Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 11:24 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,828,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zum View Post
Sure they are. Never heard of the Klein's in Oregon, or Kim Davis? How about the other Christian small business owners who have been bullied because the intolerant "LGBT" bigots want to force them to violate their conscience?
When you work for the government, you have to abide by government policy whether or not you agree with it or not. If you are morally opposed to war, you don't join the military. If you do, you are expected to fight regardless of your personal belief. If Kim Davis couldn't do the job without violating her conscience, she should have let somebody else sign the documents in her stead or resigned from the position. She had no case.

In terms of the Klein's, there is more to that story than what you've heard on Fox News or from Mike Huckabee. It wasn't simply a case of a sweet, innocent baker couple refusing to do a same-sex wedding cake.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoy...heir-kids.html

Old 02-19-2016, 11:30 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,123,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When was the last time the Constitution was amended?

In your lifetime?
In your parents lifetime?
It changes all the time, eh?

Yes, and the legality of that little gem, that was called bondage, was taken up by the people(actually an unconstitutional southern appointed representation, after the Civil War, called reconstitution) and an amendment was passed.

Thanks for making my point clearly, for me.You are more helpful than you thought, I bet.
I frankly don't give a damn about the constitution. It's a piece of paper and 100% changable. When the constitution stands in the way of human rights, it should be dissected and amended. I don't know why your hung up on some archaic piece of paper.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-20-2016 at 05:59 PM..

Old 02-19-2016, 11:34 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I frankly don't give a damn about the constitution.

Enough said. You have no use for law.
How irrational.

There is no reasoning with you, PERIOD.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:48 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,780,185 times
Quote:
The argument I am making is:

1.) The text of the Constitution and especially the Bill of Rights, no longer chains the Federal Government from taking freedoms and Liberties.

2.) The Text of the US. Constitution has no meaning or teeth, today. It can mean anything a politically appointed and government paid employee wants it to be.

3.) Sure, the Constitution needs to be amended by the people to reflect the change. Not a few people that think it should say that, but doesn't.

4.) The law is text. Later generations like now, have no clue of the intent or mindset when made. Written words, not what you think it should be.

I stand by my statements with reason.
I'm not sure what this means in terms of SSM. Because in the case of SSM, SCOTUS clearly expanded freedoms and liberties.

You are making the argument for originalism, and I am sympathetic with the idea that we ought to be careful about stretching the Constitution into something it was not meant to be. But to my mind, that stretching today is most often found in the areas of domestic surveillance.

It's undoubtedly true that the Founders did not have SSM in mind when they wrote the Constitution, anymore than they seriously considered universal suffrage. But we know they thought that government should serve humans and not the other way around, and we also know that they believed in change if humans demanded it.

I just can't see how SSM threatens the Constitution. SCOTUS simply reiterated what most people think already - that if a particular couple is legally married in one state, that couple is legally married in all states. It then becomes logically indefensible - not to mention impossible - for some states to prohibit SSM.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:52 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,123,347 times
Quote:
Enough said. You have no use for law.
How irrational.

There is no reasoning with you, PERIOD.
spare me.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:52 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,780,185 times
Quote:
When was the last time the Constitution was amended?

In your lifetime?
In your parents lifetime?
It changes all the time, eh? I call you a liar!

Yes, and the legality of that little gem, that was called bondage, was taken up by the people(actually an unconstitutional southern appointed representation, after the Civil War, called reconstitution) and an amendment was passed.

Thanks for making my point clearly, for me.You are more helpful than you thought, I bet.
The 27th amendment.

The 26th amendment.

And I was legal voting age for both.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:20 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,501,613 times
Quote:
And there is a Justice sitting there discussing that very thing, rationally and equally under the text of the Constitution.

You should actually watch that little jewel of a video, with Scalia..

Sure those things that you say are rights, should be freedom the people have, but the constitution doesn't say they are.
The Constitution was changed because 5 people thought it should be, by making text of the Constitution,say something it did not say

You should really watch that video of Scalia.
Ignore then that it was justices that forced interracial marriage upon the US of A, not the people, in 1967 over 70% of the population was against interracial marriage. Interracial marriage was not part of the original constitution, nor were rights for slaves, but the constitution is a living and changing document meant to change with the times. I already know where Scalia stood, he stood against gay rights, he stood for religious domination, he felt that religion should trump the rights of gays. Our country needs to go forward, not recede into the past.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
In the first place, there never has been majority acceptance of the "LGBT" lifestyle among the populace, as in state after state, so-called "'gay' marriage" had been rejected by voters when it had been placed on the ballot. That there has been this "wide acceptance" of this perversion is a fantasy.

Secondly, the number of cases that have been decided against Christian business owners who choose to run their businesses in accordance with their faith angers many people (including me).

So, it's not surprising to me that you find more open resentment now than before. With it totally out in the open, and the "in your face" attitude of the perverts, I think people have a right to feel more anger and disgust. This is an amoral, perverted lifestyle that chips away at the very foundation of our society. That is the problem.
First of all, being gay is not a lifestyle, no matter how many times you say it. Second, the people do not have the right to vote on the rights of any minority, ever. Third, it is not a perversion. Fourth, being Christian does not give one the right to trump the law. Fifth, it is not immoral to be gay. Sixth, it does not affect society for gays to be gay. Seventh, the problem is that Christians want to force others to obey their tenets of their bible and that violates every ones freedom of religion.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
so, you reject what the bible says that God made man and woman? Loving someone includes telling them that sin is wrong! Jesus was scolded for talking to prostitutes. He did love them. However, he said go, and SIN NO MORE! So, we can love the person(s) without condoning the lifestyle.

telling your son or daughter to go and engage in any relationship they want is not love. We have the power to determine right from wrong. Manny Pacqioua made a good point. Even the animals know what is natural vs un-natural.
AHA, there it is, that Dang Bible. Your bible means squat, except to you. Your bible does not declare law. Homosexuality is expressed in nearly all of the Animal Kingdom, so Manny is both ignorant and a fool, he is no authority on biology.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zum View Post
Sure they are. Never heard of the Klein's in Oregon, or Kim Davis? How about the other Christian small business owners who have been bullied because the intolerant "LGBT" bigots want to force them to violate their conscience?
They never had the right to force their beliefs upon those they do business with. No one has that right.. I do not have the right to force my beliefs upon you, not even in my business, so why should these businesses have that right. Their religion is theirs to believe, but not theirs to foist on others. They broke the law, bottom line, no different then if they refused service to an interracial couple, using their beliefs. FAIL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies