Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 10:00 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I am curious, who came up with the idea of marriage? and why?

Sex is between a man and a women, anything else is wrong, not because of some notion of god or laws.. but because you can not propagate the race. That is the design behind sex in the first place.
So what you're saying is that the only time you EVER have sex is when you are attempting to produce a child? Because really, anything other that that is wrong. Can't have sex just to show love, because that's WRONG! Can't have sex for fun, because that's WRONG! It's ONLY for MAKIN' BABIES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 10:04 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl
whacko fundy parents... Why are mostly christians hell-bent on denying people the opportunity to love and to enjoy the same benefits of any other loving couple?
Don't forget about those whacko fundy Buddhists Naraka-bent on denying same-sex marriage

Old 02-15-2008, 10:04 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Opposition to homosexual "marriage" is most often based on religious and moral grounds.

Most Christians, Jews, Muslims and others believe, because of their religious teachings, that marriage should be limited to a man and a woman. This belief comes from the concept of procreation (originally) - and only a man and woman could procreate.

Over the years there has been the slow destruction of the "family" as was known - divorce became far more accepted - the media almost glorifies those who have had 7+ marriages. Those who do not have a religious foundation almost preach that "marriage" is an ancient concept and that we don't need to have a "marriage" (a sign of commitment) to have strong families. They continue to discount the benefits of "marriage".

The left, in its continued movement away from morality, then glorifies so called marriages between parties of same sex - and the battle lines are now drawn.

The vast majority of those living in the United States identify themselves as being religious or "somewhat" religious (upwards to 80%). A significant portion of this group oppose gay marriages based on religious and moral grounds - and the left immediately criticizes them for their beliefs.

Yet, if those that oppose gay marriage criticize those who support gay marriage, the pro gay marriage crowd snaps back with comments like "bigots", "unreasonable" "stupid" etc. In other words, the left does not believe that others have a right to oppose gay marriage - or to express their opposition to gay marriage (or other moral issues).

Frankly, the left fears a Constitutional Amendment on gay marriage. Why? Because they KNOW that if put to the people, gay "marriage" would lose in a nano second.

I say, put the issue to the people. Let the PEOPLE decide.

Just my opinion

Old 02-15-2008, 10:08 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
I totally disagree with the suggestion that Equal Marriage Rights should be put to referendum and voted upon! Human Rights should never ever be put to the vote!

Slavery enjoyed popular support in the Confederate States, laws against inter racial marriage were supported by the majority in many states until recently; Jim Crow laws and laws that denied women equal rights were supported by the majority!

THE TYRANNY OF THE MAJORITY SHOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO DECIDE ON HUMAN RIGHTS AND CONSTITUTIONAL ISSUES!

The Constitution of the United States was designed to ensure that issues such as this were not subject to a popular vote!

Last edited by elston; 02-15-2008 at 10:34 AM..

Old 02-15-2008, 10:17 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The left, in its continued movement away from morality, then glorifies so called marriages between parties of same sex - and the battle lines are now drawn.
The vast majority of those living in the United States identify themselves as being religious or "somewhat" religious (upwards to 80%). A significant portion of this group oppose gay marriages based on religious and moral grounds - and the left immediately criticizes them for their beliefs.
Some have a very distorted view of morality.
As for the vast majority of people who identify as religious....a vast number of those people are hypocrites...as they don't live their lives according to their rule book....and another group are scared sheep.

Yes...you are correct about 1 thing, that under a vote...we are definately outnumbered by close minded, unaccepting people.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:17 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Opposition to homosexual "marriage" is most often based on religious and moral grounds.

Most Christians, Jews, Muslims and others believe, because of their religious teachings, that marriage should be limited to a man and a woman. This belief comes from the concept of procreation (originally) - and only a man and woman could procreate.

Over the years there has been the slow destruction of the "family" as was known - divorce became far more accepted - the media almost glorifies those who have had 7+ marriages. Those who do not have a religious foundation almost preach that "marriage" is an ancient concept and that we don't need to have a "marriage" (a sign of commitment) to have strong families. They continue to discount the benefits of "marriage".

Yet, if those that oppose gay marriage criticize those who support gay marriage, the pro gay marriage crowd snaps back with comments like "bigots", "unreasonable" "stupid" etc. In other words, the left does not believe that others have a right to oppose gay marriage - or to express their opposition to gay marriage (or other moral issues).

Frankly, the left fears a Constitutional Amendment on gay marriage. Why? Because they KNOW that if put to the people, gay "marriage" would lose in a nano second.

Just my opinion

WOW! You get an A+ from the bu****e's doctrine of "merging things that have nothing to do with each other to produce hatred toward a common enemy"...Iraq and 9/11....gay marriage and all the divorces !

Yours is a true masterpiece! I bow to your writing skills!!

Just a tiny question...did all those REPUBLICAN candidates, like Rudy, get ALL their divorces because of gay rights?

Old 02-15-2008, 10:31 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
The following quote from an earlier post (I don't know how to do a partial quote) strikes me as particularly misleading and false.

"The left, in its continued movement away from morality, then glorifies so called marriages between parties of same sex - and the battle lines are now drawn."

I am a gay man in a committed and loving relationship. I have yet to hear any candidated unequivically support my relationship, let alone GLORIFY it. Equal rights will come; maybe not in my life time.....but not because the left is glorifying it....because given time...Right will prevail. Someday people will look back and be as amazed that our leaders failed to lead as we are to realize Jefferson was a slave owner.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:59 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:

Just my opinion
The media glorifies divorce? How? I've never met anyone who thought divorce was a good thing. And who's preaching that marriage is an ancient concept? Why would gay people want marital rights if it's an ancient, dying institution?

The left is immoral? Talk about stereotyping! The "left" actually includes Christians, you know? Not every Cristian is the "Jesus Camp" variety.

I don't believe you have the right to limit my rights. I believe you have the right to your opinion, but if it's a bigoted opinion, I'm going to call a duck a duck.

Actually, "the people" are coming around. If it were up to younger people do decide, we'd at least have civil unions/domestic partnerships, if not marriage. Times are changing, albeit slowly.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I think gay marrage is a good idea because it would greatly reduce gay sex or at least keep it in the family instead of public restrooms.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW3 View Post
I think gay marrage is a good idea because it would greatly reduce gay sex or at least keep it in the family instead of public restrooms.
Funny! But you may be right.

From what I've heard, the "Larry Craigs" out there in public restrooms are more the underground, closeted, sometimes married men looking for a quick, anonamous hookup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies