Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2016, 11:17 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
What does July have to do with the price of coffee in Brazil.
Or are you just being intentionally obtuse.

Clearly the (D's) have played hardball politics with SCOTUS nominees whether you want to admit it or not.

`
It sounds more like you are. They made a choice in July (not February), they had a vote, the vote failed, they made another choice (Kennedy) and it passed.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:18 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
What does July have to do with the price of coffee in Brazil.
Or are you just being intentionally obtuse.

Clearly the (D's) have played hardball politics with SCOTUS nominees whether you want to admit it or not.

`
Bork was very controversial, so much so six Republicans voted against him. However, Bork stil received an up or down vote. However, in this case, prior to even knowing who he will even nominate, some Republicans aren't just suggesting that the nominee will get voted down, but there won't even be a vote period. That is considerably different than holding a vote on someone that just didn't have enough support to get appointed.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:20 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
I just heard on TV that Obama could make a recess appointment if he does it within the next week or so, because the Senate is in recess until February 22nd, 2016. However, I heard that Harry Reid is NOT in favor of this, as he thinks the Senate should confirm any nominee. I then heard straight from the mouth of the POTUS (on TV) that he will make the appointment "in due time" which he says will give the Senate plenty of time to confirm the nominee.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:21 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
If obama were to chose the best person to serve our country, the nomination would be approved, however obama would only chose the best person to further his own agenda, not the best person to serve the country..
You're talking about obama here, the man who hates America and the constitution, he would never do anything for the betterment of the country.. He never has so far, why would he change now??
More than half the people in this country disagree with you, which is why Obama is the president. He holds the job until the end of his term, which is not until next January. And part of his job is to nominate Supreme Court justices. It's as simple as that.

Anyone who claims to love the Constitution would not dispute this.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:22 PM

16,604 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I hate to be happy about the death of anyone but this is great news!!! We should celebrate.

So you want to celebrate the death of a great man just because you disagree with his judicial philosophy
Did it ever dawn on you that he knows more about what the Founding Fathers meant by our Republic's Constitution than you will ever know?
Yet you want to celebrate his death because of your own ignorance.

`

Old 02-13-2016, 11:45 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,770,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
He died in bed but until there is an autopsy we don't know if it was peacefully in his sleep or an agonizing heart attack.
I'm not sure his family will want an autopsy. I've seen a lot of cases like this one. They don't feel well and they go to bed; then, they're found dead in the morning. I'm not familiar with his medical history, but a massive stroke or a fulminant heart attack could have been the cause of death. I don't believe it was an "agonizing" heart attack because the pain didn't wake him up and if it did he didn't have time to ring for help.

At any rate, God gave him a good death, but He withheld the Last Rites. No Viaticum for Mr Scalia.

RIP

Old 02-13-2016, 11:47 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Quote:
So you want to celebrate the death of a great man just because you disagree with his judicial philosophy
Did it ever dawn on you that he knows more about what the Founding Fathers meant by our Republic's Constitution than you will ever know?
Yet you want to celebrate his death because of your own ignorance.

`
Damn, and all along I thought that the 2nd amendment freaks and Bundyites on C-D knew more about the constitution than everybody else. At least that's what they say.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:50 PM

934 posts, read 595,771 times
Republicans are screwed. They will block his nomination and guarantee a victory for the Democrats

Lol. I love it

Old 02-13-2016, 11:51 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
And I didn't say Republicans who block Obama's nomination based on ideology were evil. I said they are evil if the only reason they block a nomination is because it was Obama doing the nomination.
There isn't a material difference between the two unless you think Obama is going to nominate someone who doesn't closely mirror his ideology, or you are saying there would be a very specific proverbial elephant in the room.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:55 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Republicans are screwed. They will block his nomination and guarantee a victory for the Democrats

Lol. I love it
Yeah they really have no good options. If they confirm someone, even a moderate, then the court shifts to the left from where it was. Or they block it for a year, look like petty children, and they make the election a referendum on the Court replacement as well. This would increase voter turnout which almost always helps the Dems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies