Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:21 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times

Advertisements

Maybe it is easier to define freedom by the lack of freedom. I think an example of a freedom-lacking country is Saudi-Arabia, where citizens get punished for all sorts of what we consider personal choices, such as religion. Or where a woman can not show her hair, not hug a male colleague etc. In short, where humanity is denied to a certain extent.

I don't consider my not being allowed to carry guns a lack of freedom as I would not carry guns even if I were allowed to. I have no interest in that whole neanderthal way.
Nor do I need to be allowed to say really anything that comes to my mind just in order to offend others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 10:52 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Default Saudi Arabia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Maybe it is easier to define freedom by the lack of freedom. I think an example of a freedom-lacking country is Saudi-Arabia, where citizens get punished for all sorts of what we consider personal choices, such as religion. Or where a woman can not show her hair, not hug a male colleague etc. In short, where humanity is denied to a certain extent.

I don't consider my not being allowed to carry guns a lack of freedom as I would not carry guns even if I were allowed to. I have no interest in that whole neanderthal way.
Nor do I need to be allowed to say really anything that comes to my mind just in order to offend others.
If we look to the Middle East instead, Saudi Arabia most certainly included, we are talking a very different lack of freedom, and although I'm not really a gun enthusiast either, I do recognize that part of being free is to accept -- tolerate -- those who feel differently (and strongly) about such things.

I wonder, if the citizens of Saudi Arabia were armed like Americans, whether they could fight off the tyranny of that kingdom, or..., would it just lead to massive bloodshed so common in other parts of the middle east where everyone using their guns doesn't seem to accomplish much more than ongoing body counts to no apparent end...

Old 02-04-2016, 11:04 AM

I don't think so, at least as long as people are wealthy due to the oil. If, however, the cheap oil continues for a longer time and the population starts to feel the consequences, there might indeed be movements to get rid of the elite.

Another aspect is that people there are so used to their religion and customs that they might not even notice the freedoms they lack, so nothing to complain about. From their perspective we have an absurd excess of freedoms.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:41 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
This is my first time at the political forum so please bear with me. I'm asking this question to learn because as of now ive lived a shelter life when it comes to happenings around the globe.

One thing I'm interested in is I always hear conservatives say "vote for us-- keep your freedoms... otherwise we will end up like Western Europe". I then go read an article or look at the news on line and it would appear most people from England, France, Spain, Germany, etc are "free". They go to work, school, have families-- doesn't seem much different than what we do here in the states. So what freedoms do Americans have that folks in those other countries don't? I know guns is one-- but they still hunt in England? So can someone please help me understand? I need specifics....

Finally, I know there is A LOT of fear mongering out there. The quote above may just be that-- I don't know. Liberals are guilty at that as well....

Thanks
Freedoms are "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" and those freedoms spelled out in the Bill of Rights.

Then there is Liberty. Liberty is ones ability to act in accordance with your self interest; i.e., live where you want to, do what you want, pursue a career that seems right for you, own a car, or two or three, do what you want with your property ... you get the idea.

It is mostly our liberty that is under attack by progressives, but to an ever increasing extent, our freedoms (free speech, our right t free exercise of religion, and our right to bear arms) are being attacked.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:51 PM

Every society sets limits to freedom/liberty, simply because those limits are necessary in order to prevent trouble due to conflicting ideas of individuals' freedoms and goals.
As always the goal is to find some middle way, as much freedom as possible without risking social peace.
Absolute, unlimited freedom would lead to chaos.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:06 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not sure why you say those folks wanting to sterilize other folks were "progressives," but given the many definitions of Progressive that I've come to know from all too many conservatives, I'm sure the definition you've conjured up for yourself here won't surprise me.

So tell me, in the same way you view and portray progressives and conservatives in this little summary of yours, how would you label our Founding Fathers, many who were slave owners? Would you label Lincoln a progressive or a conservative? Amidst all this insight you offer about FDR and the days that followed him, how do you reconcile the likes of George Wallace or anyone else who hung onto those backward views related to race?

Looking that far back in history, you need to consider context and not who was necessarily absolutely right or wrong about these matters, but who was pushing us forward progressively vs holding us back by hanging onto the status quo.

Plenty of old-timers had trouble coming around, both conservatives and liberals, but on the whole..., conservatives have been the ones that hang onto the status quo, no matter how wrong, the hardest and the longest, and that's still going on today!
You can dismiss it all you want but it's historical fact. The original self-proclaimed progressives were disgusting people who thought it okay to sterilize people they disliked and they were committed racists. The current crop of "progressives" are waging war on other freedoms (second amendment, free speech, etc.).

Old 02-04-2016, 02:16 PM

I like my freedom from fear of getting attacked. Where I live a woman can walk alone wherever she wants, even at night.
I like my freedom from fear of not being taken care of in the case of an accident or illness just because I don't have enough money.
I like my freedom from the need to drive a car.

Just saying

Old 02-04-2016, 02:43 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,814,595 times
Quote:

I don't consider my not being allowed to carry guns a lack of freedom as I would not carry guns even if I were allowed to.
I have no interest in that whole neanderthal way.
Women in Saudi-Arabia don't consider not being allowed to show their hair a lack of freedom.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:59 PM

Yes, it also depends on what one is used to, we have mentioned that already.
There is a slight difference, though. Covering one's hair is unnatural, running around unarmed is not unnatural. There is also a sexist element with covering one's hair, while all citizens are treated the same with regard to gun laws, regardless of sex.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:03 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Yes, it also depends on what one is used to, we have mentioned that already.
There is a slight difference, though. Covering one's hair is unnatural, running around unarmed is not unnatural. There is also a sexist element with covering one's hair, while all citizens are treated the same with regard to gun laws, regardless of sex.

Humans have always made and carried weapons. We're a weak animal without weapons. It's the only reason we were able to become dominant. It's unnatural for some to have weapons (police/military) and others to be entirely at their mercy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies