Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 01:30 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,511,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
the federal government had no authority to make a ruling on abortion, which had been illegal in this nation, since before the constitution was thought of.

No amendment, by the people was made.
same with gay marriage.

the courts have created amendments that were never there, because they feel it should be, when the actual text says it shouldn't.
Judicial emotions have created rights where they never existed, all on what should be, in their minds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaoLMW5AF4Y#t=86
I am old enough to remember that interracial marriage was decided by the courts, not the people, same with equal rights for black people, it was decided by the courts, not the people. The People, us, do not have the right to decide by vote, the rights of others, no matter their race, their religion, their sex, their income, their sexual orientation. Rights are not granted by decision of the majority. Marriage is a right, many courts have decided that.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:34 PM

25,871 posts, read 16,585,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The SCOTUS ruling Obergefell vs Hodges was a great thing in that it brought full marriage equality in all 50 states. With that said, from my own experience, it stirred up a hornet's nest which has set back the overall attitude the public has towards the LGBT community. It may be because I live in the most conservative city in the nation in the reddest state, so this perspective might be out of line with a majority of the country, but here, the attitude towards LGBT people is the most hostile that I've seen it in my lifetime. When talking to religious people, there is a real sense of anger and panic that wasn't there before and they believe that reversing the ruling and enacting additional anti-LGBT laws should be the highest priority of state legislatures and the next President.

Has anybody else noticed a similar thing and do you think overall LGBT acceptance in this country has taken a step backwards since June 2015?
The vast majority of people don't care about this issue. The VAST majority. I never noticed gay or Trans people before they started crying bloody murder over everything and the cameras started following them around.

So now they can just go away again hopefully now that they have their way. Yeah, like that's going to happen.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,805,133 times
Quote:

Has anybody else noticed a similar thing and do you think overall LGBT acceptance in this country has taken a step backwards since June 2015?
No and no.

But I live in a blue state, and many people here welcomed the SCOTUS decision as a long overdue rectification of an injustice.

I think it's the people you are encountering.

With time, things will calm down. Some people will change their minds, as it dawns on them that SSM has exactly zero effects on their own lives. Others will never change their minds, but they're not obligated to. The only thing they are obligated to do is respect your legal rights. They don't have to like you, any more than you have to like them.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:30 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,841,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
You talk to a lot of religious people about LGBTQIA issues? Interesting.

Do you attend church?
Where do you find all of these religious people?
Do you introduce yourself and then launch into an LGBTQIA questionnaire?
How is the topic broached?

How do you gauge the anger and panic?

What city do you live in?
I live in Oklahoma City. That alone pretty much answers the rest of those questions.

Anger and panic...I would say people burning rainbow flags counts (Yes, I have seen this) as well promoting and electing legislators on the premise that they will fight against the "gay agenda".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So now they can just go away again hopefully now that they have their way. Yeah, like that's going to happen.
They will as soon as fundamentalists stop trying to enshrine discrimination into law. Religious speech against the gay community should be protected, but the secular government should be fair to all Americans and should never be promoting a religious ideology. There are still so many anit-LGBT bullies that the progress achieved over the past several years could easily be rolled back. If conservatives would just let the issue go and accept that people different than them have the right to live their lives as they please, it would go away.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:01 PM

27,220 posts, read 15,396,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the federal government does have authority to make sure our rights are given to all people in America even if there are other's who don't think certain people should have them.

we have the right to privacy...including women.
people have the right to marry....including LGBT

neither of these things take anything away from you.

Everyone already had the same right.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:04 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,590,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
This completely lame attempt at arguing against gay marriage stops here. No one takes it seriously except the people who desperately try to use it. You know darn well that gays are not going to marry someone of the opposite sex. You know darn well that gays could not marry each other. Plain & simple. Period. The end.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:51 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,841,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
You can say the same thing about interracial marriage, which many fundamentalists still oppose and won't allow it in their churches, but have learned to accept its legality.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:53 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,744,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I am old enough to remember that interracial marriage was decided by the courts, not the people, same with equal rights for black people, it was decided by the courts, not the people. The People, us, do not have the right to decide by vote, the rights of others, no matter their race, their religion, their sex, their income, their sexual orientation. Rights are not granted by decision of the majority. Marriage is a right, many courts have decided that.

And there is a Justice sitting there discussing that very thing, rationally and equally under the text of the Constitution.

You should actually watch that little jewel of a video, with Scalia..

Sure those things that you say are rights, should be freedom the people have, but the constitution doesn't say they are.
The Constitution was changed because 5 people thought it should be, by making text of the Constitution,say something it did not say

You should really watch that video of Scalia.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:41 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,976,226 times
The sick, ignorant religious extermists want to deny rights to anyone that isn't just like them and their ignorant doctrine. Extremist christians are as dangerous as extremist muslims, and both are a clear danger to the lives and existance of GLBT people. GLBT people will not tolerate a roll back of civil rights. If they want a war, keep attacking.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:00 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,195,645 times
Quote:
The SCOTUS ruling Obergefell vs Hodges was a great thing in that it brought full marriage equality in all 50 states. With that said, from my own experience, it stirred up a hornet's nest which has set back the overall attitude the public has towards the LGBT community. It may be because I live in the most conservative city in the nation in the reddest state, so this perspective might be out of line with a majority of the country, but here, the attitude towards LGBT people is the most hostile that I've seen it in my lifetime. When talking to religious people, there is a real sense of anger and panic that wasn't there before and they believe that reversing the ruling and enacting additional anti-LGBT laws should be the highest priority of state legislatures and the next President.

I think the rest of the country has finally caught up to my part of the country.

Your hostile neighbors didn't change at all. They hated it before June 2015 and they hated it equally after this ruling. They would never accept it. They are irrelevant and history will not be kind. I hope they find love before they die. I feel sorry for those that carry so much hatred in their hearts. Poor things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies