly, many of these heroes got so rattled when their leaders were arrested that they fled the refuge leaving their guns behind. Yeah, real tough guys, all right. I'm not surprised those who remain are whining like little girls now.

No pass for them. They're going to prison for a good, long time. And as the charges are felonies, none of them will ever be able to legally own a firearm again.
Pretty much. They were thoughtful enough to record their own faces and their own actions, so LE doesn't have to go to the trouble.

Whatever you think about their motives, they are just plain dumb.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:47 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Pretty much. They were thoughtful enough to record their own faces and their own actions, so LE doesn't have to go to the trouble.

Whatever you think about their motives, they are just plain dumb.
I never understood that. They rip down cameras because the government is watching, then they livestream everything they do.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 AM

677 posts, read 653,619 times
Quote:
I never understood that. They rip down cameras because the government is watching, then they livestream everything they do.
Well you aren't exactly talking about candidates for mensa when you are dealing with teabaggers like this.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:51 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
Well you aren't exactly talking about candidates for mensa when you are dealing with teabaggers like this.
I think I would label them sovereign citizens rather than teabaggers, although it wouldn't surprise me if there is some overlap between the two.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:53 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yesterday they spent hours digging a trench with a back hoe.
Did anyone ever figure out what that was all about, btw.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies