Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 11:58 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The argument I am making is:

1.) The text of the Constitution and especially the Bill of Rights, no longer chains the Federal Government from taking freedoms and Liberties.

2.) The Text of the US. Constitution has no meaning or teeth, today. It can mean anything a politically appointed and government paid employee wants it to be.

3.) Sure, the Constitution needs to be amended by the people to reflect the change. Not a few people that think it should say that, but doesn't.

4.) The law is text. Later generations like now, have no clue of the intent or mindset when made. Written words, not what you think it should be.

I stand by my statements with reason.
You are not a Constitutional lawyer. You are not a Supreme Court Justice. You have no training in Constitutional Law beyond high school. You are also not the "general public".

Old 02-20-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I frankly don't give a damn about the constitution. It's a piece of paper and 100% changable. When the constitution stands in the way of human rights, it should be dissected and amended. I don't know why your hung up on some archaic piece of paper.
Well, I won't say I don't give a damn about the Constitution, because I think it is a brilliant FRAMEWORK for our government. But it also isn't something the American people should feel trapped in. I guess, as Hubert Humphrey said: "get out of the shadow of states' rights and to walk forthrightly into the bright sunshine of human rights. People -- human beings -- this is the issue of the 20th century. People of all kinds -- all sorts of people -- and these people are looking to America for leadership, and they’re looking to America for precept and example."

The American people should not be subservient to the Constitution. The Constitution should serve the people of America -- all the people of America.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
AHA, there it is, that Dang Bible. Your bible means squat, except to you. Your bible does not declare law. Homosexuality is expressed in nearly all of the Animal Kingdom, so Manny is both ignorant and a fool, he is no authority on biology.
You're right about Manny. Why anyone would listen to an over the hill boxer as a teacher of morality, I don't know. Might as well listen to Cauliflower McPugg (only us older folks will know that reference).

Old 02-20-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Wrong.

It isn't bigotry. Was Jesus Christ a bigot?

We are on a path to destruction, and it can be directly linked to the abandonment of morals and turning away from God, the Creator of all things.

The foundation of our laws, and our society, was the Christian faith. That is a fact.
Baloney. Most of the world is not even Christian and never has been. So the Bible does not speak to most of mankind.

Furthermore, if you want to use the Bible to condemn the sins of homosexuality, and therefore say homosexuality is immoral, then you will have to use the same principle regarding the sins of heterosexuality -- which are far more common -- and say that heterosexuality is immoral.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:20 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,708,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Baloney. Most of the world is not even Christian and never has been. So the Bible does not speak to most of mankind.

Furthermore, if you want to use the Bible to condemn the sins of homosexuality, and therefore say homosexuality is immoral, then you will have to use the same principle regarding the sins of heterosexuality -- which are far more common -- and say that heterosexuality is immoral.
he's talking about the U.S. when he says our laws and our society.
yes, I agree that adultery and other sexual sins need to be condemned. The irony is that the ones who claim this are the same group who "liberated" us. So, it isn't the (generally) conservatives that are sensationalizing sexuality.
And, 2 wrongs don't make a right. You can't cherry pick the bible.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
What's the matter? Are you worried that animals are starting to evolve the ability to sign their names on marriage licenses?
That depends on whether the animal is husband or wife. As it is now, (with gay marriage) we have to leave 1 of those blank.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Simple sexuality is fluid. Always has been except for the prudes that self flagellate themselves for having un pure thoughts.
I thought gays were born that way? but sexuality is fluid? They can't help how they feel?
Gays (like all people) need to be held accountable for their own behavior. When Charlie Sheen sleeps around he chooses to sleep around. Maybe he was a sex addict? It doesn't matter! So, (except rape) a person always chooses when having sexual relations.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:13 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
?????That distinction already exists, and always has in this nation.

We know this because marriage licenses are issued by the state. People who wish their marriage to be sanctified then get a religious ceremony. Some of those religious ceremonies are performed in churches which have much more stringent requirements for marriage than the state does - requirements regarding virginity, past marriages, past adultery, partner's religion, child-raising, grounds for divorce, etc. No one bats an eye.

How do you not know this?

(Also, google up "covenant marriage", which is a real thing in at least a couple of states.)
True dat. In the eyes of a devout Catholic, I am, in a sense, simply not married - we had a rabbi do the ceremony, and with neither my wife nor I Catholic, how can we be married in the eyes of God?

Of course, as most are polite people with a measure of human decency, they're not insisting, wild-eyed, that we bow to their narrow religious interpretation of the concept of marriage. They manage to be inclusive.
An example some here could learn from.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:28 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,338,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You've been told before why your conception of genetics is flawed, to put it mildly. All the evidence is that sexual preference, like a lot of other human traits, is genetic.

But even if it weren't, so what? Religion is clearly learned behavior. Yet our society manages to accommodate different religious beliefs. Not only do we manage to accommodate them, we have contempt for societies that don't accommodate them.
Well and truly spoken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
An issue cannot take a step backwards when it is against the rules of our Maker. It is dead in the water and just doesn't recognize it. I don't see it as an issue. It is a sin. Nobody has the power to change that. A sin is a sin and always be a sin. Deciding it is all right is above the SCOTUS pay grade. All the legal documents in the world will not change the fact of something that is against the natural order of the universe. Dream on!
This is one of the exact same arguments ignorant bigots in this country from past decades used to say about interracial marriage.

It's the exact same ignorant bigotry on display.

As someone mentioned earlier, leaving aside "whose god and which god and what religion" is "right or wrong", let's not pretend anyone actually knows anything about gods or what they may think about anything, regardless of what may be written in some ancient holy texts from some culture or another.

There is patently zero proof that Yahweh--patron deity of some sects of Hebrews 4,000 years ago--is real, and no reason at all to believe Yahweh actually exists but declare that Zeus, Vishnu, Odin orAstarte are just imaginary. That's nonsense.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:00 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
That depends on whether the animal is husband or wife. As it is now, (with gay marriage) we have to leave 1 of those blank.
Nope, both parties have to sign. But you know that, you're just playing dumb. Why anyone would choose to look dumb in public is beyond me, but it's a free country, so you're free to do it as often as you like.

And there's a perfectly good word describing a marriage partner that isn't associated with either gender - spouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies