Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 09:12 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,439,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
All working people pay taxes for a variety of things that benefit society as a whole. Roads, schools, national defense, national parks, libraries, and firefighters, to name a few. All of these things contribute to our quality of life.

Yes. But they are not investments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 09:19 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,113,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Yes. But they are not investments.
I was using the word investment in the sense that all of those examples represent the act of devoting time, effort, or energy to a particular undertaking with the expectation of a worthwhile result. Like providing higher education and health care, paid for with public funds as an investment in the future of this country. Because well-educated and healthy people hold higher-paying jobs and pay more taxes.

Tax revenue can be redistributed in a way that benefits all of us, rather than providing huge corporate bailouts, massive tax breaks to corporations, and funding needless and ill-conceived military actions.

The rich have benefited from an extremely favorable tax system over the past 30 years. In return, they have reduced the number of stable, well-paying jobs. They have kept wages low or moved their operations overseas to increase profits and keep their shareholders happy. Trickle-down economics has failed us.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:24 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,749,725 times
Funny how one side always equates wealth to fiduciary terms... Then lectures on the human spirit.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Funny how one side always equates wealth to fiduciary terms... Then lectures on the human spirit.
Not sure what you're referring to. Care to elaborate?

Old 04-13-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you're referring to. Care to elaborate?
title of the thread, some of the posts, the labels and stereotypes implied, and the silliness of of the implications.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
title of the thread, some of the posts, the labels and stereotypes implied, and the silliness of of the implications.
There have been many unintended tangents. I failed to clearly state my original point. Which was that almost every Trump supporter I've chatted with thinks that Bernie supporters just want free stuff. Because they're lazy.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
There have been many unintended tangents. I failed to clearly state my original point. Which was that almost every Trump supporter I've chatted with thinks that Bernie supporters just want free stuff. Because they're lazy.
That's a completely separate argument than the current title.

Personally, I pretty much tune out from anyone who adamantly identified themselves as progressive, or conservative, liberal, or reactionary. The current terms are so far off the poly sci definitions that it's, comical.

That being said, since progressive is in the title, the point about equating wealth to financial success as a jab at conservative is rather insulting. Wealth can take many forms: family, relationships, land, a healthy garden, spirituality. Being a target for progressives because I am more closely aligned to the originalist political philosophy, I find it sad, some would say hypocritical (not me, I don't use the term for points) to then be lectured about financial success. One who walked away from financial success, for much lower compensation, because it enriched me in ways financial success didn't.

Sanders is... Naive is the first word that comes to mind.
Trump is too crass for many middle of the roaders
Hillary is blantantly corrupt.

I'll be writing in my candidate, again, the same as I have for 20+ years.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Probably not the answe one wants to hear, but points can be made without taking shots to sound 'smart'.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
That's a completely separate argument than the current title.

Personally, I pretty much tune out from anyone who adamantly identified themselves as progressive, or conservative, liberal, or reactionary. The current terms are so far off the poly sci definitions that it's, comical.

That being said, since progressive is in the title, the point about equating wealth to financial success as a jab at conservative is rather insulting. Wealth can take many forms: family, relationships, land, a healthy garden, spirituality. Being a target for progressives because I am more closely aligned to the originalist political philosophy, I find it sad, some would say hypocritical (not me, I don't use the term for points) to then be lectured about financial success. One who walked away from financial success, for much lower compensation, because it enriched me in ways financial success didn't.

Sanders is... Naive is the first word that comes to mind.
Trump is too crass for many middle of the roaders
Hillary is blantantly corrupt.

I'll be writing in my candidate, again, the same as I have for 20+ years.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Probably not the answe one wants to hear, but points can be made without taking shots to sound 'smart'.
Thanks for responding. It's a lot to ponder.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks for responding. It's a lot to ponder.
Short answer: if one so closely aligns themselves with current political definitions/labels... They limit themselves. An open mind walks the individual path. That can be community or individually inclined. Neither of which is bad.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:11 PM

32,153 posts, read 15,162,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
True-

Our nation's capital is a prime example. The area around the capitol in DC has been "gentrified" and people who have lived there for generations have been forced to move.

We used to own a house on 7th st that increased in price 10X. The neighborhood was a mix of black and white people and was a decent neighborhood. All the blacks are now gone- all of them. Something is just not quite right with that situation.
No one is forcing people to move out. But DC has been a hell hole for a long time. I grew up there. It's time something is done. The changes they are making are awesome but real estate is going sky high. Not good. And no, the blacks are not gone now lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies