Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 05:23 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,113,005 times

Advertisements

This thread has gone in a few different directions.

The point I was making is that Trump supporters overwhelmingly believe that Bernie supporters are all lazy bums who sit at home and collect welfare.

But I have enjoyed these digressions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 05:26 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,605,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post

The point I was making is that Trump supporters overwhelmingly believe that Bernie supporters are all lazy bums who sit at home and collect welfare.

Bernie Sanders supporters are ignorant. I wouldn't say they are lazy and collect welfare.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Bernie Sanders supporters are ignorant. I wouldn't say they are lazy and collect welfare.
I think it would be fair to say that all of the candidates have a number of ignorant supporters.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:09 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,439,064 times
Quote:

Maybe both can be true. Maybe, just maybe, the rich people in those rich cities are Trump supporters.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:34 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,468,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
In the examples I gave perhaps not. But yes blacks are being kicked out of DC, and this is being done by the government. And yes anytime the government interferes in the market, it is foul play, and anti-capitalist and anti-Libertarinism. The market is not setting prices, this goes against Libertarianism and capitalism.
I can't speak about today, but there used to be a thriving black middle class in DC. They largely left the city after the riots in the 1960s. Then, in following years, the District became the Murder Capital of America.

There was, however, a very large chunk of SW Washington that was bulldozed by the federal government in the name of "urban renewal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosedowntown
Prior to 1950s, Southwest Washington, D.C. was home to a thriving African American community. Many of the District’s African American-owned businesses and residences were located in this area. By 1952, however, white business leaders and members of the federal government began to push for the large-scale clearance of these neighborhoods to make room for new development downtown.[1]

The implementation of the urban renewal project displaced the large number of African Americans living in Southwest D.C. The project leveled 99 percent of buildings in the Southwestern quadrant of the city and forced the 4,500 African American Families who had previously resided in Southwest D.C. to relocate to other areas –mainly to Northeast and Southeast D.C.[3] Of the 5,900 new buildings constructed in the area, only 310 were classified as moderately-priced housing units.
Money is the new "urban renewal" and if you think I'm wrong, try renting (forget buying) an apartment anywhere below 116th on the UWS of Manhattan. Most of the interesting characters that, in their way, shaped the arts and literary scene and made the island such an exciting place simply could not afford to stay. And, while monetarily richer, the city is so much poorer for the loss of these irreplaceable people.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:40 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,573,962 times
Quote:
Why do so many Trump supporters think that liberals and progressives are all lazy people that want everything for free?
Maybe because Bernie is touting a utopian society where everything is free and paid for by others all the while we skip, smoke weed and hear the sounds of ukuleles all day long.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Maybe because Bernie is touting a utopian society where everything is free and paid for by others all the while we skip, smoke weed and hear the sounds of ukuleles all day long.
"Free" actually means higher education and health care paid for with public funds as an investment in the future of this country. Well-educated and healthy people hold higher-paying jobs and pay more taxes.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:01 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,573,962 times
Quote:
"Free" actually means higher education and health care paid for with public funds as an investment in the future of this country. Well-educated and healthy people hold higher-paying jobs and pay more taxes.
And no sound idea how to pay for it. That is where it starts. The idea of discouraging accountability, responsibility and achievement to me is not the way to go. But that's just my opinion.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:02 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,439,064 times
Quote:

The government can't invest anything.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The government can't invest anything.
All working people pay taxes for a variety of things that benefit society as a whole. Roads, schools, national defense, national parks, libraries, and firefighters, to name a few. All of these things contribute to our quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies