Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 09:26 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,741,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I'm in NY. I have a cushion so paying the mortgage is not an issue just yet.
I would still contact them before it dies (as one who went thru a similar phase in 2011 but from a different set of circumstances).

Regardless, I hope their is a quick rebound in the positive for your situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 09:27 AM

20,062 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I would still contact them before it dies (as one who went thru a similar phase in 2011 but from a different set of circumstances).

Regardless, I hope their is a quick rebound in the positive for your situation.
Thank you.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:30 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Thank you.
Sorry for typos... Dies and their. D&$n autocorrect on the phone!

Old 02-06-2016, 10:27 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,786,273 times
Single payer or "Medicare for all" works as long as everyone (or most everyone) is willing to contribute.

Everyone in Germany making between 20-80k pays 8% of their income taxes into the Germany single payer system. The employer pays 7.5%. Essentially a 15.5% health tax.

Can the Democrats (especially Bernie Sanders) convince most of their voting base that they will end up paying MORE under a universal care system?

Germany is fair. Those who make more pay into the system but can opt into a private system.

What the psychological makeup of the US voters especially Democratic US voters is they want to make the other guy pay.

Sorry it just doesn't work this way.

Increase taxes for the vast majority of people. You can have your single payer system.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:21 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Single payer or "Medicare for all" works as long as everyone (or most everyone) is willing to contribute.

Everyone in Germany making between 20-80k pays 8% of their income taxes into the Germany single payer system. The employer pays 7.5%. Essentially a 15.5% health tax.

Can the Democrats (especially Bernie Sanders) convince most of their voting base that they will end up paying MORE under a universal care system?

Germany is fair. Those who make more pay into the system but can opt into a private system.

What the psychological makeup of the US voters especially Democratic US voters is they want to make the other guy pay.

Sorry it just doesn't work this way.

Increase taxes for the vast majority of people. You can have your single payer system.
Exactly. Every country that has any type of UHC has a tax structure far more regressive. Pelosi once made it clear that anything that raised taxes on her voters was off the table. If we had UHC, the same private companies would handle the paperwork. UHC would we be a gold mine to the big guys. The reason we don't is because the progressive leaders will never let it happen.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:35 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Exactly. Every country that has any type of UHC has a tax structure far more regressive. Pelosi once made it clear that anything that raised taxes on her voters was off the table. If we had UHC, the same private companies would handle the paperwork. UHC would we be a gold mine to the big guys. The reason we don't is because the progressive leaders will never let it happen.
We've told them that time and time again, even posting links that prove it. They refuse to believe it. It's like they've been brainwashed.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:16 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,786,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
We've told them that time and time again, even posting links that prove it. They refuse to believe it. It's like they've been brainwashed.
Progressive have indeed been brain wash. They hated the bush tax cuts. Just hated it. Said it contributes to further debt. Yet when it came time to let it sunset. They blinked. They kept it for their voting tax base.

How hypocritical can liberals be? Say bush tax cuts reduce revenue. But kept the bush tax cuts for 98% of the population. It doesn't take a genius to realize keeping 98% of the bush tax cuts doesn't exactly help with the short fall in tax revenue.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:59 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:

In the USA as of 2014:

Average employee portion for a medical plan for the whole family in 2014 = $4518 (probably around 5000 in 2015. Then add deductibles and co-pays.

For family making 45k a year that is a lot of money:

4518/45000 = 10%

I would say that 10% of 45k is more than the 8% tax.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:21 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,806,877 times
My family plan's full cost is over $24k. This doesn't include co-pays or prescription deductibles. My employer pays a large portion but the employee contribution is still substantial. It is inconceivable that a plan that is nearly 50% of the gross median household income is considered affordable or sustainable.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:36 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
It will take more than that.

It will take 100% of doctors accepting Medicare-for-All rates and that won't happen.

Quote:
Yet Germany rations healthcare.

And then there's the matter of future unfunded liabilities for Germany (and all EU States). The need to increase taxes to continue funding Social Welfare programs is very real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies