Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 07:44 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaliza View Post
I lived in Egypt almost 38 years and I have ever never heard what did you write on your post ,It is better to come to Egypt to see who is exactly in prison. but believe whatever you want , I am tired of this argument. I am really sorry .
You may not have heard of it, there are thousands of stories going on that you can't possibly keep up on, however it happened. Open your eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P0ckets View Post
Really there is nothing wrong with it but I for one am a religious person and believe marriage to be definded as a union between a man and women in the eyes of god. So marriage to me has a religious significance which I wish to not be destroyed. I am all for equal rights for gay couples and straight it is just I don't want to sacrifice my relgion beliefs for it. I feel the best solution would be to make civil unions equal to marriages legally, which would allow me to hold what I believe marriage to be and to allow for equal rights.
A better solution would be to eliminate the term "marriage" completely from all legal contexts and replace it with "civil union" so that people would stop trying to define a civil term using their religious beliefs. Naturally that would never happen because no straight couple would accept being in a "mere civil union", and yet these same people feel justified in doing this to a minority group.

By the way, assuming you are Christian (which may or may not be the case), point out where the bible explicitly condones gay marriage, gay relationships, or even gay sexual activities. I can assure you you won't find any. Sure, some people like to give skewed translations for phrases they don't really know how to interpret otherwise ("And with a male you will not be lying downs of a woman"- oh yes, that instantly means gay eroticism of any sort is a terrible sin.) In any case, the New Testament does not even mention homosexuality, let alone condone it.

Regardless, civil marriage is not a religious institution, it is a legal contract with financial attachments. Depriving said contract to members of the LGBT community is no different than depriving women of their rights- it's the usual case of mob rule. And separate but equal institutions have been outlawed I might add.

"But that's not what marriage is about"- really? Do some research on marriage and you will quickly learn that love didn't even enter the picture until this past century, and that gay marriages have existed alongside straight marriages until a certain religious group decided it would rule the world under its theocracy in the name of God (ahem, Christianity, get over yourself, you've made a lot of enemies out of would-be faithful advocates.)

Upon reflection, this has been quite an angry rant, and I hope I did not offend anyone. But I am really starting to get tired of dealing with people so caught up in their homophobia and heterosexism that they begin making "logical arguments" to justify their prejudice, or say things like "Well, if that's the lifestyle you want, it doesn't bother me." For these people, tell me this: when did you choose to be straight, and what makes you think you're superior to anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies