Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 12:36 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunak View Post
Let me rephrase it. Your posts are arrogant. I don't know you personally, you're right. I'm not attacking you, just stating the facts.

I don't know where you taking the info about Texans wanting to secede. To leave the US. Obviously, you know all the "nuts" of TX. (,Sarcasm , of course)
TX people are not what you see them to be, obviously, and you and your Seattle dearest is really not pleasant attitude to me.
TX is my home for years already. Over a decade, and I can assure you, seceding is not conversation of the day here in TX.

Regarding England- Brits were an independent country and will be again. Nobody is saying, that it will not hurt them financially, but they will stand up again. That's why I said, let's talk about them again in couple of years, not throwing them under the train right now.
Come on, Texas Governor Rick Perry talked about seceding and so has current governor Greg Abbott.

Greg Abbott wants to secede - Letters to the Editor | Dallas Morning News

Texas GOP Moves Toward Vote On Seceding From Union - The New Civil Rights Movement

As for Britain leaving the EU, yes, it will definitely cost them. London's role in banking was based on its power within the EU. It allowed Britain to punch above its weight. That power will be gone. And if Scotland joins the EU and leaves the UK, Britain just gets smaller.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:40 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
I'm going to find "God save the Queen" on my ipod and hit the sack and revel in this rare victory over liberal oppression.

The English stand up to tyranny once again alone. Let's hope America joins their fight quicker than they did when England stood against Nazism.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:42 AM

7,826 posts, read 4,570,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Yup....he's the voice of "fiscal man Uber Alles".....the market is his God & reality be damned. That's why he's out here striking out & somehow thinking he knows what the economic lay of the land is going to be like in 5 years.
Thanks for psychological assessment Dr. Freud. Market analyst, sociologist for the UK and spinner of tales... is there anything you can't do?

Old 06-24-2016, 12:44 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
SCOTUS ruled back in 1867 that once a state joins, there's no way out, beyond a civil war and we know how that turned out.
That decision was vacated by Dalton v Specter (1994), and United States v. Curtiss-Wright (1936), and even Hamdi (2006).

Not that it really matters, since a state of Asymmetrical Warfare would be counter-productive to the US and a good reason not to oppose any secession.

Brexit won. I hope it spurs the Swedes to rethink their relationship to the EU as well.

Now, under Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty the EU has two years to hammer out an agreement with Britain over trade and other issues.

Quote:
Article 50

1. Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.

2. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.

3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.
http://www.lisbon-treaty.org/wcm/the...rticle-50.html

Old 06-24-2016, 12:48 AM

447 posts, read 488,348 times
I'm talking about majority of regular people here. Politicians are mostly crooks, who eating their soup while it's hot. And Perry was not my favorite.
You were talking about the folks who I live with for many years. Generalizing TX and thinking about them as uneducated and damn people, that's what bugs me. On the contrary, TX people are very good people, full of compassion. Of course you'll find between them idiots, but that's everywhere. I come from Europe originally, was "adopted" by NYC, and after years ended up in TX. And will tell you, that I would not go back to NY. Even I'm still missing my beautiful Upstate. Anyway, I apologize was going off topic.

Good luck Brits!

Old 06-24-2016, 12:49 AM

15,535 posts, read 10,510,396 times
In the long run, I think this will be best for the UK. The EU's low growth rate is more than disappointing. The first couple of years are going to be rough, but it should be smooth sailing thereafter. Wow, I can't believe they actually did it.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:54 AM

6,574 posts, read 6,745,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Thanks for psychological assessment Dr. Freud. Market analyst, sociologist for the UK and spinner of tales... is there anything you can't do?
I have the capacity of critical thinking....something I see lacking in people these days. Things happen for a reason. I was pointing out some of the more obvious reasons why the vote passed last evening.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:54 AM

447 posts, read 488,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
In the long run, I think this will be best for the UK. The EU's low growth rate is more than disappointing. The first couple of years are going to be rough, but it should be smooth sailing thereafter. Wow, I can't believe they actually did it.
This..........

Right? Me either, I couldn't believe it.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:00 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunak View Post
I'm talking about majority of regular people here. Politicians are mostly crooks, who eating their soup while it's hot. And Perry was not my favorite.
You were talking about the folks who I live with for many years. Generalizing TX and thinking about them as uneducated and damn people, that's what bugs me. On the contrary, TX people are very good people, full of compassion. Of course you'll find between them idiots, but that's everywhere. I come from Europe originally, was "adopted" by NYC, and after years ended up in TX. And will tell you, that I would not go back to NY. Even I'm still missing my beautiful Upstate. Anyway, I apologize was going off topic.

Good luck Brits!
First you attack me, say no one says anything about Texas seceding, I show otherwise and you discount those and say not the people "you know". Typical Texas.

Brits will need more than luck, they may become a very small island.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:01 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Every nation should have MFN status. If you do not want to buy something from a certain nation that is fine. Don't force your prejudices on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies