Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 05:02 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I followed Fry's FB for a week or two and was surprised at how many of his personal friends and the groups' supporters urged him to quit posting status reports and photos/videos that showed what were clearly illegal acts. Often they would point out these were felonies and they cited the specific laws.

He always brushed them off. He seemed to think he and others there were somehow magically exempt from consequences. Also he seemed so caught up in what he was doing (being the groups defacto journalist/historian) that he was getting a real rush from it. I didn't find his reaction surprising, rather I think it's how people feel while engaging in illegal acts.
His attitude now seems to be that everyone should understand that he's "over" all that law-breaking stuff and just wants to put it behind him.
These guys are very delusional so it's a challenge to even to attempt to get into their mind set however I think you may have a point here.

“This will be a wake up call to America" so said Cliven Bundy, the patriarchal figure to these Civil War reenactors/hobbyists/God-knows-what else posers.

& these misguided misfit militia boys probably believed him. 'A sucker is born every minute' & all that.

Then one of these poor suckers gets shot & killed after expressing death wish after death wish from day one of this unfortunately still ongoing fiasco.

Rather than being a 'wake up call to America' apparently it's a REALITY CHECK for the good ole militia boys.

Another REALITY CHECK is when Cliven Bundy says, "now we’ve got one killed, and all I can say is, he’s sacrificed for a good purpose."

I think they're having second thoughts about being sacrificed for this so called 'good purpose.'

Remind me again? Why are they sacrificing themselves?

Old 01-28-2016, 05:17 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
They thought a great mass of americans would join them, and they would be in the front rank of a citizen army, because so many americans are so deeply upset about federal control of western lands. I think.
They might've been encouraged by Bundy Standoff 2014:

"On March 27, 2014, 145,604 acres of federal land in Clark County were temporarily closed for the "capture, impound, and removal of trespass cattle". BLM officials and law enforcement rangers began a roundup of such livestock on April 5, and an arrest was made the next day. On April 12, a group of protesters, some of them armed, advanced on what the BLM described as a "cattle gather." Sheriff Doug Gillespie negotiated with Bundy and newly confirmed BLM director Neil Kornze, who elected to release the cattle and de-escalate the situation. As of the end of 2015, Bundy continued to graze his cattle on Federal land and had not paid the fees.

Bundy was at first praised by Republican politicians and conservative personalities. Later, after suggesting that "the Negro" would be better off as slaves than under government subsidies, Bundy was widely condemned, and was repudiated by conservative politicians and talk-show hosts who had previously supported him, many of whom condemned his remarks as racist."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundy_standoff#Aftermath

Old 01-28-2016, 07:18 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
Just watched the FBI press conference, they showed the footage of the Finicum shooting.
He swerves from the road, almost runs down an FBI agent. When the truck stalls he quickly runs away from it, briefly throws his arms out and up as he is running, but then turns to his left (toward a LEO) and his arms and hands come down around his trunk/waist where he does some action with them that looks like he could be going for a gun. He briefly continues to turn, his hands and arms still working around his waist, then he is shot.

Impression (to me) is he was running away, spotted one LEO in his running path, panicked, stopped, turned, saw the 2nd LEO on his left, panicked, and drew.
FBI says he had a loaded 9mm on him, either in his suit pocket or jacket pocket, can't remember.

The footage will be all over the internet within an hour or so I'm sure. FBI showed an edited-for-time version but said the full unedited 25-min footage is available for downloading.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:52 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Pretty much as was described but missing from the video is the first SUV that pulled over, I assume he ran past the first road block and attempted to go around the second road block got stuck and then jumps out going where, who knows.

Dumb by any standard but I'm sure someone will have a different take, thank god no one else in his vehicle was injured. He just blew thru 2 road blocks surrounded by 3 cars and his instincts tell him to run away from the vehicle and to not raise his hands, who in their right mind takes that action.

FBI releases video of Oregon occupier's shooting death - LA Times

Old 01-28-2016, 07:54 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,102,019 times
You really can't see anything definitive from the video.

The FBI agent than ran out in front of the truck was lucky he wasn't hit.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:59 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
He swerves from the road, almost runs down an FBI agent. When the truck stalls he quickly runs away from it, briefly throws his arms out and up as he is running, but then turns to his left (toward a LEO) and his arms and hands come down around his trunk/waist where he does some action with them that looks like he could be going for a gun. He briefly continues to turn, his hands and arms still working around his waist, then he is shot.
Armed and very much not with his hands in the air. Sad outcome, but predictable with that sort of action.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:59 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
You really can't see anything definitive from the video.
Did you watch a different video.

Why did he not stop at the second road block for starters, for that matter why didn't he stop at the first.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:00 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Pretty much as was described but missing from the video is the first SUV that pulled over, I assume he ran past the first road block and attempted to go around the second road block got stuck and then jumps out going where, who knows.
He was probably headed for the trees/hills, which he thought was away from the road & LEO. He didn't expect the guy in the trees. (I sure didn't)

The longer version of the footage shows the first SUV being stopped and the people pulled out.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:02 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
He was probably headed for the trees/hills, which he thought was away from the road & LEO. He didn't expect the guy in the trees. (I sure didn't)
The FBI knows their stuff.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:03 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,102,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Did you watch a different video.

Why did he not stop at the second road block for starters, for that matter why didn't he stop at the first.
You can't tell if he was reaching for a weapon. He was just standing when they shot him. He was definitely not charging the agents. I'm not saying that the shooting wasn't justified, it was hard to tell. It still looks somewhat questionable.

He didn't stop at the second road block because the FBI was shooting at them. They were lucky that any of them survived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies