Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 06:50 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,708,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Krab View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but you seem to imply that the "majority" should assert control over outcomes for minorities.

Going by that logic, you would also support the notion that whites are entitled to deny equal rights for blacks – simply because whites account for the largest percentage of the U.S. population. To me, that is immoral.

You could even go into other religions. Should Christians, as the majority, be able to outlaw Judaism or Buddhism if they chose? Obviously there's the First Amendment that prevents such from happening, but that's not the point.

Can you now see how it's problematic to think that way? My apologies if I've misunderstood what you're saying though.
No, I'm saying that all voices count equal. And, our government is supposed to represent the people. There is NOTHING in the constitution that advocates for gay marriage. If this were the case then wouldn't it have been brought up before 2014? So for the supreme court to say (in a 5-4 ruling) that the former marriage laws are unconstitutional then I call bs. And... I'm not alone in this. As mentioned, 4 supreme court justices also agree with me. If it were a 9-0 decision then I would have a tougher argument.

If you look at history, it was Abraham Lincoln (a white republican) who freed the slaves.
So, please keep this in mind when you want to paint all white conservative men as racist or unfair.

I noticed that you mentioned the 1st amendment. As a nation of laws, we should enforce these laws. Obama and Holder DID NOT enforce the marriage laws, and that (in part) led to the knee-jerk decision by the supreme ct.

You can frame it as a "civil right" if you want, but keep in mind... We had many states vote on gay marriage and most of the time it was voted NO.
If we are going to have an election then there needs to be a result. In these cases, the (gay marriage) elections were basically veto's by the president and supreme court.
Had those elections actually resulted in favor of gay marriage then (again) I would have a hard time arguing my point.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:52 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,708,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
It's funny that the OP speaks of progress going backward when in reality we (the world) have done nothing but progressed or expounded our tolerance and acceptance of those that are different.
I think that is the point. Maybe our tolerance has gone too far? Decisions made today will affect future generations.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:55 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The 27th amendment.

The 26th amendment.

And I was legal voting age for both.

I didn't reply to you. I replied to the 15 yo.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:59 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
First of all, being gay is not a lifestyle, no matter how many times you say it.

Well, for one.... No one is born gay. That would be genetically then, if they were.
Since gays were not in the breeding class, that gene is not passes to any offspring. It gets culled from the species.
Being gay, is taught. It is learned.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:07 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Its not condemning others to quote from the bible. Considering that 75-80% of Americans are Christians then you should show some respect.
You can't take the bible away out of American society. I didn't say that the bible should be used to make law. I said that the US gov't is supposed to represent the will of the people! The situation now is that our gov't has been hijacked by liberals and special interest groups that do not represent the people.
No, the US system was designed to, among other things, protect everyone's basic rights. When the "will of the people" runs up against someone's basic rights, the "will of the people" must step aside.

If you think that marrying your choice of consenting adults is *not* your basic right, well then, defend that position.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:10 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I didn't reply to you. I replied to the 15 yo.
Since Happiness-is-close does not share his/her profile, you apparently have information that the rest of us don't have.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:14 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,475,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Has anybody else noticed a similar thing and do you think overall LGBT acceptance in this country has taken a step backwards since June 2015?
I think overall the trend is towards acceptance, but incidents of non-acceptance are receiving more attention by the media.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:21 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Well, for one.... No one is born gay. That would be genetically then, if they were.
Since gays were not in the breeding class, that gene is not passes to any offspring. It gets culled from the species.
Maybe you should tell my BIOLOGICAL children that they don't share my genes.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:31 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times
Quote:
Ignorance is bliss, isn't it? You know not what you talk about, just spewing nonsense. I was born gay, I was not taught to be gay. And gay is genetic and is passed on.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:36 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Its not condemning others to quote from the bible. Considering that 75-80% of Americans are Christians then you should show some respect.
You can't take the bible away out of American society. I didn't say that the bible should be used to make law. I said that the US gov't is supposed to represent the will of the people! The situation now is that our gov't has been hijacked by liberals and special interest groups that do not represent the people.
As you have been told before, the people do not have the right to vote on others rights, PERIOD. And 80% is a ridiculously high number and I do not have to show any Christian respect just because they exist, why don't they try showing others respect istead of marginalzing people and giving them second class status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies