Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 08:29 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I only have 2 exapmles that have formed my opinion on this subject...

My adoptive parents: A heterosexual couple who could never get enough to drink, who filled my days with terror, who physically fought...constantly...

My sister & her life partner: A lesbian couple who have been together for over 25 years, have never had a physical fight, have been wonderful Aunts to my 2 children, who travel and enjoy life...

Gosh....who would I have rather been adopted by?
That is a real shame. I am sorry you had to go through that. I think you probably ought to know, if you don't already, that gay people drink and beat kids too. That's nice that your sister and her partner don't, but I can offer up a completely different scenario to you, if you're interested in hearing it.

Are we still confusing "gay" with "happy" these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 08:46 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
That is a real shame. I am sorry you had to go through that. I think you probably ought to know, if you don't already, that gay people drink and beat kids too. That's nice that your sister and her partner don't, but I can offer up a completely different scenario to you, if you're interested in hearing it.

Are we still confusing "gay" with "happy" these days?

Um...no.

In my experience...the gay couples I've met (and their have been lots) are quiet, mellow, happy people.
I have seen alot of violence in hetero relationships....just my experiences.

I know there are wackos walking around....regardless of sexual preference.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:51 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Um...no.

I have seen alot of violence in hetero relationships....just my experiences.
Thats probably because there's a hell of a lot more hetero relationships than same sex ones.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:55 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
If 2 people want to get married, or have a civil union by golly, I say go for it. I wonder if they'd ever extend common law marriage status then?

If if a gay couple doesn't have kids, then they get penalized on their taxes too right? I seem to recall hubby and I getting charged for not having kids.

If a same sex couple wants to get married, it would have no bearing on my life whatsoever.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:56 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
I've never met any gay parents who beat or abused their children. Not to say it couldn't happen, but I've never heard about it.

I think you'd have less of that sort of thing happening with gay parents because we have to put so much more thought and money into obtaining children. If we, as a couple, were abusive drunks, I don't think we would have gone to the trouble to spend $80K for a surrogate and egg donor to obtain children. With heteros, getting drunk alone can lead to having children!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Great answer, coffeehound, to a question that frankly, boggles my mind.

To the OP: I think we'll unfortunately find out what's wrong with gay marriage/unions in another 20-30 years, when the kids they adopt/have get older and we either will see the ramifications above that coffeehouse mentions, or we will see happy, healthy loving kids who have never been influenced by their parents' behavior or lifestyle.

I'm betting on the former.
Here's a news flash. There actually are adults out there who were raised by gay parents right here in the present! And guess what? They aren't all axe murdering gay pedophiles!

Seriously, what do you think children raised by gay people will do to society? I'm gay, and I certeinly wasn't influenced by my parent's behavior and lifestyle.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Could be the way Mother-nature takes care of its self.. interesting thought. She feels over populated, so she promotes gay coupling to thin out the human race some. humm, interesting thinking on your part.

But that still does not answer the question who came up with the idea of marriage or why.
That's always been my thought about it. And if gay couples adopt, they're doing double duty to help mankind!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:06 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,946 times
Yeah....there have been gay people since the beginning of time...it's nothing new!
If religious society would stop comdemning and judging others...and stop teaching their children to do the same...then children of gay parents wouldn't have to deal with criticism & torment.
Same thing with mixed races.

Live and let live people.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:08 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,294 times
considering divorce rates are 55-60% and
the US has the highest child abuse and spouse abuse in the industrialized world

i dont think gay marriage will "ruin" the family

Old 02-15-2008, 09:09 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
That remark should take a prize for one of the wittiest and funniest retorts in CD-F history! I love it.
Maybe we should start a sort of "Oscars" for CD ? Give people cyber-rosettes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies