Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you want universal health care?
Yes 174 46.90%
No 197 53.10%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 06:11 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What does "helped voluntarily" mean? The poor would be at the whim of a charity to decide if they needed medical care?
Some people want to take us back to the Gilded Age, because that system of "voluntary help" worked so well for so many people.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:13 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It's easy to be for something that sounds so wonderful as Universal Healthcare but I bet the numbers of the poll would change dramatically once people actually started paying for it.
We are already paying for it! And we pay a lot because we provide a profit of many billion dollars a year to private insurance. A public option with no profit incentive would be way cheaper.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:31 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
We are already paying for it! And we pay a lot because we provide a profit of many billion dollars a year to private insurance. A public option with no profit incentive would be way cheaper.
Don't just stop at profits for insurance companies, we also pay for veterans, medicare for the disabled and retirees, medicaid for the poor and Indian Health for those on reservations. If you hold no stock or not a member of a particular insurance company, not a veteran, not disabled or retired, not poor or not an American indian on a reservation, you can not use these benefits, most don't. Yet we pay those taxes on top of the ACA mandate. Not sustainable as far as I'm concerned.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:39 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Although I haven't read all 213 posts I think it's interesting that the poll is 66% in favor of universal health care.

And that is exactly why the political establishment never allowed a vote by the people on this issue. Our government is owned by the business interests that profit from sickness.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:43 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
and yet they are still getting medicine and treatment.
and yet you (and I) are still paying for it, only at a higher rate. But it's not "called" a tax, so it's OK with you?

In a prosperous nation, people should have their basic health needs covered, period. Anyone who says they don't want to pay for that is basically saying "if you can't afford health, then F-you, you can die a slow painful death because I don't want to take any part of my high standard of living to allow you to live, to support your children, and to see them grow old. My ski-boat is more important than your family."

And people ask "how are we going to pay for it". Easy. You already are paying. Or, at least I am. I pay THOUSANDS of dollars every year for insurance that is inneffective, and then I pay THOUSANDS on top of that in copays and deductables, and then I spend countless hours fighting denied coverage, filling out forms to prove that commonly accepted remedies are needed (My daughter has CF, lot of doctor time), and then fight with insurance when they don't pay bills. And even without my daughter's illness, these things still happen. So, if there is a small tax increase, but in return we don't have to pay insurance premiums, then it's really not an added expense, it's just renaming it.

I am 100% sure that even our very innefficient government can provide better healthcare for less money than the insurance companies can, SIMPLY by removing the middle man, and eliminating huge salaries that add NO VALUE to the system. Not to mention, removing the financial incentive of denying coverage to reduce cost. (I am a staunch Capitalist, but this is one 'business' where Capitalism is at odds with then end-product, which is "healthy people". Every other industrialized country in the WORLD has cheaper healthcare and a longer life expectancy than the USA.

And for those who want to cry about death panels, or long lines, or shortages: You will still be able to buy premium coverage if that's what you want. So those who are fortunate enough to afford more can still buy it, but everyone is covered with basics. And doing so, and allowing preventive care for the many who donh't have it will REDUCE total medical cost.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:50 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You're comparing having health insurance to owning assault rifles...seriously
Just another form of insurance.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:15 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
With the right price controls it could be very cheap. Just ask the folks in Venezuela.

BTW, those profits provide us with better benefits.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:32 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
And people ask "how are we going to pay for it". Easy. You already are paying. Or, at least I am. I pay THOUSANDS of dollars every year for insurance that is inneffective, and then I pay THOUSANDS on top of that in copays and deductables, and then I spend countless hours fighting denied coverage, filling out forms to prove that commonly accepted remedies are needed (My daughter has CF, lot of doctor time), and then fight with insurance when they don't pay bills. And even without my daughter's illness, these things still happen. So, if there is a small tax increase, but in return we don't have to pay insurance premiums, then it's really not an added expense, it's just renaming it.
One of my major complaints I have with health insurance is that it is loud, noisy, intrusive and just plain rude. As a husband of a disabled wife who had to jump through hoops for years fighting insurance companies on her behalf long before the ACA. I would prefer it to be background noise not in my face fighting for what she and I paid for. Now that she is on medicare that stress has been lifted. However, I have insurance using the ACA. And lo and behold its a bit noisy again.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:33 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
The problems is that those that elect not to buy health insurance show up in the emergency room all the time and get treated for free.
They will still be free under UHC

how many people get treated without cost, passing it onto the taxpayers through things like medicaid?

Old 02-15-2016, 07:36 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Although I haven't read all 213 posts I think it's interesting that the poll is 66% in favor of universal health care.

And that is exactly why the political establishment never allowed a vote by the people on this issue. Our government is owned by the business interests that profit from sickness.
I'm surprised its that low.

Many want everyone to have insurance, its how the Democrats propose doing it that comes into question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies