Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:05 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This is a tough one. Witnessing someone innocent getting shot and you are the only one keeping the perp from escaping. IMO the only thing he did wrong was not pulling the trigger first. Once you commit, you need to fully commit.
The perp (person A) wasn't going to escape permanently. Obviously, the victim knew him and he was leaving in a vehicle with a license plate. And he was not a threat to person B.

If person B HAD managed to shoot him it would have cost many thousands of dollars to keep person B out of jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 10:11 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The perp (person A) wasn't going to escape permanently. Obviously, the victim knew him and he was leaving in a vehicle with a license plate. And he was not a threat to person B.

If person B HAD managed to shoot him it would have cost many thousands of dollars to keep person B out of jail.
Hindsight is always 20/20. How did he know he wasn't going to escape permanently? How did he "obviously" know the victim knew him? How did he know the plates weren't on a stolen car?

This could very well have been a person bent on mass destruction, moving on to their next target. If he had let him go, and he had killed others (like his children, which sometimes happens in these cases), what might we be saying then?

Sad, all the way around.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:17 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Hindsight is always 20/20. How did he know he wasn't going to escape permanently? How did he "obviously" know the victim knew him? How did he know the plates weren't on a stolen car?

This could very well have been a person bent on mass destruction, moving on to their next target. If he had let him go, and he had killed others (like his children, which sometimes happens in these cases), what might we be saying then?

Sad, all the way around.
Well at least someone got killed. That's the main thing to celebrate, right?

I really believe there are millions of Americans looking for any excuse to kill any criminal, just itching with anticipation to serve as judge, jury, and executioner. That's what leads to stories like this.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:22 AM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

And person A could just have easily came back and continued shooting. Crystal ball stuff here.

At least we know the victim wasn't a coward.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:24 AM

1,166 posts, read 755,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The shooting occurred "during the commission of a crime" (that includes the getaway from the crime), so self-defense probably won't be an effective court defense. At least not in most states.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Most states allow a CCW holder to use deadly force to prevent a violent felony, I am not aware of any that allow for the use of deadly force to prevent a suspect from fleeing the area. In this case, the guy who ended up dead went to his vehicle, retrieved a gun and actually initiated contact with the person that shot the woman in the leg, at no time was he or the original shooting victim at risk of any additional harm. The legal question will really hinge on whether an "alleged" criminal loses their right to self defense if a random stranger threatens them with a gun.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:31 AM

769 posts, read 782,439 times
That's one example where the castle law (which covers cars in Texas) will likely protect the "bad" guy.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:44 AM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
The thing that really jumps out at me is when you read the article it clearly has a bias and an agenda. I want to say that I'm not a gun guy, don't have guns ain't really a huge fan of them, I think that they should be regulated and controlled, etc etc etc.

That being said I found this article to be annoying. Why is the CCW permit holder even in the title of the story, shouldn't it simply just be "Man shot dead while attempting to intervene in a domestic dispute." I mean it's clearly a biased approached indicating that the guy because he had the CCW permit that emboldened him to go after the guy, It may or may not have we don't know what is in the guys heart. He could have just been some macho A hole that put his nose where it shouldn't been. According to the article the guy was driving off in his truck and no one was in immediate danger while he was driving away. That's when you might want to think about helping is if you see some guy smacking his wife around, and even then I've heard horror stories about getting in the middle of domestic disputes, heck even cops dread those encounters.

I just find the bias in the media to be annoying, just give me the facts, and yeah while the guy having a CCW permit is part of the facts, it should read as a sub note, not the headline and also there were digs at the guy saying it was "a job reserved police", yeah, all of that is true. I'm talking about the anti-gun spin that is clearly in the article.

What ever just happened to true journalism the "Who, What, Why, Where", now it's information filled with bias and commentary and even that "information" part is sketchy, it's information presented in a way to show an agenda.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:55 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
This is what happens when you mix too much macho with a gun. Try to act like a badass and sometimes it will go horribly wrong. He should have just called the police and given them a good description of the suspect and his license plate number instead of acting like he was Batman.
Absolutely right. Acting like John Wayne is best reserved for Hollywood.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:59 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This is a tough one. Witnessing someone innocent getting shot and you are the only one keeping the perp from escaping. IMO the only thing he did wrong was not pulling the trigger first. Once you commit, you need to fully commit.
True as well. The article states the perp 'slapped the gun out of his hand' but I doubt he was able to do that.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:00 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
This is what happens when you mix too much macho with a gun. Try to act like a badass and sometimes it will go horribly wrong. He should have just called the police and given them a good description of the suspect and his license plate number instead of acting like he was Batman.
I thought blaming the victim is the job of the right nut jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies