Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 12:24 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,185,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
No, England, Scotland and Wales are part of Great Britain.

England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, most commonly referred to as the UK.
And throughout all of this, Scotland and England are separate countries. UK and Great Britain are umbrella organizations, but Scotland and England are separate countries, like I originally said.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:03 AM

25,574 posts, read 56,529,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The real problems for us came with the expansion of the EU to include former Communist bloc countries like Poland. In 2004, Poland gained entry into the EU, and gained free movement within the EU. Most countries put up a block of a few years against the right to work for the Polish people. Under Tony Blair's leadership, the UK gave Polish people the right to work here. All the talk was of a possible 10,000 or so people moving to the UK. In fact, about 790,000 came over in a very short period of time. Others from poor countries like Bulgaria and Romania came. We then, especially in London, found some of these people were Roma gypsies, despised in their own countries. Among them, gangs of pickpockets looking for easy pickings, and some thinking they were coming to the land of milk and honey.

Quickly, the mood changed here. We were being told by government, isn't this great? All these people coming here to work, and help grow the economy. This isn't what our eyes told us. The strains on housing, especially rents, social services, schools, the NHS, and in some parts of the country, massive, and very quick change in the demographics of many towns. A great sense of unease quickly arrived. Each year, the net immigration figures increased. Last year up to 260,000.

It dawned on us that this isn't going to stop, and in fact, seems to be increasing.
Immigration is a common issue on both sides of the pond. I completely understand how you feel.

Please answer this, if you can:
How, exactly, do think Brexit will reverse the immigration issues and drain on your social services and schools - and, more importantly, HOW SOON???
Another gloom and doom analysis of what you folks may be looking forward to economically - inflation - being something which would seriously worry me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/27/op...ol-left-region

Old 06-27-2016, 01:29 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,440,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

Please answer this, if you can:[indent]How, exactly, do think Brexit will reverse the immigration issues and drain on your social services and schools - and, more importantly, HOW SOON???
The powers that be are talking about different reasons for the out vote. But, they know, the overwhelming, number one reason, was unfettered immigration. We all understand the need for educated immigrants, who benefit the country and the economy, but it's been too many, too quickly. Plus many are to say the least, poorly educated.

Many people who have come to my country are enterprising, hard working people. We can see with our own eyes that Polish people for instance, are hard working, decent people. I don't hear much discontent about them, beyond the strains on housing, and massive increase in rents in recent years, they have partly caused. The laws of supply and demand are at work here.

Some have come here believing they will be given a house to live in, and money. We have gangs of Eastern European criminals running prostitution and drug rings. Groups of lifetime trained pickpockets infesting certain cities. We have no control at all who comes here from Europe. Social housing, with reasonable rents is a dream for many young people starting out. Immigrants, with their children are considered higher priority than our people. Wages are pushed down because of sheer numbers looking for work. The old, "you don't like it? There's ten people outside waiting to take your job" has come in to play. We feel we're being had for suckers, and don't like it.

Now, we have won a vote to leave the EU. This will take time. Some say up to two years. We may see immigrants swarming in to beat the deadline before the barriers go up. We can't do anything about that, but at least we see light at the end of the tunnel. Once we are out, no government can keep saying, "oh there's nothing we can do about it - EU rules.

There is talk of a points system, similar to the one Australia uses. A fair system for educated immigrants that we need for future growth. We need to look at non-EU immigration, and why that is high. Who are these people, and why are they allowed in? We will want to know a lot of things that governments have been shy to talk about.

We want building of homes to commence, in a similar manner to after the Second World War. We need millions of new homes for the increased population. If we could do it after a long war, we can do it now. All it needs is the political will. For those who say where is the money coming from? How about the 25 BILLION pounds of taxpayers money handed out each year to people and landlords as a contribution, or even all, of rents. We want immigrants removed from the country who have been here for years and have hardly, or never worked. We are sick of freeloaders who think they can stay as bloodsuckers on the British people.

We want politicians who listen, and start talking about things they don't want to talk about. We are sick and tired of being taken advantage of, and want real change. We are patient, and realize nothing will happen overnight. But we want to see a plan, and a timetable of how long it will take to turn this country around.

Last edited by English Dave; 06-27-2016 at 01:41 AM..

Old 06-27-2016, 02:04 AM

729 posts, read 430,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Whats even crazier than "the elites" trying to stop Brexit is the rubes in the rural areas thinking they can still get EU funds even if the country isn't part of the EU.

Yorkshire and Cornwall don't seem to get it (they voted overwhelmingly to leave the EU).

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...backing-brexit
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ng-them-money/

This would be the equivalent of people in Tennessee voting for Trump and then wondering why their Social Security checks are smaller if he were elected. (He said he was open to cutting SS, which is a Ryan pet project.)

So sorry, but when you vote to make yourself poorer, don't start crying about it when it happens.

Quote:
You must have missed it when he said it, but yes, he said it.

Trump open to Social Security changes if elected: adviser | Reuters

Trump Adviser Says He

Pay attention because these things matter.

Ironically enough, it's funny that people vote for Hillary and wonder why their taxes and or living costs eventually go up (that's what happens when businesses are slapped with such high taxes, AND those high taxes are the costs of continuing so much rampant welfare). Or how people will vote for open borders, then wonder why it's harder and harder for them to get jobs with far more competition for fewer jobs (with companies leaving the nation because of continuing the status quo). Or anyone who votes for obamacare and then wonders why part-time jobs is the best they can do. And of course Hillary won't tell you that. She's probably too inept to realize it herself. But those would be the results. Now who's unable to see the forest through the trees?

Old 06-27-2016, 02:46 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,447,728 times
Quote:
You must have missed it when he said it, but yes, he said it.
No, he didn't.

Some "policy adviser" that anti-Trump Reuters and the anti-Trump Wall Street Journal probably made up out of thin air -- and if not, has zero influence on Trump -- said it.

As usual, you WAY overstate your case -- when you're not just plain making things up.

Quote:
And throughout all of this, Scotland and England are separate countries. UK and Great Britain are umbrella organizations, but Scotland and England are separate countries, like I originally said.
Wrong.

Scotland and England are parts of one country -- Great Britain -- and one kingdom -- the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimuni View Post
Ironically enough, it's funny that people vote for Hillary and wonder why their taxes and or living costs eventually go up (that's what happens when businesses are slapped with such high taxes, AND those high taxes are the costs of continuing so much rampant welfare). Or how people will vote for open borders, then wonder why it's harder and harder for them to get jobs with far more competition for fewer jobs (with companies leaving the nation because of continuing the status quo). Or anyone who votes for obamacare and then wonders why part-time jobs is the best they can do. And of course Hillary won't tell you that. She's probably too inept to realize it herself. But those would be the results. Now who's unable to see the forest through the trees?
Well said.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:56 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,061,263 times
Quote:
Now, we have won a vote to leave the EU. This will take time. Some say up to two years. We may see immigrants swarming in to beat the deadline before the barriers go up. We can't do anything about that, but at least we see light at the end of the tunnel. Once we are out, no government can keep saying, "oh there's nothing we can do about it - EU rules.

There is talk of a points system, similar to the one Australia uses. A fair system for educated immigrants that we need for future growth. We need to look at non-EU immigration, and why that is high. Who are these people, and why are they allowed in? We will want to know a lot of things that governments have been shy to talk about.

We want politicians who listen, and start talking about things they don't want to talk about. We are sick and tired of being taken advantage of, and want real change. We are patient, and realize nothing will happen overnight. But we want to see a plan, and a timetable of how long it will take to turn this country around.
so you can't answer the question of HOW SOON or even HOW it's just vague talk of a points system and seem to be admitting there is no real plan or timetable

Old 06-27-2016, 04:58 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,440,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
so you can't answer the question of HOW SOON or even HOW it's just vague talk of a points system and seem to be admitting there is no real plan or timetable
How do I know how soon a plan will be revealed? You think I will get a phone call letting me know anytime soon.......

I can just see Boris Johnson revealing on SKY News...... "we have decided on the way forward, but I'm not going to reveal this, until I first give English Dave a ring. Dave will then inform everybody on city-data, and then I will tell the rest of the world."

Old 06-27-2016, 05:31 AM

57,386 posts, read 26,302,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
2.5 million votes doesn't make a even a small tremor? I would think that it does even at the very least.

Petition to hold second EU referendum reaches 2.5m signatures | Politics | The Guardian
I don't see them going back from this point but what came out was the most googled name was the EU - after the vote, not before. I think a lot of people didn't realize the consequences and didn't take this seriously.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:32 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,061,263 times
Quote:
How do I know how soon a plan will be revealed? You think I will get a phone call letting me know anytime soon.......

I can just see Boris Johnson revealing on SKY News...... "we have decided on the way forward, but I'm not going to reveal this, until I first give English Dave a ring. Dave will then inform everybody on city-data, and then I will tell the rest of the world."
Nice deflection to avoid saying there is no plan.

Wouldn't you liked to have seen details of how it was going to be achieved? And when? Or do you just trust Nigel and Boris, they're honorable chaps, never catch that Nigel telling a huge porkie in the campaign

Old 06-27-2016, 05:35 AM

57,386 posts, read 26,302,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Seems the vote was more on emotion than practicality. For the everyday Brit food prices will rise. Those that normally take a holiday aboard will find airfare more expensive and the pound worth less. Lots and lots of EU jobs will be relocated with someone other than a Brit getting that salary. As the saying goes, beware of what feels good or what you vote for.
I see where Siemens, BMW, some banks will probably be slashing jobs in GB and moving them elsewhere, they want to be inside the EU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies