Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you want universal health care?
Yes 174 46.90%
No 197 53.10%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 07:56 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC1962 View Post
My biggest problem that I have with Obama care is the fact that a U.S citizen can get penalized because he or she elects not to get health insurance. This is wrong on so many levels and our forefathers are rolling over in their graves.
The problems is that those that elect not to buy health insurance show up in the emergency room all the time and get treated for free.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:03 PM

203 posts, read 199,171 times
I'm ok with universal healthcare as long as smokers, alkies and fatties pay a higher proportion than those of us that eat healthy and exercise regularly.
The US - this country I honorably served - is rapidly going down the proverbial crapper in terms of personal health responsibility.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:10 PM

42,841 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
So let's pretend that people are not going to the doctor for preventative care because they can't come up with the one time payment of $100 to $150. If you think they can not afford that then how do you think they can afford the types of premiums that the self employed are paying for their policies post aca implementation which is our current version of Universal Healthcare? Or in the case that the government took over, higher taxes? How do you determine who pays what when cost of living varies so much from one place to the next? Do people still get "free" care under this model aka Medicaid or does everyone pitch in, including those who currently enjoy excellent employer subsidized benefits? What about people who stay home with their kids? How much do they pitch in or will stay at home parenting be forbidden? What about people who stay home and care for elderly or sick relatives? Do they pay? How much? Or are they even allowed to do this anymore? While Universal Healthcare and talk of "free visits" sounds great at first glance. It is incredibly complicated and expensive to implement.
We do not have a 'version of universal healthcare' where did you come up with that? What we have is a regulated marketplace where people can buy policies and receive subsidies if they earn less than a certain amount of money, we also have almost 3 million poor people in states without expanded medicaid who have NO health care. In this post your argument now seems have shifted to a rant against universal or what you call "free" healthcare which is odd since I never made an argument for or against that.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:17 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloslevy View Post
I'm ok with universal healthcare as long as smokers, alkies and fatties pay a higher proportion than those of us that eat healthy and exercise regularly.
The US - this country I honorably served - is rapidly going down the proverbial crapper in terms of personal health responsibility.
What about "fatties" that are overweight due to a medical condition? Or are all people who aren't as fit as you lumped into your "fattie" category? Its funny how someone who holds their military service in as high of a regard as you do can be so crass.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:21 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,483,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
What about "fatties" that are overweight due to a medical condition? Or are all people who aren't as fit as you lumped into your "fattie" category? Its funny how someone who holds their military service in as high of a regard as you do can be so crass.
It's Universal.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:22 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,196,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
A civilized nation provides healthcare for all its citizens.
If I understand you correctly, COMPULSORY CHARITY is civilized.
I do not think slavery is a viable solution to the ills of mankind, but I could be wrong.
And are you leaving out non-citizen nationals?
And what happens if the patient does not comply with MANDATORY health care dictates? Is that a criminal offense - a waste of the STATE'S precious resources ?

But if you mean that a civilized government does not criminalize the unlicensed trade in healthcare education, materials, nor medicines, that's fine.
Universal healthcare really means everyone can treat anyone to the best of their abilities. Only the patient heals himself. Let the market decide.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:22 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,677,577 times
Yes, it's about time the U.S had universal healthcare, it's pathetic really.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:26 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,877,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Bad driving record results in higher premiums.
Bad health habits should as well. In fact where I work you pay more if you are a smoker, have high cholesterol, High blood pressure etc. It is fair.
Most people are not obese because of thyroid issues. They are obese due to poor eating habits and lack of meaningful exercise. Not judging them. It is about choice.
Like the poster you replied to, I work out and watch my diet. I also believe those at greater risk should also pay for their choices. If they have a valid medical condition other than an obsession with eating fast foods then so be it. They get a break, but lets face facts, most are not suffering from conditions out of their control.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:26 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,353,723 times
I want everyone to have healthcare, but I'll never support socialized medicine.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Bad driving record results in higher premiums.
Bad health habits should as well. In fact where I work you pay more if you are a smoker, have high cholesterol, High blood pressure etc. It is fair.
Most people are not obese because of thyroid issues. They are obese due to poor eating habits and lack of meaningful exercise. Not judging them. It is about choice.
Like the poster you replied to, I work out and watch my diet. I also believe those at greater risk should also pay for their choices. If they have a valid medical condition other than an obsession with eating fast foods then so be it. They get a break, but lets face facts, most are not suffering from conditions out of their control.
And just wait and see how your body betrays you and your cholesterol, BP, whatever goes out of range. Not everything is as controllable by diet and exercise as you want to believe. A young man I know just had that happen to him a few weeks ago. Does everything "right". BP is elevated. 33 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies