Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 08:57 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
True enough. And Obama is the president and will remain the president for another 11 months because he won reelection. And one of the jobs of the president is to nominate Supreme Court justices.

Glad we agree.
I don't disagree. I said he would nominate someone right from the start, even when others said he wouldn't. I even said that I wouldn't bet against the idea that the GOP approves a nominee in the end.

My bigger point is Obama would have an easy path if he hadn't been so divisive and petulant that people removed his ability to do what he wanted in many cases.

That the (D)'s lost the House and Senate lies with him.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:57 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat
Breaking news.
Yes its very sad...... Thank you for the thread my friend!!

79 isnt really "OLD"

Old 02-14-2016, 09:03 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Obama should nominate a moderate who is acceptable to both sides, not an extreme right winger or left winger.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:09 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,399,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The paranoia on the right-wing side is truly a marvel to witness. As soon as Obama came into office the fear of Obama taking away people's guns drove up gun sales. I should have bought Smith and Wesson stock. Did Obama try to take anyone's gun away? Um, no. The most that was ever going to happen was sensible background checks and closing the gun-show loophole, something most Republicans want.

He wants, to and would if he could but most Americans reject his and progressives target on banning or restricting guns. Witness Hillary Clinton who is campaigning that she would use executive orders as much as she can and sue gun manufactures. Also witness that in one of the debate the one democratic candidate that said outright that people have a right to defend themselves was responded by the rest of the candidates and the audience with scowls.

The fact is progressives tactics and buzz words such as "sensible" and "assault" are trojan horse tactics. They use lies and deception. It has been shown time and time again in threads how so called "assault rifles" function no different than a semi auto "hunting rifle".

But what is in a name?, progressives use the term "assault rifle" to a AK or AR but when the dept homeland security buys AR-15's they call them "defensive rifles". So which is it?

Old 02-14-2016, 11:07 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
He wants, to and would if he could but most Americans reject his and progressives target on banning or restricting guns. Witness Hillary Clinton who is campaigning that she would use executive orders as much as she can and sue gun manufactures. Also witness that in one of the debate the one democratic candidate that said outright that people have a right to defend themselves was responded by the rest of the candidates and the audience with scowls.

The fact is progressives tactics and buzz words such as "sensible" and "assault" are trojan horse tactics. They use lies and deception. It has been shown time and time again in threads how so called "assault rifles" function no different than a semi auto "hunting rifle".

But what is in a name?, progressives use the term "assault rifle" to a AK or AR but when the dept homeland security buys AR-15's they call them "defensive rifles". So which is it?
The demagoguery is used by both parties but the Left is especially adept at it.

Didn't like Scalia much but I feel sorry for his passing.

If Obama nominates Eric Holder, I certainly hope the Republicans have the balls to never allow that racist, corrupt man onto Supreme Court.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:10 AM

89,035 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
That's not what he said, re read that statement. He was commenting that the Warren Courts activism is overstated despite the civil rights movement.
In that Chicago Public Radio (WBEZ) interview, Obama alluded to the Warren Court as a failure in that it was not a Supreme Court that "breaks free from the constraints of the Constitution"* in order to force federal and state governments to redistribute wealth and impose political and economic justice in society (as he sees it).

* That, in itself, is a violation of his Presidential Oath of Office.

"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.".

Old 02-14-2016, 11:18 AM

89,035 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The quote from that speech is:
Quote:
"To that extent, as radical as I think people try to characterize the Warren Court, it wasn’t that radical. It didn’t break free from the essential constraints that were placed by the founding fathers in the Constitution, at least as its been interpreted and Warren Court interpreted in the same way, that generally the Constitution is a charter of negative liberties "
That does not imply what you claim, it is an observation on the Warren Court.
Indeed it does, especially given the following statement from Obama during the same interview...
Quote:
"...the Constitution is a charter of negative liberties. Says what the states can’t do to you. Says what the Federal government can’t do to you, but doesn’t say what the Federal government or State government must do on your behalf"

Old 02-14-2016, 11:44 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times
Perhaps the most touching story is that Antonin Scalia and Ruth Bader Ginsburg were best friends in spite of being on the opposite side of many decisions. What a shame that is not more prevalent in Washington.

Scalia-Ginsburg friendship bridged opposing ideologies - CNNPolitics.com

Old 02-14-2016, 12:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
I heard a name to watch is Sri Srinivasan who has previously been approved to be a DC federal appeals judge in 2013. Srinivasan is a moderate who has favorable views from conservatives including Cruz. Should he be blocked, you have a case of the Republicans being obstructionists.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:18 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Indeed it does, especially given the following statement from Obama during the same interview...
He did not anywhere state in the language quoted that he thought the Warren Court should have evaded Constitutional constraints. You are just making stuff up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies